BCM Episode 2 demo - What I think

Note to Everyone :

The Battlecruiser Mk2 doesn't fit very well on the deck of that naval carrier.

One would think no one would be stupid enough to risk their battlecruiser for such a maneuver, but I went against the odds, the voices that said I couldn't do it... and I didn't do it. Sure I landed... and everything seemed cool at first. then the BC kind of got chucked over the side. that sucked. I played this on Windows ME for the first time today and had a perfectly smooth interface. Also though, I was playing without a 3d card and the graphics for water,land, and the commander were screwed up... but that doesn't stop my computer at home. Probes look good, I like being able to monitor other regions. I can't wait till the full version comes out...

I love this game.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustBuster

The demo is fun, I've been playing it for hours. It took some time for the game to grow on me though.

The terrain engine is really nice. I like the way everything becomes more detailed as you get close.

However, I'm having a problem which totally defeats the fun of attacking a planetary base in an interceptor or any other craft.

Whenever I'm near a planetary base, the game reads from the hdd with an interval of around 2 seconds causing the game to halt for around 0.5 seconds or less, and then catch up the time it lost. This makes it nearly impossible to play. Is this a common problem, or am I the only one to experience this?

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 900Mhz

128MB RAM

GeForce 2 GTS

Here's a few other issues I have noticed,

Accessing the tacops computer with an altitude less than 15000 feet always makes the craft bump into ground immediately and get seriously damaged, unless vtol is turned on.

I can start up and exit the demo exactly two times after a reboot. Whenever I try to start the demo after that, I get an error message saying "Bcmdemo has caused an error in ".

Attempting to change resolution during the game will make the game hang.

I got an intruder on board that was heading right for the shuttles to escape. Unfortunately I had no marines in the shuttles at that time, so I sent one to each in hope they would make it there before him. They didn't and the intruder escaped in shuttle 4. I went to the tactical computer, moved my mouse over the assignment dropdown arrow for the marine which was ordered to go to shuttle 4, (he was still ordered to do so, not off duty as he should have been) and the game crashed.

The cloud layer in a large area around the eastern insurgent base on Farstar has the same altitude as the water except for directly over the base. The cloud layer everywhere else and on all other planets is normal.

When trying to access tacops in the madride region, the game crashes. I tried entering the region while in tacops, and got an error message: error opening madrideptype15

Probably a missing file or something.

quote:

Whenever I'm near a planetary base, the game reads from the hdd with an interval of around 2 seconds causing the game to halt for around 0.5 seconds or less, and then catch up the time it lost. This makes it nearly impossible to play. Is this a common problem, or am I the only one to experience this?

Defrag your hard drive and don't have any programs running when playing.

quote:

Attempting to change resolution during the game will make the game hang

Don't do it. Pick your resolution before entering the game.

quote:

When trying to access tacops in the madride region, the game crashes. I tried entering the region while in tacops, and got an error message: error opening madrideptype15

Probably a missing file or something.

Assuming you are running the latest E2 bonus scenario build:

1. Open up PTE2PTEDEFS.INI in Notepad or similar editor and change line 169 from PTYPE11 to PTYPE15

2. Look in the PTE2STETEX folder and rename PTYPE11.TGA to PTYPE15.TGA

That should fix it. I thought I included both files in the distribution, but obviously not.

Later tonite I will repack the E2 demo bonus mission to contain a new PTE2DEFS.INI file, which will fix this problem, and upload it to the download mirrors. I'm quite surprised that nobody has reported this in the demo. I guess they must not have gone as far as Madride*. Wimps

*You'd have to jump from Farstar to Trion to Hellseye to Sorax and then to Madride.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I guess they must not have gone as far as Madride*. Wimps

*You'd have to jump from Farstar to Trion to Hellseye to Sorax and then to Madride.

Personally, I think my actions of remaining in Farstar to besiege the Insurgents is rather brave, especially taking into consideration how badly they kicked my arse when I was strafing their naval fleet.

