BCM Episode 2 demo - What I think

The most efficient way is to grab your PC and drop it off a five storey building.

Then, if it is 3dfx compatible, the special collision sensor built into every chip will say:

"This is an authentic 3dfx PC! Thank you for purchasing our overpriced and overrated hardware."

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chimera

After a week of finding excuses to play the EP2 demo instead of working ( ), I'm pleased. It looks to have the makings of a true classic if it lives up to half of what SC appears to want it to be (I'm talking about wishlist stuff included).

One thing kinda drew my attention while flying around in a shuttle on Farstar: It's kinda weird to watch the cloud layer rise and fall depending on the AGL of the terrain immediately below you. While I'm sure that this is simply a side-effect of having the AGL accessible at all, rather than having everything based off of MSL, it was just a funny effect. (A minor quibble which does nothing to detract from gameplay or the otherwise beautiful visuals.) Besides, realistically not all clouds fly at one altitude, but then again clouds usually do not change altitude in unison.

Just my $0.02

quote:

One thing kinda drew my attention while flying around in a shuttle on Farstar: It's kinda weird to watch the cloud layer rise and fall depending on the AGL of the terrain immediately below you. While I'm sure that this is simply a side-effect of having the AGL accessible at all, rather than having everything based off of MSL, it was just a funny effect. (A minor quibble which does nothing to detract from gameplay or the otherwise beautiful visuals.) Besides, realistically not all clouds fly at one altitude, but then again clouds usually do not change altitude in unison.

LOL!! You noticed huh?

I did this because the terrain altitude varies at certain points and it would breach the cloud layer at certain parts, ruining some of the effect.

...anyway, what are you doing staring at the clouds?

Guest Chimera

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I did this because the terrain altitude varies at certain points and it would breach the cloud layer at certain parts, ruining some of the effect.

...anyway, what are you doing staring at the clouds?

I'd think that some of the really tall mountain ranges would pierce the cloud layer occasionally, but it really is a matter of preference since it looks good either way. (I just keep imagining what it would be like to be "king of the hill" in FP, and not be able to see the platoon of opposing marines come charging up the side of the mountain after me because I'm higher than the cloud layer... )

As for staring at the clouds, what else am I supposed to do while waiting for my SysEng's to repair the reactor while my two surviving drones furiously mine for radine?!?

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Chimera ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I thought the demo(2) was awesome. I had quite a bit of troubble playing it for two reasons.

1. No printer, so I kept having to read the readme, info and config files, then go back to the game. (over and over and over)

2. I have been playing First Person Shooters for WAY to long. I think im a lot dumber now! At least I bought Starfleet battles and that has me thinking a little more Kind of like a warm up practice before the game.

I spent a lot of time just trying to figure stuff out. It is a lot different than the cookie cutter games that everyone else is making. There is this undeniable underlying excitement as you play. That, "I wonder if I could do this"? Or go There? It has a real wide open wagons west explore the galaxy feel to it. It is what a real Star Trek game should have been like.

I tried to fight in the battle cruiser but died over and over hehe. Walking around felt real real slowwwwwww, but thats because I am used to Tribes2, and the world scale to player is absolutly HUGE! Tried to pilot the hover tank and crashed or died over and over again. Yup, pretty much nothing went right for me at all. It still does not take away from the game because I know its just that I have no idea what the Flip im doing!!!

I had to format my computer recently, so i need to download it again.

Quick question. I have a Kyro2. It seemed to do everything just fine. I noticed a coupple of wierd things here and there. Not looking for tech support here, just curious. Its probobly just a driver issue. Did you guys test with a Kyro/2? Does the full game seem to work fine for you? I check the readme and VCF file but saw no mention of this particular chipset. I am asking because I dont know if the Tile Rendering system may have issues with some of your rendering techniques, as the Demo may not reveal the full measure of the game.

This is going to be the best PC game released this year hands down, no contest.

I am very much looking forward to the full game.

looks like independant development has its advantages.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

Apart from some driver glitches, my Kyro-2 works fine.

Those pricks at Hercules have the worst support services on the planet...which is why they died the first time.

As such, this is an entry-level dead card, not worth mentioning in my FAQ.

Only a complete idiot would develop a card like that, and without core features (e.g. TnL) on-board, and expect to be taken seriously.

And only a mis-informed gamer would by a Kyro-II card, when you could just buy a geForce2 or a Radeon 64.

Its a DEAD card, Jim! Think of all those dead cards of yesteryear. Then add this one to it.

But, thats just me.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

edited due to paranoid delusion, and persecution complex caused by partial asphyxiation from head being up hinder parts.

Disregard next 3-4 posts.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Hellbinder[CE] ]

If I may speak in SC's defense. ... Like he needs it.

If you expect to get a flamewar from the beginning, then that's all you can see. I have not in ANY sentence seen the SC get personal towards you. Perhaps towards that cards manufactorer support department, but those were personal feelings about their way of doing business. Nothing had to do with you. Unless you feel sorry for your vid card. Please.

I suggest you reconsider your attitude, before he does what he's scrutinised for. Banning people for making unneccesary trouble.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

quote:

I thought for a while on how to reply to your post. I had heard things on the net about how you treat people, but figured it was exageration. sadly that is not the case.

wtf?? Are you kidding me!?

quote:

First of all. I am a VERY informed gamer.

Yeah, OK. I'll take your word for it. But, just read your FIRST paragraph again.

quote:

Secondly the STG 4500 is not a dead card.

