Demo Installation issue

Guest daagon

quote:

Originally posted by daagon:

On Supereme Commanders suggestion, I defragged, cleaned, and Scanned my hardrive

when you ran scandisk did you select thorough!!( if that dosen't) try a reinstall of '98', make sure its '98 second edition'. Try 98 online updates! i had this problem a while ago with a different program. A reinstall of 98 fixed it.

Tech support is always!!! easier sitting in front of the computer thats got the problem.

I'm not reponsible for any benign descisions made on my part!!

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: Falcon ]

try disabling any anti-virus software including your BIOS virus protection. This is the only way I could produce a similar fault. Should do this when installing any thing that causes an install problem.

p.s scan the program first and then shut down your anti-virus programs.

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Falcon ]

quote:

Originally posted by Falcon:

try disabling any anti-virus software including your BIOS virus protection. This is the only way I could produce a similar fault. Should do this when installing any thing that causes an install problem.

p.s scan the program first and then shut down your anti-virus programs.

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Falcon ]

this was mentioned elswhere in another thread

quote:

Originally posted by daagon:

But I have two copies of the demo, both from the last two issues of PCGamer (the normal one and the PCGamer special). They both do this. I always choose the smallest installation, and I have 1.05Gig left on my Hard Drive. Any more ideas?

I kinda had the same problem, the install said I was out of room when I had 16 gig left on the drive. I went into my "windowstemp" folder and deleted everything in it, then the install went fine,

don't know if this had anything to do with it but it worked for me

Guest emphyrio

I've also had a similar problem; for me making sure that I had the free disk-space on the C: drive solved the problem. I don't know if this is also the case with the cd-rom version of the demo but whilst the demo is being installed it first extracts/copies itself to the c: drive, and then installs itself, so you have to have enough space on c: even if you install it on another drive letter.

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: emphyrio ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Installshield is weird like that.

Yes.

But don't forget, we live in an age where programs can inexplicably crash for no other reason other than... it's Windows.