Ok, here's more random spewage of thoughts from me on the demo

ASUS KT133A mobo

AMD Athlon 850

256 MB RAM

ATI Radeon 32MB DDR

(other stuff omitted)

OK, first up: I had an icky tearing problem on planet. BUT...SC's aware of this and its a driver problem as noted in the VCF. Although I must admit I'm curious as to why BCM isn't listed on ATI's page here yet. They do have demos listed on that site (e.g. "Oni") so I'm just wondering why BCM isn't up there too yet. I'll have to get on their case about this But I followed the VCF's instructions and started E2 with the /nd1 switch, which seemed to fix things for me.

Wow. Things look a lot more interesting "downstairs" now. Stupid Insurgents from IA-02 kept blowing me up pretty quick, but I got to have some fun on the ground. Though it took me a while to figure out how to get my engine in gear - I forgot I had my throttle enabled in joystick mode and it was zeroed out for the first five minutes. Left me a sitting duck. Rather than get blown up, I hopped outside my vehicle, and promptly got lost. Couldn't remember where I parked it, though it may have been blown up. Had fun wandering around and looking at the base.

I tried to get my character to do a "salute" too, since I noticed that in the FP keyboard command chart, but maybe this isn't implemented yet because he didn't. Or maybe I should have checked the keystroke list in Config to be sure it was even in there. Oh well. But I ended up putting my marine through his paces, with weapons, positions (crouch vs. prone vs. walk vs. run). Might try more sometime later. Nice model, BTW.

I was blown up several more times, but it was worth it because in between blowing up I got to see the explosion effects on the ground from the stuff I blew up. Somebody else seemed to be pounding the base too, though maybe it was just my missiles finally reaching their target in the distance and blasting it, or else the enemy could have been lousy shots (low AI?) and was causing collateral damage against their own structures. But I enjoyed watching the little "sparks" of destruction that rained back to the ground from an exploded building. Also, during a (very brief) lull, I was watching one of the ground structures get rebuilt. Very weird looking, seeing things all "skeletal" and all, but nice to see how dynamic the world and everything really is.

Speaking of rain...cool! Very nice effect. Having weather enabled seemed to cause framerate to drop due to HDD "stuttering", but SC seems to think this is fragmentation related. Rest assured, I will be doing that, but only after I uninstall E2 and install BCM I notices snow effects too when I managed to beach my cruiser in the arctic. Very nice effects, SC, adds to the game quite nicely. Especially the rolling thunder in the distance...

Anyway, I got tired of getting blown up a lot in IA-02 so I went back to IA-01. I tried to watch the incoming insurgent carrier emerge from hyperspace as mentioned in the Readme. Odd, but the effect isn't as good as I last saw it and remember seeing it in BCStudio, not as many colored lights and that; perhaps this was a side effect of /nd1? Ditto on watching my cruiser doing planetfall. I switched to an external camera view (F9 or F10), I think, as I plummetted towards the planet. No firy reentry. /nd1 culprit? Wrong camera angle? Dunno. But hey, don't think that doesn't mean the sequences weren't good or anything. Especially leaving the planet: watching your cruiser, nose to the heavens, climb out of the atmosphere, a final flaring its drive contrails - I can just imagine that maybe that's what it really would look like in RL, if it existed. And planet infall? Same thing, just watching it plummet into the atmosphere, then seeing it slide by in level flight, that same engine flare as the drives settle down the ship into flight... Amazing.

Anyway, I flew around in forward-flight and VTOL modes, but what I really wanted to do was land the cruiser so I could get a look at the female commander model. So I put the cruiser down...on the third try...and got out. Nice looking, holy big momma of a gun strapped on her back, surprised she doesn't fall over backwards under its weight . Anyway I put her through some paces like I did for the marine, crouching, prone, running, walking, holstering/unholstering weapons while in an external camera view. Very nice looking. While walking, I didn't notice any movement of ground textures, but I'm chalking this up to /nd1 since during the brief time I played groundside without /nd1, the flickering textures did seem to move appropriately for the ground. Note to self: dock at station and look for cargo including a fuzzy ol' winter coat next time I go outside in the arctic, that uniform of hers didn't look too warm. Heh.

