BCM Episode 2 demo - Help!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I d/l ed this demo yesterday, but i cant get it to work...

All it does is flash my icons, and stop working, not locked but the demo is not working,

Speks:

Celeron 366,

64 MB NVRAM

ATI Rage Pro Turbo

Anyone have this same problem?

Only happens with E2, E1 still works fine...

Baloogan, is that prob with the ingame icons? Or the main menu?

Mine is ingame, and I believe it's a Rage problem. I have a Rage 128 (16mb Video Ram), which has been working with all direct x games I've played.

---

Upgraded to latest drivers. Some help, but no avail. IA1 finally starts to run, then after you leave the station, when the cockpit is supposed to show, it kicks to windows. Still have ingame HUD and icon glitching.

---

In episode 3, I went up, and exited the planet, and it went to windows, too.

---

Yes, I truly beleive it is the ATI Rage that is causing it, but I, too, am curious as to how I got E1 to run, and can still play it right now.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Right, I've downloaded and installed Media Player 7.1 and I still get the same error messages.

Edit:

And now it plays like a slide-show. What's going on? I'm not apportioning blame, I just want to know what to do next.

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

I get this error when i start up in full screen mode:

quote:

BCMDEMO caused an invalid page fault in

module BCMDEMO.EXE at 015f:004dbda0.

Registers:

EAX=00000000 CS=015f EIP=004dbda0 EFLGS=00010202

EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=00c3f184 EBP=000001e0

ECX=01273db4 DS=0167 ESI=01f40190 FS=3477

EDX=00000001 ES=0167 EDI=00000430 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 08 52 6a 1d 50 ff 91 c8 00 00 00 b0 01 c2 04

Stack dump:

0042808c 00000001 00000280 01f40190 ffffffff 00000000 bff7b30e 01180000 00000000 01fa16a0 00c3f22c 01257e3c 00000001 00000391 00000010 00c3f1d8

Someone plz help.

Guest IamVincent

Hello everybody.

I've noticed something that might be of use if you're a Geforce owner and can't get the EP2 demo to run. I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if this is an issue that cannot be reproduced. I've checked the FAQ and VCF but couldn't find anything about this.

I had some problems getting the EP2 demo to run. Everytime I started the program, the game would show the intro and titlepage and then hang. It turned out I had to disable the TV set I was using via the "Twinview" option of my Geforce 2 MX card.

But maybe y'all knew this...

Greetings,

IamVincent

Hi, my episode 2 runs but i can not see any of the icons, eg: in config all i get in a blank screen bordered with a blue border, no icons at all!,

My real question is, will this problem carry on into retail version of BCM?

Not sure if this goes here but place it where ever is correct...

What order should the IA missions be listed? mine are as follows: in White IA 1 is the commander mission. in yellow IA 2 is the marine mission (which by the way is impossible as all the local laser turrets fire at the atv and destroy it in 1-2 seconds before i can do anything, other than bail-out of atv, let me know if this is normal). in yellow IA3 is the bonus mission on satini(ef pilot). in yellow IA4 is the Heavy Assault Gunship mission...which should be IA3...right? If someone could confirm this with me it would/might help narrow down some possible solutions to some technical problems I am having. Thank You

Sadly for me the 12.41's were poor drivers and caused BCM and ALL my first person games to freeze after awhile. I switched to the 10.80 which seem fine so far(man I really liked those 12.90 drivers they were sweeet, but caused a "fogging" problem during plantary ops. However they were the fastest most solid of the bunch. There are those that have had no such problems using 12.90 so I am thinking its a setting that needs changing some where.) I also recommend to people to get the RivaTuner v2.0 RC5 program read up on how to use it. It can help you to work out the best settings for a game.

Can someone help me with my avi problems (see above posts) it must be something simple, but I can't figure out what. I now have Media Player 7.1 and have installed the 1.04.01 beta drivers for my V5 5500, but still get the same problems with the 2 3000ad logo avis and the Xpl01.avi. I don't understand why all the other Xpl avi's play but not Xpl01?

Incidentally, when I close any programme, it takes about half a second for the window to gradually close down the screen, if you see what I mean? I know this is not BC:M related but I wonder if it is symptomatic of the same problems?

