FC-1... Dead, or not dead?

Spuzzum

I watched on my scanner in horror as my Alinix fighter flew straight into the path of the other ship's missile. After a boom, half of its armour and all of its shields were gone. My attention was diverted with another fighter (who was having a world of fun dodging my lowest power lasers... that is, he wasn't having the best of luck doing it ). Then I looked at my fighter complement, and where FC-1 used to be, there was a red box, rather than a green one.

I looked in my Logistix crafts and FC-1 was marked as destroyed.

But the pilots, both of 'em, were still alive in the CSD.

So my question is, how?

And one other thing... what exactly does OC stand for? Orbital Complement? I could never figure that out, since vehicles aren't orbital... anyway, whatever.

If i remember rightly once a fighter is destroyed its crew are ejected in a life pod which then tries to make its way back to the battlecruiser. This can take a long time depending on how far away you are from the battlecruiser. Some one else could probably shed more light on this

quote:

Thats odd. They should be dead and listed as such in the CSD. Unless you happened to look at it before it was updated.

Well... I don't know what to say... I'll see if I can launch another attack on Wayfarer and see what happens when and if my fighter is blown away. But after several minutes, both were definitely not dead. Maybe I should've checked Perscan...

Both pilots had a reduced life factor when I looked at Tactical|Crew. One had around 58 and the other had something like 49. So whatever happened, they got hurt in the process.

(If they can launch into escape pods, that's probably what happened. )

quote:

FC = Fighter Craft

OC = Other Craft e.g. ATV, CAV etc

SC = Shuttle Craft

Other Craft! Doh!

I knew the other two (well, I figured they were 'complement', but either word makes sense). Thanks, though.

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: Spuzzum ]

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that you had this problem..as I have had this very same situation. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what was going on. Basically the FC is space dust but yet your pilots are seemly alive...somewhere.. in the "twilite zone" (cue erie music). They exist in the roster for pilots and in the perscan as well. Thier location is listed as the FC they were in. So it could be the updating problem that the SC mentioned. They really have become one with the cosmos along with their FC..it's just that your menus don't know it. Hopefully this will be fixed in the final?

This happens to me everytime I play the scenario. It doesn't happen with every fighter though (I tend to lose all of them). It happens with up to two of the four FCs. In some cases, one of the pilots or co-pilots appear on board the CC after their craft is destroyed!

Going off on a slight tangent, I had a lot of fun with this scenario. For some reason, Orion 1 didn't go to the Wayfarer as I ordered it, but the station went down pretty easy and I didn't lose any of my fighters. Once I'd done the station, I hopped into a fighter, set the BC to SAD and did a bit of dog-fighting. One question, when using missiles, the BC fires automatically once a lock is obtained, but the fighters require you to fire them. Should it be like this, and can I turn off the automatic launch in the BC? I also had a shuttle stolen, but by who? I never realised I had intruders until they buggered off with my property! How did they get there?

Any more news on a release date SC?

This is a direct quote from the BC3000ad Man.

I dont know whether SC has change it at all.

But!!!

Emergency Operations

The front part of the Interceptor is a self contained module which can be ejected using

the [CTRL+E] command. If the integrity of the craft should fall to critical conditions, the

computer system will sound a klaxon with an eject recommendation. Failure to eject will

result in the destruction of the ship and the death of both pilots once the nuclear core

explodes.

Upon a successful ejection of the module into space, the main body shell of the craft will

self-destruct. A homing device in the module will automatically send a signal to the

Battlecruiser announcing its location and status. Using data feedback from the

Battlecruiser computer systems, the module is capable of locating and docking with the

Battlecruiser. Upon successful retrieval, surviving pilots are taken to MediBay for post-flight

checks. The computer system in the module is retrieved for analysis and the

module itself is discarded.

If the module is ejected on a planet or moon, it will fall to the ground under gravity (if

applicable). Damage at speed of impact determines the survival of the occupants. Once

the module lands, the pilots will be able to leave the craft and await extraction once the

Battlecruiser receives the location of the ejected module. Surviving personnel emitting

an IFF beacon can also be tracked using the SUL mode of the TACSCAN.

The module has rations that can sustain the pilots for a period of 8 hours. It also

contains protective suits in case the pilots chose to exit the craft in hostile environments.

The pilots carry standard issue sidearms which may be used to defend their location

should they come under attack by hostile forces.

Paddy,

To prevent intruders stealing your equipment you have to turn of launch control. I don't know how this would work if you jumped in an Intercepter and left the BC in AI mode. Would the AI turn on the launch control or keep it switched off. If it is kept switch off how then do you dock.

I will check if you have access to the command options of the BC, i.e. Logistix control whilst in command of an Interceptor. I can't remember.

You can also install a number of marines in each of the shuttles. That way they will defend any shuttle the intruders attempt to take. The only problem I have found with that is usually the intruder manages to launch the shuttle then has a fight with the marines, and then when injured enough blows up the shuttle anyway. Best way is to leave marines in the shuttle (useful for shuttle operations anyway) and manual switch launch control on and off as required.

Jez.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrrian:

I will check if you have access to the command options of the BC, i.e. Logistix control whilst in command of an Interceptor. I can't remember.

I don't think I would, I tried to launch a shuttle to do a cargo-sweep while I was still in my Interceptor, but it wouldn't. So I don't think I could access Logistix either. Funny thing about my stolen shuttle, was that it said a prisoner has stolen it. I didn't realise I had any prisoners. I certainly don't remember getting an intruder alert either.