As for why I landed the BC on my third try? Well, I noticed in the keyboard bindings document that SHIFT-E activated the Computer-Assisted Landing System. So, curious, I pressed SHIFT-E. A odd sound played, and my ship dropped like a rock from 35000 feet and pancaked itself and its poor crew on impact with the ground. Oops. Wondering what happened, I tried again. Same result. Suddenly, I seemed to recall that odd sound reminding me of the engine startup sound. Looked in the keybindings, and sure enough SHIFT-E also toggles the engines - a fact I now belatedly remembered from BC3K. So that's why I dropped like a rock. For all I know, the computer-assisted landing was turned on, but fat good it does with no engines! LOL, SC you might want to look at that keyboard command doc and fix that (Lord, won't it be embarassing if I misread the doc and was pressing the wrong keystrokes, I hope I didn't do that...) Anyway, I'm an old hand at landing planes in flight sims, and VTOL makes it so easy, so I just put her down myself the third time.

Out of curiosity, what would cause a launched figher, set with a waypoint in tacops on Farstar to attack an Insurgent base in "CAP" or "SEAD" mode, execute an RTB immediately after entering the atmosphere? Maybe I should have set a normal "proceed to next" waypoint outside the base, and then set a CAP/SEAD waypoint inside the base? I'm pretty sure I launched my fighters with the right armament, I had auto-arm on and launched them on CAP and SEAD profiles. I wasn't following any particular instructions, just doing my own thing, really, which was probably a bad idea since I have very little groundside experience. Groundside ops never interested me too much in BC3K; I'm a starship commander, not a ground-pounder. Anyway my groundside generaling skills...what skills?...are horrendous, I'm definitely at "newbie" level on the ground, except for deploying mining drones, ha! Maybe I ought to stick with what I know, at least until BCM comes out and I can spend some serious time trying to learn the ropes groundside. Or spend some time downstairs in BC3K. And from everything I've seen groundside -- I think it will be worth learning, downstairs seems a lot more interesting than it used to be. Zooming around in that ATV was some of the most fun I've had so far in the demos, even though they kept blowing me up I probably ought to go back into BC3K and take my ATV for a spin there. Might learn some useful things. This is what I like about the BC series, if there's a part of the game you don't care about or like, you don't have to do it. I don't have to be a general if I don't want to. But if I do...I can. BTW, I hope your "training academy" includes some groundside stuff.

Then, I decided to find out how easy it would be to take out Alderon instead of defending it. Went through another beautiful planet-transition sequence. Anyway the station explosion was quite powerful, and I was a tad too close and got caught in the blast radius but survived. Alderon went down fairly quick because they didn't expect "their" ship to turn coat like that. I managed to get in a few minutes of watching it be rebuilt before some Ter/Mil ships took me out in my weakened state.

Overall, I'm very impressed. The graphical effects, at least those I was capable of seeing on my system given my /nd1 restriction, looked very good. You may have convinced this commander that dirt and water are actually interesting places to go and to learn more about, but I will and always shall be a starship commander first and foremost.

Tonight's misadventures will include me crashing my crusier into the ocean, and going for a swim. Hey, maybe I'll even take my favorite ATV for a spin on the beach. Dune buggy racing! Yeah! And $ilk's being a bad influence on me, I'm gonna try to land my cruiser on a carrier too!

$ilk said it, I love this game, and I know I'm going to enjoy myself getting killed on the ground more times than I'll be able to count learning how to be a general (or maybe marine).

Everytime I try to use Shift-E (Computer-Assisted Landing System) with a smaller craft, it takes off and tries to find the nearest mountain and ram it. I personaly think it should be renamed to Computer Assisted Ramming System. Comes in real handy when in a fire fight. Catch me if you can. There is one thing I really like. Attacking a base with the CC and get hit in the engines. Instead of just blowing up the ship, it will fall and crash land. That allows you to get out of the ship and run to the base that you were attacking. If you are lucky you might have power to get the ATV out to play.

