BCM Episode 2 demo - Help!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope you put up this topic as a troubleshooting spot.

I am getting this error message from installShield for the BCME2 Demo.

"Error writing to the temporary location"

Which has one button underneath that is blank. No "OK" or "YES" or "NO". Just a blank button.

I can't fathom what this is for. And I wouldn't know where to look anyway.

HELP!!!!

Meet all minimum specs by a mile, have DX8 installed, Swap file set to 600MB, Hard drive has 4.5GB left, d/l file is exactly 127,321,679 bytes. Any more info let me know.

Edit - Oh yeah, WINME.

Thanks

Scotty

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: Scotty ]

Nothing to do with BCM. You probably ran out of disk space. Look in your temp folder and delete everything in it. The demo expands to about 400MB, so make sure you have this free before attempting to install.

Sorry, never meant to blame it as BCM's fault. I knew that. Just thought maybe you had some crystal ball you could look into, or had some prior experience of the problem.

I did the following.

Cleared out c:temp and c:windowstemp, just for the heck of it.

Restarted my computer... it had been on for a few hours, so...maybe?

Checked free space, again, still at 4.5GB free.

Tried to install again, same result.

Ah well, in the que for another d/l, but I am completely stumped by this one and I really don't see a new d/l as solving this, as the file size is perfect and... well, who knows, it might work.

Thanks anyways,

Scotty

I don't think the download is corrupt. But then again.

Were you able to install and play the E1 demo?

PLEASE don't tell me you tried to install E2 over E1, because that just won't work. E2 does not require E1 at all.

Yes, did install and play E1 demo. It has been completely off my computer for at least a few weeks.

But, I don't see that as being an issue in my case. Immediately I get the error msg. I don't get a splash screen, nothing. Just a nice box with an empty button.

Do you know exactly where the temp file it is looking for is located? If it's not one of the standard temps... no, that wouldn't even matter, it should create one if it needs it, shouldn't it?

Beats me.

Still in que. Twenty minutes left, before twenty minute d/l. lol.

Thanks,

Scotty

Thanks, but already started there.

First took forever to actually get in (they seem very busy tonight), and when I did, I was only getting around 20kps. But over at FilePlanet, I got around 90kps.

All in all, I am saving time by waiting. Go figure.

BTW, I appreciate your interest in my prob, and you can be sure I will let you know how it turns out after the re-d/l.

I was sure hoping someone else was having the same thing. Sure could've used some moral support.

Thanks,

Scotty

Here's what I did.

Renamed old d/l, just took off HC at end of name.

Re-d/l new copy from FilePlanet.

When finished, went to download folder and ACCIDENTALY double clicked on the old version, expected the same error box, but the darn thing started to run.

Canceled that one, just to be sure and double clicked on the new one, it worked too.

Canceled the new one, had to double click the old one again, and the danged thing started up again like nothing was ever wrong. So I let it run and installation seemed fine.

Beats me what was going on. Hadn't changed anything since the last failed attempt.

Ah well, time to now go and play.

Thanks for your time,

Scotty.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Commander:

PLEASE don't tell me you tried to install E2 over E1, because that just won't work. E2 does not require E1 at all.

Uh? I thought this was some of the point. I mean, Install ep1. Then, install ep2. At which point the files that had been changed between episodes would be updated. The rest of the files, (that were common for both episodes) would come from ep1. Besides, that would let me have the first missions with the new kernel. (which, as far as I have gathered, aren't included in ep2. Note that at the time of writing I'm still waiting for the download.)

You see, I'm on a modem. Alternates (of any notable better speed) aren't available here yet. How many hours would you have saved me? How much on the telephone bill? (ugh!)

Scotty, We call it a feature of windows.

Called "random error message syndrome".

Appears for no reason, exactly once, never seen again, and of course noone else you talk to have ever experienced it.

You did try to start it twice in the beginning, didn't you?

In your case the reason could have been exhausted swap space though.

Hmmmmm, the HUD graphics flash sparodically (is that a word? it came to mind). The movement keys dont work, so my little character wont go anywhere or do anything.

Ok, time to switch into I'matechiesoI'dbetterreadtheFAQandthenfixthisdamnthingbeforeIgotobed mode.

That's the one! I knew it was a word.