Thats debatable, isn't it? There is a very good reason why sales of GF2 GTS, MX and in fact, Radeon 64MB boards, continue to trash Kyro-II boards in sales (where it matters the most). And its not even in the same league as a GF3. So, lets not go there.

quote:

thirdly I also own a Geforce 2 card and prefer the 4500 in most games.

Read that again. I rest my case.

quote:

Suffice it to say that the STG 4500 plays your demo without T&L very fast at high resolutions with the max detail settings allowed even using 4xFSAA.

The demo are built for a controlled (Instant Action) environment with small engagements. A regular game of BCM, using that card, falls flat at anything higher than 800x600 in 32-Bit mode with any FSAA setting.

Then gain, wtf do I know, right? I only designed and developed it. Plus, I had a Kyro II card long before you even read about it anywhere.

quote:

I wonder why you think its ok to insult people, even just in inference? Who are you to treat people who want to support your hard work with such a condesending attitude?

....thinking what to type.....aw f*ck it. I simply can't be bothered. Others will read my post, then yours - and draw their own conclusions.

Just play the demo and go buy the game when it comes out - now that you've made me type up this crap.

If you're happy with your card, I'm happy for you. But don't just jump on me for expressing MY opinions on MY frigging board.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

((I edited my origional message, taking out comments that I feel may have gone to far.))

The inference was that only a mis-informed gamer would be stupid enough to buy such a dead card from an idiotic HW developer. (did i miss anything?)

Are you seriously saying you cant see that? Maybe I am just overreacting, Partly because I know a fair ammount about the 3d market, and 3D technology in general and am not some mis-informed shmuck who bought a new card. Except for the part about Hecules I respectfully disagree with SC. However he clearly does have better insider info than I, especially performance in his own game.

As far as changing my attitude before I get banned. Yes I like the game, and yes I want to enjoy the community. But, not at the expense of being constantly affraid of getting "banned", Or not being able to say, "hey I just spent 3 paragraphs complementing your game." Are you really going to infer I am an idiot?

Now, In case I do get banned for this reply. Let me say To all who may read this post.

Battlecruiser Millenium is the "must buy" game of the year. It is the most advanced, wide open Space simulation game ever designed. I was totally blown away by even the cut down depth in the demo. (just wear a very think skin when going to the developers site.

I come bearing a nifty cheat and a complaint.

1st, my nifty cheat: If you pilot a shuttle craft, you can get into the logistix menu from another menu (like go into miscon or something) You will then find the magical Repair button. Press it and your shuttle is good as new instantly! But for some reason, you can only repair the 3rd shuttle this way (kind of random, but hey, cheats can't be perfect).

My complaint is that the game seems unfair in its damage affects. I can be killing a computer, and they will be down to like 20% health and still fully functional! Maybe its because its a demo. But if I even get down to 80%-70%, I can't even fly the dang ship because so many systems are gone! I was just wondering what the point of having 100% Hull is if 30% gone basically means death. Seeing as how SC loves his documents to refute points, I'll use a quote straight from them.

The manual says: "In combat, the ship's shields and armor may be breached, causing the ship's hull to take damage." It then goes on to say that once the hull is hit, systems will go out. But when I'm in combat, my Hull goes down equally with my armor. My Armor doesnt go down when Shields are hit a little, so why is my Hull being damaged before my armor is breached?

LOL, and I also gotta say, what's with the new names coming up, isn't there a Commander Nova name, and now this Nova... there's a couple of other new names that sound too much like the veteran members. What's up with that?

LOL!!! I'm sorta wondering, as well, Soback. But he does sorta remind me of when I was a newbie, asking obvious questions..... I might say RTFM, but I'm actually going to explain.

---

Um, NovaEM, the Armor is the Hull (I'm pretty sure). Also, the ability to fly your ship depends on which systems are damaged or not.

i.e. If your nuclear reactor is severely damaged, you won't get enough power, and consequently won't get all or any of your displays, and your engines may not work. If you want to correct this, just aim the top of your ship towards the sun, which gives the solar reactors enough power to make up for the nuclear one, then reallocate the power, through logistics. (Unless your logistics computer is destroyed; then you're a sitting duck, unless you can get towed by a shuttle craft to a station.)

It's there for realism. The AI can fly with low power just fine. All you need is really just enough to keep life support, and engine power, and you can actually fly. I'm not sure why all your systems are damaged at 70%, so you can't fly.

The way they handle damage, and power allocation has been almost the same since BC3k. It's most likely not going to change before BCM is released, so live with it.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

And then there's Cmdr Nava

(Heh, maybe we should start copywriting nicknames. I remember another GCV Nemesis back in the BC3k times)

LMAO!!!! Perhaps we should!

----

In regards to NovaEM's message about cheats (E2 Demo):

In Missions 3&4, you can get into Logistix from any computer by pressing the Logistix hotkey, F1. You get the Logistix menu that you would usually get when docked at a station, meaning you get the repair and weapons screens!

My computer seems to crash while hitting repair, though. But, you can change the weapon loadouts, or reload them, in your fighter/gunship. Really nifty for the Bonus Mission, where you are in the gunship, striking the enemy base.

Fire missiles, go into like commlink or miscon, hit F1, and then go into weapons and reload. Exit menu, aim, fire, repeat.

It should work on interceptors you pilot from your CC, as well, but I haven't tried it. Easy way to get free Vagrant missiles!

Of course, this is gonna be fixed when BCM goes gold....

Also, you can get into Tactical, by pressing F2, and so on, with the designated hotkeys.

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]