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: KreKol ]

quote:

. Anyway I put her through some paces like I did for the marine, crouching, prone, running, walking, holstering/unholstering weapons while in an external camera view

....heh, wait'll you see her swimming. Just don't do it when your girlfriend or wife is watching...or you'd get smacked...like me.

quote:

So, curious, I pressed SHIFT-E. A odd sound played, and my ship dropped like a rock from 35000 feet and pancaked itself and its poor crew on impact with the ground.

LOL!!! oops. That only worked in BC3K for the FC or SH craft. When I allowed the CC to enter planets, I flat out forgot to include it too. Will do so now.

SHIFT+E will turn on the A/P and land the craft, if its an FC or SH and you are airborne. It doesn't work in space of course. Otherwise, it just turns the engine off.

quote:

Out of curiosity, what would cause a launched figher, set with a waypoint in tacops on Farstar to attack an Insurgent base in "CAP" or "SEAD" mode, execute an RTB immediately after entering the atmosphere?

1. It doesn't find them

2. The pilot has low AI and is chicken

3. He doesn't have the proper weapons

4. You only gave it one waypoint. As I said in the tutorial, You MUST have at least a second waypoint with Repeat Actions or they'll bugger off

quote:

Maybe I should have set a normal "proceed to next" waypoint outside the base, and then set a CAP/SEAD waypoint inside the base?

Set about 3-4 waypoints with varying orders inside the base, then make the 5th waypoint, Repeat Actions. And they will continue to fly that pattern until exhausted. For base incursions, you want SAD and SEAD profiles. Both have ATA and ATS missiles.

1. THIS IS THE BEST DEMO I HAVE EVER PLAYED OF ANY GAME!

(I've played alot of demos.)

2. I did have some trouble with the atv thing.(I cant figure out the controls)

3. I found quite a few different ways of taking off in the fighter

quote:

Latest surveys prove that Canadians are twice as likely to be sadistic than the average American gamer.

Oh yeah? Wanna bet?

[ 06-30-2001: Message edited by: Commander ZIX ]

quote:

Originally posted by Commander ZIX:

1. THIS IS THE BEST DEMO I HAVE EVER PLAYED OF ANY GAME!

(I've played alot of demos.)

Hence the picture in my Active Worlds office. "The Meaning of Life". Three guesses as to what the picture shows.

quote:

2. I did have some trouble with the atv thing.(I cant figure out the controls)

I didn't have any problems with the driving, per se. The only real problem I had was getting it to board the shuttle. I wound up exiting the ATV, walking into the shuttle, and telling it to drive in on auto-pilot.

quote:

3. I found quite a few different ways of taking off in the fighter

My favourite is flinging it off a cliff.

quote:

Oh yeah? Wanna bet?

Sure. I bet two Skittles, priority mail.

[edit] Oh, that in addition to the hind legs of 9 virgin field mice. Sadistic enough?

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Spuzzum ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The pilot has low AI and is chicken

Actually, I thought it was because the pilot had HIGH AI...and was smart enough to recognize a suicide mission when he saw it!

My comments on the demo.

After messing around with the demo and experimenting with several of the situations and environs, I decided it was time to pre-order the game!

I mean, it has it's problems...but it's a DEMO. It's going to have problems. Most of the problems I encountered were listed in the VCF as either WIP, or fixed after the demo release.

Only a couple things bugged me.

One was the size of the wrist laser.

The other is a bit more complex...

I was attempting to land a shuttle on the naval carrier, as was recommended to try. I didn't really have any problems, except that the first time I tried. I put my CC on VTOL, then told it to halt. As soon as I left the bridge, the a/p engaged and disengaged my VTOL. But since it was on halt mode, it wasn't going to engage thrust to move forward. Needless to say, before I could get back on the bridge, we were paste on the ground.

My workaround, was to set up waypoints for the CC to follow in a circle, while I made my little excursion to the carrier. It worked like a charm.

Oh...also, on IA/2. Was trying to enter other craft, instead of the gunship and couldn't. I'm guessing this is a WIP (didn't see it in VCF, might've missed it) or something else I'm just missing entirely.

Anyway, GREAT demo. I WANT THIS GAME!

No pressure

quote:

My favourite is flinging it off a cliff.

I prefer taking of by using max throttle on the surface until you hit a rock, building, vehicle, or something like that flings you into the air when you hit it.

quote:

Sure. I bet two Skittles, priority mail.

