General Questions

Baloogan

questions

How many CDs would you need for the full version of BCM to play MP, or do you only need the CD to start MP, or do like Heavy gear 2 and have limeted options, only multi with the person who has the same CD key.

Which leads me to my second question, will there be a cd key, or a thing like it.

Last question: how many CDs would the full game be, like command and conuncer and have 2 for multi player or only one and have it able to "spawn" like starcraft

I think he might be askind if everyplayer would need a cd for multiplayer or would you only need one cd to start a multiplayer game and then everyone else can log on. Kinda like a spawn version of Diablo, where if you and your budy want to play you can install a spawn version on his computer and then start a multi game on yours and he can join without the cd.

BCM ships on a single CD-ROM

For multiplayer, you need to have a boxed copy of the game. The CD KEY is required to play on mp servers because it needs to be authenticated. On a LAN, only unique CD KEYs are allowed.

quote:

Originally posted by Baloogan:

Some games (Starcraft, Mechcommander, mechwarroior, dark reign 1 & 2, Homeworld, Homeworld:C, Warcraft1 & 2, Star- trek armada, and others) allow you to install and play MP w/o the disk.

Notice that the SC said that the CD KEY would be required, not the CD itself. Still, as he also said, your friends are going to have to buy their own copies if they want to play against you. Why that is a foreign idea is beyond me.

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

quote:

Notice that the SC said that the CD KEY would be required, not the CD itself. Still, as he also said, your friends are going to have to buy their own copies if they want to play against you. Why that is a foreign idea is beyond me.

I'm beginning to work up a theory, "under 18, lives in Canada," the theory of course has a few more quirks to fix yet, but it is getting there!!

Also, as a single programmer with his employees in remote places, the chances of the SC having his security codes cracked are that much less likely. I have seen cracks for Quake 3, Starcraft, and a number of others, but being a small developer gives the advantage to the SC as far as security of that little serial# program is concerned, any code can be cracked, don't get me wrong, but I think BCM is going to be one of the most secure you've seen. Right SC?

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

Wanna bet how much time it's gonna take for a cracker group to come out with a regkey generator or a crack? I'd say not too long... So far all the games I've played have been cracked one way or the other.

I presume most game developers don't have time to develop super protection schemes for their games but I may be wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by Tekrebel:

I presume most game developers don't have time to develop super protection schemes for their games but I may be wrong.

Which is why smart game developers don't create their own protection schemes, they go to an outside developer. They aren't security experts, they're game developers.

I am currently using Softlocx, for protecting the Beta versions. Even that, has its own internal flaws (premature expirations etc), apart from there being cracks available on the Net (at least thats what I'm told).

I am going to probably be using SafeDisc 2.0 protection, for BCM.

At any rate, as complex as this game is, if anyone in their right minds want to crack it, thats their problem.

Very true. Don't use safedisk. There's a million progs that can very easily bypass it. I can even give you a website (to SC) if you want to take a look. But then again, pretty much everything else can be cracked too if you want it enough. Also it depends if you want a cracked version of BC:M or the original.

CloneCD DOES copy a CD using safedisc 2.0, but the copy is not recognized as the original. in order to get by that they would have to make a crack that keeps it from looking for the CD.

• 4 weeks later...

There are programs that you can use to make a exact copy of the CD on your hard drive then use deamon tools to play it in a phatom cd-rom drive. It runs just like you had the CD in. You only need basic computer knowledge.