Getting hold of the Demo

Põdi

Being a poor soul with only a 56kps modem, It'll take me for ever to download the demo for BCM. Is there anywher I can find out in advance which UK/German mags will have it on their demo cds?

Failing that, anyone wanna make me a copy and send it?

(Probably not, does that violate copyright?)

I'm looking forward to this game so much, as I've always dreamt of a game which combines my 2 favourite genres, FPS and Space sim. I hope it's a good as they promise.

Also, any idea on a release date in Europe?

Thanks in advance for you help.

You'd be surprised about the download with 56K, Paddy, it's not so bad... I also have a 56K, and an ISP that sometimes disconnects. So one night I made sure my Gozilla was working (to resume incomplete downloads), started the download (the larger high-graphics version), and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, most of the file had downloaded. I finished the download the following night.

I'd recommend trying it tonight, Paddy. You're going to love this game.

Paddy,

As SteveM said... PC Zone is the only games mag I know that's got both versions of the Demo on cd. Whether you guys get PC Zone in Switzerland is another matter.

If you feel up to downloading the demo... one place that I know of, in Europe, is ftp.gamesdomain.co.uk. See their "/pub/demos" directory for either BC3000AD demo file.

I don't usually download demos, well actually... I never do... but BC3000AD was a "special case"

Regards, & Good Huntin'.

[ 05-02-2001: Message edited by: Straker ]

Unfortunately, neither PCZone or PC Gamer are available in the 3rd world (ie Switzerland). Would it be really out of order to ask someone to send me their demo-disc (once they've finished with it of course)? I will send it back on request. Come on chaps, help out a desperate ex-pat here.

Like Straker I rarely download demo I tend to wait for a magazine to download, however in BCM's case I made an exception.

You can also download the demo from www.pczone.co.uk I downloaded from there and I have a 56k dial up and it took about 5 hours all told, using getright as my download manager off course

Paddy, no offense, but if you had started the download last night when you went to bed, you'd be playing the game today. If someone mails it today, you'll be playing it a week from now. Please clarify: do you have toll charges to your local ISP? Can you not use partial-download agents like GetRight or Gozilla? Are you behind a bizarre firewall? In other words, let me know why you can't download it like most of the rest of us 56Kers did. If you just don't WANT to, well, I can't help you, "Mate" [colloquialism edited to preserve British sensibilities].

p.s.- Fribourg third-world?!? I'll trade locales with you any day.

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: pkzip ]

quote:

Originally posted by pkzip:

Paddy, no offense, but if you had started the download last night when you went to bed, you'd be playing the game today. If someone mails it today, you'll be playing it a week from now. Please clarify: do you have toll charges to your local ISP? Can you not use partial-download agents like GetRight or Gozilla? Are you behind a bizarre firewall? In other words, let me know why you can't download it like most of the rest of us 56Kers did. If you just don't WANT to, well, I can't help you, dude.

p.s.- Fribourg third-world?!? I'll trade locales with you any day.

Probably because like most of us he doesn't have free net access and doesn't want to pay tens of dollars for a demo "dude".

SteveM, apparently you are new around here. It is polite to let Paddy answer questions put to Paddy. If Paddy's ISP is pay-per-minute rather than pay-per-month, Paddy will tell me, not "probably" you.

As for "dude," no need to parrot it and put it in quotes. It's our version of "mate," okay? Let's keep the attitude adjusted.

Dude.

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: pkzip ]

PKzip - I'm not reaaly interested in fighting but my post was no more offensive, patronizing than yours. It was pitched at the same level. In whatever posts I make here I plan to be as polite and as non-patronising as possible and expect those who consider themselves senior to adopt the same attitude towards me and other newbies.

BTW, Paddy and I are discussing privately how I can get him a copy of the 3 mission demo I don't have and isn't published here yet in the UK.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: SteveM ]

Ok guys, first of all, chill out a bit!

Paddy doesn't like people getting all shitty for his benefit.

pkzip, I do not have a free server, or free local connections, therefore I would have to pay quite a bit for a @6-7hr phone call, even overnight (hence, 3rd world) and being a graduate student, money is one thing I don't have a great deal of (trying to save up for BCM y'see). Also, I had Getright, but it kept crashing out on me and the only large download I did with resumptions etc was completely screwed and wouldn't even extract properly. Therefore I'm pretty sceptical about long downloads. I'm not in any great hurry to play it, and am quite willing to be patient and hang out for snailmail.

SteveM, sorry I didn't reply to your PM, I forgot to take my log-in password home at the w/e. Someone in Ireland is already sending me the demo from PCZone, but thanks for the offer anyway.

I have played quite a few space sims, Freespace 1 & 2, all the X-wings, one of the Wing Commanders, Starlancer, Tachyon etc. What will be different about BCM? Will the 1st person aspects be as good as a top-flight FPS? I can't wait to take out some planetary defences, land my ship, then take on some meanies face to face. For me, this switching from sim to shooter is the most revolutionary aspect of the game, if it is done well. Will you be able to get out of your ship and inspect the damage yourself? For example, if your engines took a nasty hit, will you nacelles be smoking and fire-damaged?

I've never played any of the Battlecruiser series, so I am totally unfamiliar with the command aspects of the game.

I wait in eager anticipation........

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

I have played quite a few space sims, Freespace 1 & 2, all the X-wings, one of the Wing Commanders, Starlancer, Tachyon etc. What will be different about BCM?

Paddy thats like asking whats the difference between chalk and cheese BC is a completely different games, BC is a much larger scope of a game and the amount of freedom you have is imense(and somewhat overwhelming), the closest I can describe is Elite but that even pales in comparison.