[edit] Oh, that in addition to the hind legs of 9 virgin field mice. Sadistic enough?

No I bet you the left n@d$ of 6 south mexican bulls as well as 5 peices of cheese

quote:

Originally posted by Commander ZIX:

No I bet you the left n@d$ of 6 south mexican bulls as well as
peices of cheese

You win!

Guest Nova

I think this demo is awesome. There are just a few (other than those mentioned) problems I saw in the game.

1. In the bonus mission where you are one of the 'bad guys', if you leave orbit with your fighter and then hit F9, the body of your fighter is gone. Also the lasers from external view seem to come from behind your fighter, rather than from the guns.

2. I found it...anoying that in the trade menu on bases, when it shows how many of a part you have (like Starcry engine) it says you have 0. I assume it means 0 in the cargo pod, because I know I have an engine, but I have no way of knowing whether by BC is equiped with a certain part w/o having to memorise them all before I dock. Also, I noticed that it doesnt seem like station engineers repair stuff if you are watching them in Logistix. What do you have to do to make them work?

3. This is kinda just personal, but when I am in a flying ship on a planet setting, and I go into FTOL mode, I have to hold the roll button to turn, and roll by simply turning. It may be designed to do that, but it would be a lot easier to fly if the controls were identical to space controls.

Other than those, the demo looks great. Someone said that they saw a huge fireball upon entry to a planet, but all I see is my ship fall to the planet. Is that a graphics card issue?

Can't wait for game to come out!

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: NovaEM ]

...Nice way to get banned.

Derek has no obligation to finish this game other than the fact that he wants to give his loyal fans a treat. And he wants to get some innocent bystanders hooked in the process.

I'm the same way when it comes to my programming. If its not done, then its not done, and it won't be until it is. No one is going to tell me when to finish my things, since all of my creations have been free so far, and I'm not even obligated to allow people to DOWNLOAD them. I do out of good faith.

Derek is doing the same thing. While he wants payment, it won't be done until it is done, end of story, so go act impatient somewhere else, since none of us want to hear it.

And, BCM has only been in progress for about a year, maybe a year and a half. Yeesh, have you heard of BC3K 2.0 at all?

Guest Nova

I found a couple more problems with the demo (don't mean to sound critical, its just that a great game needs input)

1. I noticed that my CC will not VTOL while on auto pilot. The demo text file says that you can hover above the water and then get out, but all the ship does is slowly crash to the ground (or water) killing or damaging it. Is there no way to tell it to just hover there?

2. I boarded a shuttle and launched it to deploy a mining drone. Then I realised it would be far more efficient if I deployed all 4 mining drones from other shuttles. But when I tell the shuttles to deploy their drones, they just do dangerous fly-bys to my CC and then crash into the ground sometimes. I'll just assume the AI cant deploy drones because its a demo.

3.When the CC is in TAXI mode on the ground and I launch a shuttle I'm in, the shuttle immediately takes on damage like it impacted the ground (which it probably did) This is kind of related to the VTOL problem on A/P, because if there was a way to make it hover, I wouldnt have to get deployed into the ground.

4. When CC in TAXI, I decided to launch my fighters. Then I told them to defend me. 2 of them kept circling and crashing and blew up. (AI for ground fighters needs some work I guess) Out of the 2 that survived, only 1 was usable, because the other was skidding along the ground sideways. It finally came to the water, and continued skidding underwater until coming to a halt. Then I couldnt give it any orders.

5. Not really a bug, just a question. I noticed while walking around (and oddly enough through sometimes) my CC, that the front appeared to have boosters. Is there some way that you can detatch the bridge from the rest of the ship?

Keep working guys, the game looks great.

PAULDS,

I am going to say this, so that the SC doesn't have to.

It will be ready when it's ready, and it ain't ready!!!

The game is still in Beta, yes, you will come across some anomalies, but that is to be expected with a Beta, we can't find them all for goodness sakes.

Relax, you will be VERY impressed when the game is released, so sit tight, enjoy the demo, and when the real BCM gets released, have a ball!!!

