BCM Episode 2 demo - Help!!!

I haven't tried issuing the order from the NID yet, however, I highlighted Trion jump gate in the target view and clicked shift+9 to hyperjump to it. It said Engaging Hyperdrive or whatever and the game crashed again... This is first edition Win 98 so may that have something to do with it? Other than that I am running on the SMOKIN' specs.

It worked fine in episode one however. I dunno, is there a /d1 shortcut or something we need to put? Just wondering what could be causing this.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings SC,

System Specs,

Windows 98

PII 333

128M RAM

Voodoo 5 5500 64M(Recommended Drivers) and optimized as per web page referenced in faq

DX8

1.5g Drive space open after install

Bios checked per TS faq

Seem to be having a problem after I load up and select either Instant Action, or Config it goes to either of thoses menu's but they are hopping mad... if you get my meaning , they are jumping up and down the screen.

If you have any suggestion my ear is to the speaker

Thx SC

Thanks for your Assistance with this problem SC! Problem is corrected.

[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Flak ]

quote:

I thought, since the episodes didn't overlap, that you would make the demo one piece of software expanded by each episode.

Because the distribution of the files have changed. Don't assume that because I didn't do something, that it wasn't the best decision.

Why don't you install both demos. Then find a folder comparison tool and check both environments to see WHY it wasn't worth my time, screwing around with that.

quote:

Seem to be having a problem after I load up and select either Instant Action, or Config it goes to either of thoses menu's but they are hopping mad... if you get my meaning , they are jumping up and down the screen.

If you have any suggestion my ear is to the speaker

Yes, I know whats causing it. You have two choices

1. Go into 3Dfx tools and enable 2x anti-alias sampling

2. Run BCM in a window using one of the -w switches. Look in the section 2.3.05 item #3 in the VCF for more notes on this.

Well, don't know what to say. I sort of like the demo (I won't go on since this is a different thread), but for some odd reason Alderon has really strange graphical tearing; the seams between polys make gigantic stair-step jaggies. Not regular pixel jaggies, mind you, but big, huge, nasty, inch-wide jaggies (I'm running it at 1024x768x32, so they're definitely not pixel jaggies).

I took a screenshot, and I uploaded it onto my webpage: http://spuzzum.byond.com/images/bcmbug.jpg. The section of the station on the right side of the screen is the problem. That happens everywhere else on the station, too, but the polys on the right are the most noticeable. It's a moving effect, mind you; when in motion, the jaggies zip across the seams of the station. If it didn't move, I could care less, but it's really an eyesore...

Possibly my problem, I'll admit. But, I just downloaded the latest Det. drivers (12.41WHQL), and copied the new ones over the old ones (forgot to backup... oh well). The new drivers did nothing to cure that polygon edge problem, except they did make the particle contrails shrink rather than grow, as said in the VCF.

(Yes, I read the VCF! Hallelujah! )

Greetings, SC

Downloaded demo, installed with no problem

Startup screen went fine

At the nect screen the mouse cursor disappears.

Read the troublshooting FAQ, did what it said

Still no mouse cursor.

Uninstalled game and reinstalled game demo still same problem, no mouse cursor.

Demo had no problems, work liked a champ.

system specs

PIII 933

384 mb ram

win2k pro SP1

64 mb geforce 2 ultra (proper drives)

directx 8.0a

sb live soundcard (latest drivers)

mouse is a logitech trackman marble

20.0 gb of hard drive space

any thoughts?

I'm not all that experienced with BC so don't jump all over me if I say something unwittingly stupid:

1) I was unfortunate enough to end up with the "Error writing to the temporary location" error. After uninstalling the BCM Episode 1 demo, however, I was able to install Episode 2 without a hitch.

2) Ep2 seems significantly more polished than Ep1. In any case, though. There are obviously still a few issues to work out:

a) I've had experience with the "sliding floor" phenomenon that was mentioned in another post. It seems like a fogged ~25ft x ~25ft square that moves out of sync with the rest of the ground/scenery/etc when you move (ATV or on Foot).

B) After approaching the planet in the first scenario, I couldnt help but notice that the ocean looked sort of paralaxed. It was very hard to determine where, exactly, the surface of the water was, except by the islands which just seemed to float around in space. Maybe it was just the ocean being reflective and mirroring the sky?

Excellent demo. I like the much better speed and graphics. However, I keep running into these problems:

After reentry burn, the tail fins and one of the PTA turrets of the BC-Mk2 floats above the model for the rest of the time I play.

In some collisions during FP, my gear falls around their legs and ankles, and the character animations stop. This happened in Ep. 1 as well in space.

Jaggies around Alderon in 16 bit.

Flashing ground when close.

During cloaking and hyperjump, model looks like set of pleated window blinds and doesn't fade right (could be my drivers)

No contrails. I like the flames though.

The drivers for my vid card (STB Velocity 4400) that I am using are the Detonator 12.40 Reference. They are not beta.

Aside from all these, awesome demo! Much better than the last.