More info: if I right click on either 3klogo.avi or Xpl01.avi, then go to Preview, it gives me a little screen with diagonal black lines on a white background and the message:

'video not available, cannot find vids.MSCV decompressor'

Does this help any?

Edit:

Well yes it did, for some reason my Video (de?)compression wasn't turned on in the Windows setup (I didn't install Win 98 myself, I'll have you know, now all my avis play beautifully

Edit #2:

Nope, spoke too soon, the Xpl01.avi still doesn't play, but gives this error message (still)

No combination of filters could be found to render the stream. (Error=80040218)

I checked the Media Player tech site, but this error has no known fix. It just tells me it must be encoded with the wrong codecs. This seems strange, as I assume all the other .avi's use the same codec, and they all play fine. It can't be a corrupt file from the download, as it is the same in episodes 1 and 2, ep1 came from the PCZone CD, while Ep2 was downloaded.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

had an interesting error while playing ep2 demo this morning. I got a " memory allocation failed at E:projectmsdevBCFLIGHTbitmap.cpp,line 57"

Funny thing is my E drive is my cd-rom. This happened while switching views during the EF pilot mission while letting the ai do my dog fighting. I tried to switch back to f1 view and the above error popped up. Any ideas?

Ahhhh so thats the problem....wonderful! thank you! Yes my virtual memory is nailed to a specific size to help some games like, Unreal Tournament, run more effectively. I guess BCM must use a TON of virtual memory. You would think 256min and 512max settings would be sufficient for anything..except the HAL 9000 . I am also going to assume that a portion of crash issues are based on this little item alone. Was this in the faq? I dont remember reading this there...I'll go look again.

I am running windows 98 with 128mb of ram.

Ran into another memory problem this evening. While playing the EF pilot mission on satini for the fourth time in a single session the game minimized and popped up a message saying I ran out of disk space. Now that would seem like a reasonable warning if I had a low amount of memory and virtual memory space. The kicker is the game litterally ate 1.2 gigs of free space on my system. It took everything I had left on my drive. I mean....thats alot for anything. Does the virtual memory/swap disk space not clear out between games in a single session? Or does BCM just continually ask for more and more till it can't get no more? Or are there memory optimizations still in the works? BTW does anyone else notice this amount of space getting eaten up?..hehe better not install anything else if I want to play

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Harlocke ]

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Harlocke ]

Nova, I edited my post during your reply. You may want to read it again with the new info. I do realize that 128mb is sufficient...but it sure doesn't seem like it. The 512mb setting for bcm is definatly not acceptable because I noticed that the game is Waaaaay more stable on dynamic VM than set VM. And on Dynamic it just wont stop eating memory over time, BCM was nowhere near full on the 1.2gigs it gobbled from me. Also when I re-maximized the game an interesting visual artifact occured .."fogging". This was the problem I was having with the 12.90 drivers for nvidia mx board. So I'm wondering if the problem with the drivers i was having was some how memory related. I think I will test them again on the dynamic vm setting, because before when trying them I was not using Dynamic VM.

Had an interesting time last night......opened up Ep2, intro played then gave me the 'Fatal Error' message (or whatever it is) and threw me to the desktop. Tried again and this time got through to the main menu no problem. Choose the station defence scenario..........and the planet is HUGE, filling up the whole screen and very polygonal. As if I'm in the stratosphere, not just launched from Alderon. Everything else in the scenario is OK. If I choose the Marine mission, I often get thrown back to windows. So un-installed and re-installed the Ep2 and everything was back to normal. Then......updated with the bonus scenario.......and I've got the huge planet and crashing problems again. This happened several times. Basically, updating with the bonus scenario caused problems with the rest of the demo. Any ideas?

interesting ,paddy. I was wondering if the bonus mission was the cause of some problems. I never tried the ep2 demo with out it...guess I should try it and see what happens. I thought it was normal for you and the alderon station to start off at such a low orbit. The only real strange thing i noticed is that the EFpilot and PF? pilot missions are in the wrong order. Anyhow I was hoping for a reply to my previous post on the VM usage by the game. It's rather extreme after a time.