Happened to me too, actually. It switches to FTOL when I go into A/P, regardless of HALT orders or not.

I usually just land the sucker. It's easier.

Either that, or I give my CC defend orders for Alderon, then I board a shuttle and get some shuttles to escort me. Then I make planetfall, deploy a drone, and order the others.

I only did that once, though.

(Oh, by the way, I love those drones. They're cool! )

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Spuzzum ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spuzzum:

[QB]then I board a shuttle and get some shuttles to escort me.QB]

Are they going to protect you with their mad ramming skills? I usually find that Fighters are more suited to escorting.

The point of his escort shuttles is simple. They escort him so that when he gets to the planet he can then tell them to deploy their drones too. (Although, a shuttle's mad ramming skills can come in handy, too.

Now I've had a chance to play Ep2 at length (our guest has left), I've also come across acouple of things:

The same problem as Nova with the CC

switching to FTOL as soon as you engage the AI and then plummeting to the ground.

If I place a waypoint on the island near the naval fleet, the CC will make planetfall at this waypoint. However, if I make planetfall in an FC, it is about 28000 km away from the fleet.

If I try to make Jane Doe swim, her equipment drops around her ankles and she won't go anywhere (hehe, my kinda girl ).

In the EF marine mission, I keep getting blown up before I can do any serious damage (that's not an issue, it's just my own incompetence)

Can't get the Transporter to work, even though it has power. It won't let me set a position (the menu is in red).

Love the planetary models, esp on Trion, felt like I was skimming across the desert.

Found the switching from roll to yaw as you go from space to planet a little disconserting, I'll just have to get used to it.

That night mission on Titani (sp?) is really cool, but pretty tough. Got really disorientated in the dark and found myself at 30 000 altitude chasing a Zenstar.

What is the command for 'Match Target Speed'?

Is it Ctrl-Tilde or something? My keyboard is German, so a lot of the keystrokes are different.

That's all for now, just want to say how much I appreciate all the time SC has put into giving us 2 superb demos, and then to answer our (often ridiculous) questions personally. Not many developers spend so much time in the bulletin boards and it makes such a refreshing change. His manner may be a little brash sometimes, but what do you expect form a man who averages less than 4 hrs sleep a night?

Peace

quote:

The same problem as Nova with the CC

switching to FTOL as soon as you engage the AI and then plummeting to the ground.

Read the VCF

quote:

If I place a waypoint on the island near the naval fleet, the CC will make planetfall at this waypoint. However, if I make planetfall in an FC, it is about 28000 km away from the fleet.

Read the demo tutorial

quote:

If I try to make Jane Doe swim, her equipment drops around her ankles and she won't go anywhere (hehe, my kinda girl ).

Read the VCF

quote:

Can't get the Transporter to work, even though it has power. It won't let me set a position (the menu is in red).

Read the BC3K v2.0x manual

quote:

Found the switching from roll to yaw as you go from space to planet a little disconserting, I'll just have to get used to it.

Read the VCF

quote:

That night mission on Titani (sp?) is really cool, but pretty tough. Got really disorientated in the dark and found myself at 30 000 altitude chasing a Zenstar.

Read your altitude tape (that indicator you see on the right side of the HUD area)

quote:

What is the command for 'Match Target Speed'?

Is it Ctrl-Tilde or something? My keyboard is German, so a lot of the keystrokes are different.

Read the keyboard commands doc

Thanks for the advice SC, I think I've read all those things numerous times. However.....

1. Couldn't find a reference to the VTOL/AI problem in the VCF.

2. Demo readme doesn't explain why the CC will go to the WP, but a FC won't.

3. Kit around her ankles: OK found the reference in VCF. Shame.

4. Roll/Yaw: see above

5. Altitude: wasn't complaining.

6. Match Target Speed: still can't find it! Tried Ctrl-'Afterburner button', but all I got is A/B in the hud. Is this the one, or am I hitting the wrong combination? Will it be mappable to a Joystick button in the final release? Like I said, my keyboard is German, so some of the keys are different, to accomodate all accented characters. (Apart from the fact Y and Z are swapped over)