The demo is for your enjoyment. Apart from installation and configuration issues, please don't post anything else in these forums. When the full game is released, feel free to post any detect tech support issues.

Everything you reported is probably driver related because *every* bug or problem currently in the game, is known and logged.

Thank you

I have another BIOS video setting to check out if you are having a problem getting the new demo to run...

I was able to run the first demo with no problems, but when I tried to run the second demo it would play the opening movie then dump me back to Win 98 with an "Invalid Page Fault" error. I had plenty of system memory (256 total with about 200 free) and all of the latest and greatest drivers and DirectX 8, but still no go.

I went through the various video options in the BIOS and tried all of trouble-shooting FAQ fixes but to no avail. However, I noticed that I had set my AGP aperture in my BIOS to 256 MB when doing some tweaking of my system. I changed this back to 64 MB (default) and tried the demo - voila, I'm in!

As I said the original demo worked fine, even with this setting, but the second demo choked on it. You may want to add this to the list of BIOS video settings to check in the trouble-shooting FAQ. Hopefully this will help someone...

I finally got the hyperjumps to work. I had another weird problem but after two or three games it seemed to work itself out. Every time during that period after the hyperdrive worked my game would start out with me going in reverse at like 2000 whatevers per hour. Like I said after a few games it worked fine. I think I accidentally had a ****ed up resolution w/o paying attention so that was my fault on the crashes. Well thanks for your help SC.

Is anyone having problems with running Demo2 under Win2k? Whenever I run it, after the video has finished, I get a "Memory could not be read error".

I installed Service Pack 2 the other night, and I have a P3, with a GeForce 2 and 256Mb memory and I installed DirectX8. Any ideas?

Edit:

Argh! Not a good sign

--- Debug log opened ---

Can't create D3D device

D3D Returned error: D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR

Thanks

[ 06-28-2001: Message edited by: crivens ]

Crivens, I had a problem with demo 2 also. I have a win2k system, p3 933, 384 mb ram. etc.

I have a geForce 2 ultra and was running 6.50

drivers.

for the heck of it, i d/l detonator 12.41 drivers, installed them and wow!

the game launched fine and i kicked up to 1024x768 32 bit color, the rest is history.

Hi I downloaded the episode 2 demo and it installed fine but whenever I try start it my hard drive acts busy for 5 seconds and then then stops and its like I never tried to open it. My computer specs are:

400 mhz Pentium II processor

128 mb of ram

8 mb Viper video card

Sound Blaster AWE64

Windows 98

DirectX 8

This happens in Ep1 and 2: I invaraibly get thrown back to windows during combat situations, more often than not in F10 mode. Sometimes just tracking a missile it throws me back to the desktop. I don't know whether something has blown up or not, it never gives me the chance to find out. And yes, I do have the /d1 in Ep1.

specs:

Celeron 633

Voodoo 5 5500 with latest (and last(?)drivers)

SBlive

win98se

224 MB RAM

Erm, anything else relevant?

Oh yeah, 4X FSAA (got 'jumping' without it)

Screen and game resolution at 960x720, 16 bit.

Ok, did a bit more investigating. I forgot to mention that I can't play the 3000ad logo, it gives me an error message saying the file has no video content, just clicking OK takes me to the main menu no probs. I definately get a crash when it trys to play some explosions. this got me thinking, so I went to the folder which contains all the .avi files and tried to play them. The logo avi won't play, telling me I have an incorrect decompressor or something like that (I'm at work at the mo, so I can't remember the exact text) and tries to log on to the internet (I didn't want to as I was outside my free connection time, tight bastard, yes I know). It also does the same with some (but not all) of the explosion .avi files. I'm assuming this is my problem. I'll try again tonight. Question is, what is my PC trying to connect to, an updated Media player? And will this solve my crashing problem?

Update:

Attempts at playing the previously non-playing avi's resulted in the downloading of a Cinepak from Microsoft, and now they all play except Xpl01 giving me the following error message:

No combination of filters could be found to render the stream. (Error=80040218)

So I just copied and renamed another of the Xplo.avi files. However, the logos still won't play, giving me this message:

Unable to download an appropriate decompressor. (Error=80040200)

The music plays though.

Any ideas anyone?

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

Ok, to be honest, I thought it was already intalled.

Maybe not.

Edit: Yes, it is already installed, as I thought. Any other ideas?

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

quote:

Posted by crivens

Hmmmmm, the HUD graphics flash sparodically.

Same prob here. Episode 1 works fine, but it's E2 that has that problem. My system:

Celeron 500

64MB Ram

ATI All-In-Wonder 128 (Rage 128 Chipset)

Windows ME

Default Drivers

DirectX 8

Will try upgrading drivers tonite. First IA loads, and kicks me to windows when it's supposed to start playing. The 3 others have strange flashing HUD, all icons flashing, and menu (the blue ingame menu when you click on an icon on the left) is transparent/flashing too. The huge moving box glitch on the ground is present, too, but read FAQ and know about ATI's driver problems with that.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]