Anyway, I tried downloading official ATI drivers for my Fury and I disabled the options in the BIOS according to the FAQ, but the HUD graphics are still screwed up. Oh and my keyboard seems to be ok now - I was getting some strange things happening but that's been happening a lot recently anyway. Damn Windows is all messed up.

AMD k6-2 400mhz

64mb ram

8mb shared mem SiS 530 vid.

800mb hdd space free

Demo 1 runs. Slow, but does very well.

Demo 2 loads, goes in the menu, music starts, and I click on "configuration"

Screen darkens and the "please wait..." appear. Then disappear, and computer freezes.

Help.

(oh, and yes, the demo is installed separately)

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

My problem,

I understand from the demo readme that we are supposed to be able to visit other planets, however I ran into a problem doing this. I have tried several times to jump to TRION through TACOPS and the game crashes as soon as I click TO TRION.

My system specs

• 1000 Mhz Pentium III

• 256mb RAM

• Voodoo 5 5500 PCI

• 36 FREE Gigabytes of HD space

Has anyone else had this problem?

My other problem is that when I enter then leave a planet, it crashes after a few minutes. Other than that no problems, but I haven't been able to leave that system.

I have one other problem : I can't beat the Pilot Mission good one... I keep getting shot down.

quote:

Called "random error message syndrome".

Appears for no reason, exactly once, never seen again, and of course noone else you talk to have ever experienced it.

That's what I chalked it up to as well.

quote:

You did try to start it twice in the beginning, didn't you?

Sorry, don't quite follow. What is 'it'? If you mean run the install, yes. In fact many, many twices (Lots).

quote:

In your case the reason could have been exhausted swap space though.

Thought that at first, but re-booted my computer, so no, couldn't have been.

Scotty.

BTW, I am really blowing my lurking status lately.

quote:

Uh? I thought this was some of the point.

uhm, no, that was not the point. Where'd you get that impression from?

To the both of you posting about the demo not working on you SiS and ATI Fury cards, I guess you didn't read the system specs, nor the VCF, huh? NEITHER of those boards are supported. They are too old and have crappy driver support.

quote:

I have tried several times to jump to TRION through TACOPS and the game crashes as soon as I click TO TRION.

Works fine here. Before I uploaded the demo, I played all the scenarios and visited each system and each planet, to make sure I didn't strip out any needed files. So, I know for a fact that it works. Did you try the manual method for jumping from one region to another, using the NID computer from the bridge?

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

UnrealT is not DX8 compliant. And I know for a fact that it has problems on that card. So I'm not sure I quite follow what you mean by it works perfectly well.

Sorry, but you folks were given sufficient warning. If you want to play this game, you're going to have upgrade your system to modern day standards. There is NO way around it. None.

[ 06-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest dnoyeB!

Should I uninstall E1 or not? is E1 required?

I dont personally need e1 anymore. if its required, i gotta pawn somethin to get a new HD.

Hard drived really teach you that things you never think will happen, DO. like filling it up.

quote:

Out of interest, how many other new/recent games are purely Directx8 compatible?

Mechwarrior 4's a start.

Anyways, presuming you still have that GeForce 2 still around, I'd advise popping it back in and trying to solve whatever problems you had with it. Like the SC said, you're screwed with that ATI card and this game unfortunately. Get something a wee bit more compliant with the latest graphical standards

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm, no, that was not the point. Where'd you get that impression from?

I thought, since the episodes didn't overlap, that you would make the demo one piece of software expanded by each episode.

That would have several advantages, first of all the smaller download filesizes. (I'll diff the directories, shall we see how many files have been downloaded twice?)

In fact, I cannot see anything that should give the current mode of distribution a disadvantage over that way. Perhaps except for being a tiny bit simpler to set up. (If you're in a hurry)

Had I had say, a cablemodem, I wouldn't have been complaining as much... But I don't.

Besides, if the demo is one piece of software, you can have that copy installed, and still play all of the missions, etc. (With the "newest" kernel)

From the filesizes it seems like something is removed from e1 to e2. Unless it is just far better packaging...

In summary, I would have done it this way, because that is the best/smartest solution as far as I can see. Therefore I thought you would do it as well. Oh, and I wasn't the only one to believe it would be this way...