Demo Installation issue

Guest daagon

Guest daagon

Could anyone help me out here? I haven't even played the demo yet as it refuses to install. Basically, at the same point every time during installation, an error message comes up saying:

"Error 1304.Error writing to file c:Program

Files3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium

DemogfxsfxLaser1.tga. Verify that you have

access to that directory."

If I click on Retry, the message doesn't go away, and if I click on Cancel it aborts the installation.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, how did you solve it? I would greatly appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Thanks.

Guest daagon

But I have two copies of the demo, both from the last two issues of PCGamer (the normal one and the PCGamer special). They both do this. I always choose the smallest installation, and I have 1.05Gig left on my Hard Drive. Any more ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by daagon:

But I have two copies of the demo, both from the last two issues of PCGamer (the normal one and the PCGamer special). They both do this. I always choose the smallest installation, and I have 1.05Gig left on my Hard Drive. Any more ideas?

How much disk space do you have allocated to virtual memory?

I istalled the Medium instal of BCM with under 1gb of space and had no problems> It sounds like a drive fat problem, or an os problem to me.

but I may be wrong

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Falcon ]

Guest daagon

On Supereme Commanders suggestion, I defragged, cleaned, and Scanned my hardrive, yet still the sae problem occurs. Any more suggestions? (Why, God!? WHY!?) If it helps, I have a PIII 450MHz, 192Meg RAM, Voodoo3 3000, SoundBlaster Live! Value, erm... Windows 98, um... oh, I downloaded all the latest drivers for my sound and vid cards, and I have DX8. And after cleaning the HD, I now have 1.8 Gig free space. (Why me?)

I WANNA play this goddam demo!!! Bwaaaah!

Guest daagon

Well... that's that then. Thanks for all your help guys, but it's just not to be. I just bought the PC Zone magazine with (you guessed it) the BCM demo on the cover. The magazine says:

"There are a couple of compatibility issues with this demo, and you may find it doesn't install properly due to CD/DVDROM errors.

So it seems I'll never get to play it

Thanks anyway.

D.

daagon. Not being able to install, is not a BCM problem. Thats completely unrelated.

I think you should uninstall the demo, then run scandisk (again). Look for the demo install folder and get rid it of it.

Then install from the PC Zone CD-ROM version.

Guest daagon

I don't need to uninstall it because it won't install in the first place. I've removed all trace of BCM from my Temp folder and anywhere else, and I've always been trying to install straight from the disk. I've just sat here for yet another 1 and a half hours with ScanDisk on, and its doing exactly the same thing. It seems to be this Laser1.whateveritscalled file. My computer doesn't seem to like it. Thanks for all your help SC, but I'm thoroughly pissed off with all this messing about. I'm throwing in the towel, giving up the ghost, hanging up my gloves. The Error wins with a KO in the third round. It's given me a good kick in the knackers. Its... oh, sod it.

Bye, and thanks again!

quote:

Originally posted by Falcon:

I istalled the Medium instal of BCM with under 1gb of space and had no problems> It sounds like a drive fat problem, or an os problem to me.

but I may be wrong

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Falcon ]

read above again

If you tried installing from the web download, or the PCG and PCZ CD-ROMs, and you get the same problem with the same file, what does that tell you? Its a problem with your system or you DON'T have enough HDD space. Those CD-ROMs contain the HC version.

If you DO have 1.8GB of disk space free (I doubt it), then its not a problem of disk space.

Guest daagon

"If you DO have 1.8GB of disk space free (I doubt it), then its not a problem of disk space."

Are you accusing me of being a liar? When I printed that message, I did have 1.8 Gb free. Now I have deleted enough to have 2.3Gb. Why does this seem so hard to believe? It seems you are too eager to accuse me just because you can't figure out some shitty problem with your own game!

Just for the record, I occasionally find that some demo discs are a bit niggly sometimes. I had real problems installing a Thief II demo once, it told me I didn't have enough disc space too, but I knew full well I had well over 1GB at the time.

Emmett is sending me the PCZone demo disc, I have 15.4 GB free disc space, so we'll see.

Just two points, from a newbie point of view, some of your comments are a tad patronising sometimes SC ('I doubt it'), not everyone here is a top game designer and BC:M is going to be MASSIVE and I have the utmost respect for all the time, effort and money you are putting into the project. However, some of your comments can leave a unpleasant taste in the mouth. Some of us (like me) probably know little about computers, but just about enough to be a danger to themselves and others. And daagon, chill out with the 'shitty' comments. I know it can be really frustrating sometimes, but there's little point in getting arsey over the whole thing.

Just my SFr 2 worth (yes, Switzerland can be pricey sometimes).

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

Daagon give this a try it may work I had to do it with a demo cd once, boot your pc with a dos boot disk with your cd rom drivers and copy the BCM EXE file to your hdd then boot normally and install from the local file on the drive, it sometimes works, give it a try

Nothing to loose.

Paddy did you get that cd yet?

No, not yet Emmett. I'm hoping it'll be in the post for me when I get home tonight (Please God). Not that I'll have time to play it of course, what with the rugrats to be collected, fed, watered, bathed and put to bed.

Guest daagon

OK. I'm sorry about the 'shitty' part. I just don't appreciate being called a liar (which SC practically did).

Paddy, you and your mate seem to be the only ones who come across as genuinely trying to help, without thinking that it's almost too much trouble. Much appreciated, and I'll give the suggestion a go. Thanks

D.

Your welcome. However, you'll quickly find out that my ability to help is severely limited by

a) a complete lack of knowledge of the Battlecruiser series and

B) a not-so-complete lack of knowlege of anything silicon-based.

Nobody called you a liar. I said I doubted that you had 1.8GB free. My post still stands as it was originally written. I'm not getting in a pissing match with you. I've been trying to help, by coming up with any scenario that I can think of. You don't want my help. Fair enough, this will be my last post.

Paddy, I'm not here to babysit anyone, organize cookouts or go for long walks on the beach, with anyone. I write the way I write, some don't like it - but I still won't lose sleep at night thinking about it.

But thats just me. I found NOTHING wrong with my post. After doing tech support for SO long, it is not uncommon to discover that the end-user is either (a) giving you the wrong info, so you end up giving the wrong advice or (B) they don't have a clue what they're talking about. Both (a) and (B) amount to the same thing : a protracted waste of time.

quote:

you can't figure out some shitty problem with your own game!

There is NO plausible reason why the demo won't install on your system (especially if you claim to have tried both CD-ROMs from PCG and PCZ), unless you have a hardware problem. Well, guess what, thats got NOTHING to do with the game. Period. End of story. In fact, BCM doesn't even get called into action until Installshield is finished installing the game. So, this is NOT a problem with the game, at all.

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I'm not here to babysit anyone

Bollocks. We're really stuck for someone to watch the kids on Saturday night.

But seriously. Fine by me, I just wanted to make my feelings known. You'll hear no more from me on the subject.

(Sure you're not free Saturday?)