Demo will be on the way during the week(will get it this weekend for you) enjoy once you get hooked it will never let you go

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

Paddy thats like asking whats the difference between chalk and cheese BC is a completely different games, BC is a much larger scope of a game and the amount of freedom you have is imense(and somewhat overwhelming), the closest I can describe is Elite but that even pales in comparison.

I kinda gathered that, I think. I always like the 'get down and dirty' aspect of sims, but I always wanterd a bit more. How much emphasis is placed on the dog-fighting and how much on the command aspect? Or is entirely up to you (ie that's how deep it is) as to how you play it? I love my sims and shooters, but always felt them a little 'empty' sometimes (except Deus Ex and FS2). I get bored very quickly with RTS games and have only ever finished one, too much planning and strategy for my liking. A compromise between the two would suit me down to the ground, and I hope BCM will deliver the goods.

Am I asking too much, or is this what BCM is all about?

I have to say, played it to the end? huh, I have played lots of games to the end, but you know what, never BC3000.

In BC3000 and BCM, it is "game without end"

AMEN!!!!

I have trouble downloading the demo too because my internet connection keeps failing, what's this Gozilla thing and how do I get it?

quote:

So one night I made sure my Gozilla was working (to resume incomplete downloads),

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Nivest ]

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

I kinda gathered that, I think. I always like the 'get down and dirty' aspect of sims, but I always wanterd a bit more. How much emphasis is placed on the dog-fighting and how much on the command aspect? Or is entirely up to you (ie that's how deep it is) as to how you play it? I love my sims and shooters, but always felt them a little 'empty' sometimes (except Deus Ex and FS2). I get bored very quickly with RTS games and have only ever finished one, too much planning and strategy for my liking. A compromise between the two would suit me down to the ground, and I hope BCM will deliver the goods.

Am I asking too much, or is this what BCM is all about?

In BCM it will depend on which career you choose, depending on what you want to do.....

You want command be a commander(thats probably a bit obvious)

you want dog fighting become a pilot.

You want FPS become a marine.....

But even within those choices there will be a world of other choices. One things for sure when BCM goes multiplayer and when GCO comes out the RP threads that go on here will become a more integral part of the gaming expierence and will enrich the expierence even further.

Wait and see what you think with the Demo but I forsee I will be loosing a lot of time to BC over the forseeable future!

quote:

Originally posted by Nivest

I have trouble downloading the demo too because my internet connection keeps failing, what's this Gozilla thing and how do I get it?

Gozilla is a download manager there are a few available but Gozilla and Getright seem to be the most popular you can read more and download them from

www.gozilla.com www.getright.com

[ 05-08-2001: Message edited by: Emmett.hendrick ]

Hi there,

My apologies for upsetting people. I was only passing through having been bowled over by the demo and joined to try and help Paddy get hold the demo (through the private message system)and generally post encouraging things for any other UK surfers.

My best wishes to all concerned with this project. I'm certain it will be a massive hit and I've been assiduously promoting it in another forum, to a general chorus of sceptical disbelief.

Doctor Smart, I hope BCM makes you as rich as Croesus, but without the unfortunate side-effects.

quote:

Originally posted by SteveM:

Hi there,

My apologies for upsetting people. I was only passing through having been bowled over by the demo and joined to try and help Paddy get hold the demo (through the private message system)and generally post encouraging things for any other UK surfers.

My best wishes to all concerned with this project. I'm certain it will be a massive hit and I've been assiduously promoting it in another forum, to a general chorus of sceptical disbelief.

Doctor Smart, I hope BCM makes you as rich as Croesus, but without the unfortunate side-effects.

Relax, sit down, take a load off. This community is as forgiving as any out there!

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

Relax, sit down, take a load off. This community is as forgiving as any out there!

God, I hope it's a lot MORE forgiving than most!

quote:

This community is as forgiving as any out there!

...and its Regulars more than willing to Eat Crow when it's their time. Now it's my turn to apologize. I just assumed... well, jeez, it's Switzerland, I figured nobody would have to suffer pay-per-minute anywhere there. I've spent more of my time in Austria, where you learn to expect less. Je suis un American Estupid. Paddy, what are you going to do when multiplayer BCM comes around? Never mind, one stupid question this week is enough.

And also sorry for being thin-skinned about "dude;" you know how we Yanks (ironically, an oximoron where I live) can be a bit too off-the-cuff sometimes.

Let the full-contact love fest begin!

quote:

Originally posted by pkzip:

Paddy, what are you going to do when multiplayer BCM comes around? Never mind, one stupid question this week is enough.

I won't bother, I hardly ever play anything online. I'm not interested to be quite honest, as well as the obvious monetary restrictions (not to mention the wife, kids, studies etc etc). I very rarely play anything for hours on end, maybe at the weekends into the wee small hours sometimes, but that's all.

So, you're in Nashville eh? God, I sincerely hope you're not a Country fan.

Sure: Celtic and Bluegrass, though.

[/RP]

* Scrolling through Illegal Items, to check supply of Merle Haggard Eight-Tracks...*

"Hmmm, wonder what these'll get me in Tau Ceti?"

[/RP}

There are different kinds of Country? Oh god help us all.

Anyway, while I'm awaiting the demo, just a couple of questions:

These are my specs, do I have a good cahnce of running the game at a decent resolution?

Celeron 633

Voodoo5 5500

SBlive! 1024 Voice

Win98SE

Dx 8.0

96MB RAM

I will probably up the RAM if I have to (been meaning to for a while now, difficult getting hold of PC100 though)

Secondly, any release date for Europe?

Cheers,

Paddy