Survivability?

Spuzzum

Well, even though Klingon Academy wasn't the greatest game of all time (or even a great game), I absolutely loved how long battles took; capital ships, brimming with weapons, would dive and collapse onto each other and launch a massive volley of weapons. The other ship, of course, would just sit there, look at the attacker, laugh, and say "Is that all you've got?!"

Though BC3000 and BCM are far from comparable to KA (in a good sense, that is), I'm just wondering why ships are so easy to destroy in this game...

I mean, I can launch a salvo of full-power beams at a starstation and knock it apart in the span of 20 seconds. And if another ship doesn't move, I can blow it up in even less time.

(What's more, I find that I'm constantly outmaneuvering the enemies and blasting them to bits without my shields getting a dent in them.)

Would lasers and weapons be toned down? While I'm all for mass-destruction, I think ship vs. ship is much too easy. Of course, that's just me, and if other people disagree, I'll take back this statement. =)

I HOPE thatthe weapons will be tuned down from the demo ep1, because i would hate to ripped apart by an intercepter, while i was docked in a huge station. (I have killed stations with intercepters alone), and that missiles tuned up.

I agree with you that ships and stations are very easy if not too easy to destroy in the first demo. Cloak, approach, launch a volley of missiles, fire a couple of shots, it's all over in under 10 seconds. A bit too easy.

I'm fairly new to the BC universe and I haven't read the entire BCM VCF but when I shoot a "dead" station with an interceptor, the explosion seems a bit too large for just a single shot.

Then again, that's just my personnal opinion.

Well from general discussion that I have heard...I am sure stations will become total hell to deal with....it would not surprise me if the SC has a dish of wonderful tricks and traps yet to throw at us.

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

quote:

Think about the explosion of the Death Star in StarWars when it just took a couple of torpedoes.

try to see if you can have a direct at the ship's reactor that you are attacking, it will blow up too.

Seriously, the battles in BCM are too short lived. You get shot down too easily, and you shoot down the enemy too easily. And in the warmonger mission, I bring down a station in 10 seconds but I only get half my shield down. woaaaa...

Or the guns need to be powered-down, or the shields and armoer need to be strenghtened. And a lot of it.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

[QB]Seriously, the battles in BCM are too short lived. You get shot down too easily, and you shoot down the enemy too easily. And in the warmonger mission, I bring down a station in 10 seconds but I only get half my shield down. woaaaa...[QB]

While I do agree and I am, after all, the original supporter of this topic...

...isn't the Warmonger mission the one where you're supposed to protect the station?

Yeah, I know, you're talking about the Gammulan stations, but it's still an ambiguous statement.

quote:

...isn't the Warmonger mission the one where you're supposed to protect the station?

Yeah, I know, you're talking about the Gammulan stations, but it's still an ambiguous statement.

Well, they attacked us, I won't stay there and let them unpunished! An Orion commander will never let that happen!

And they provoked me. I was just watching the station closely, and they started attacking me. Who do they think they are?

Here's my take: you all are right, the stations do seem a tad too weak.

However, if realism is your goal, interceptors are a tad too strong. A single, well placed missile should take one out - at least send it out of control.

You all better enjoy the quiet time you have now, when you get the Game Disk you will find it hard just trying to stay alive let alone shooting down a starstation. The energy beams from the stations will reduce you to a cinder if the missles don't get to you first. The balance for the demo is eased up so that people who are new to the game won't be scared away. If you you think that you can survive more than 20 secs. trying to take out a station good luck.

Do you really think that the SC would make "The" game easy for you, boy are you new to the BC world....

'MAX'

quote:

Originally posted by Maxamillian:

Do you really think that the SC would make "The" game easy for you, boy are you new to the BC world....

Problem with that was that ships could still be blown up too easily in the old version... not other ships, mind you, but your own ship.

I couldn't even take on an armed transport by myself without losing a huge portion of my shields, if not all of them and half of my integrity.

If he made the demo purposefully easy, I'm still worried, because that's WAY too easy. Think of it this way; you have an easy game and you make it easier and it will be really easy. The demo is INCREDIBLY easy.

Of course, I have no doubts in the SC's playbalancing strategy. He'll probably make it nice and fun. Heck, in the demo I tried to take on an 'aestrom' and was beaten silly with its PTA. (In fact, my cargo bay blew up and I lost everything. That made me mad. )

I guess I'm just making sure that the final version will present a challenge. And I hope those enemy ships will learn how to point and shoot with their main guns...!

All this talk is making me worried that SC will get upset and make the game SO HARD that then we wont be able to have fun but sweat behind the screen and think about the next encounter. So lets not mess with this and leave it up to him to decide.

The fact of the matter is, it took me over 50 hours of playing BC3000AD to get all the key commands down pat, and then learn to dogfight, and then learn all the tricks to take down a station without getting my ticket punched.

By "dumbing down the Demo" the SC has made it much easier for newbies to get a feel for the game without the frustration that comes with getting destroyed every time you turn around.

The gold release is going to be a killer, and you are all going to be in for a shock, it will not be nearly as easy as you think it is, NOT NEARLY. You wanna challenge, you're gonna get one, that I promise!!

LOL ROFLMAO!!!

And just wait until MP, when you will be fighting live commanders and not just the AI, oohh doggy, then you'll be complaining how hard he made the game and if he can't dumb it down a bit!! Watch what you wish for, you just might get it!!

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

Here's my take: you all are right, the stations do seem a tad too weak.

However, if realism is your goal, interceptors are a tad too strong. A single, well placed missile should take one out - at least send it out of control.

Uuhhh... I usually consider interceptors (and fighters) rather weak - not just in bc*, mind. Unless you can flood a target with them, they're often toast. (With pilot meat in them, at that.)

That applies to bc3k, bcm, homeworld:cataclysm, and every other game I've played not having fighters as your main craft.

On another note, I usually think of interceptors (I'm talking bc* now) as a bit too costly for sending into battle... perhaps I'll send them out as a last resort sometime... It might be different when I don't have the farthest clue on how to spend some gigacredits though.

Only real reason for me wanting a carrier would be the research bay, and the cloaking system.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Watch what you wish for, you just might get it.

Okay, I wish I had a million dollars, an extremely shapely girlfriend, and two plane tickets to Bermuda.

Seriously, though, I'm a fairly hardcore pilot... I'm not worried, even if it is quite hard. I'd be worried if it was too easy, though.

(Sigh, the nuances of post-pubescence... )