Flashing Icon or HUD (E2 Demo)

Cmdr Nova

I decided to make another topic for this, because this problem affects a lot of Video Cards and more people may possibly get affected by it.

Here goes.....

The HUD problem that I experienced is most likely a driver problem. The HUD, and the Support Craft icons on the right flash, and some are invisible (flashing too fast?). Also, I get the ground texture layer problem, outlined in the Troubleshooting FAQ, and the first IA would start to load, show the sequence of leaving the station, and kick back to windows. These only happened in episode 2.

I have these system specs:

Celeron 500

64mb System Ram

All In Wonder 128 (Rage 128 Based)

Windows ME

Direct X 8

Crivens has reported this problem with his Rage Fury card, and Baloogan has reported it with his Rage Pro Turbo.

quote:

Posted by crivens:

• Hmmmmm, the HUD graphics flash sparodically (is that a word? it came to mind). The movement keys dont work, so my little character wont go anywhere or do anything.

---

• Anyway, I tried downloading official ATI drivers for my Fury and I disabled the options in the BIOS according to the FAQ, but the HUD graphics are still screwed up. Oh and my keyboard seems to be ok now - I was getting some strange things happening but that's been happening a lot recently anyway. Damn Windows is all messed up.

quote:

Posted by Baloogan:

Hi I d/l ed this demo yesterday, but i cant get it to work...

All it does is flash my icons, and stop working, not locked but the demo is not working,

Speks:

Celeron 366,

64 MB NVRAM

ATI Rage Pro Turbo

Anyone have this same problem?

Only happens with E2, E1 still works fine...

I strongly believe it is a Rage problem, considering the fact that most of the ATI Rage cards are based on the same driver set. All of the following are based on either of the Rage Chipsets (even the most recent ones), which use the driver.

Quote from ATI Rage 128 Driver Page (latest revision):

quote:

Windows 98/ME Display Driver build 4.13.7078

Requirements
  • Windows 98, Windows 98 SE or Windows ME

• DirectX 8.x or higher

Supports
  • ALL-IN-WONDER 128 PRO

• ALL-IN-WONDER 128

• RAGE FURY PRO

• RAGE FURY

• RAGE MAGNUM

• RAGE 128

• RAGE 128 PRO

• XPERT 2000 PRO

• XPERT 2000

• XPERT 128

• XPERT 99

I'm writing and sending in Problem Report to ATI, soon. I also think everyone else with the problem to also send it, too. If your card isn't ATI, then tell me on this topic. If you have an above card and you don't have this problem, also post here. Any information will help.

ATI Problem Report Info

If enough of us send in reports, then they'll start listening to us.

---

A side note, Episode 1 worked and still works fine. The reason for this is because E1 used Direct X 7, instead of the newer DX8.

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

hey,

quote:

Crivens has reported this problem with his Rage Fury card, and Baloogan has reported it with his Rage Pro Turbo.

I said my icons (Desktop, (Refresh?)), i could not even get into the game,

After i tried in windowed mode, i could not see the buttions in cofig or logistix or in tactical, i other icons look fine.

The ATI site is somewhat convolute. The link you need to head for, to actually begin the process of transferring your report to ATI, is here:

http://support.ati.com/contact/select_region.html

If you link to the Solve a Problem page at ATI, you see that the originally posted link is the step for gathering the info, and you follow it up by my first link above.

I know all this because I submitted to ATI a problem report two days ago with regard to the Radeon and ground textures planetside on E2 (SC says its a driver problem). All you Radeon users out there, don't forget to file your reports with ATI too!

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

The reason for this is because E1 used Direct X 7, instead of the newer DX8.

I'd take yet another stab at Microsoft, but by principle this is as far as I'm going.

Well, ATI fixed it, in their beta driver release. Dated June 27, 2001.

Uhh, when "swimming", I seem to walk on some sort of transparent layer above the ground.......

Also, I crashed into the water, because it was completely transparent in some areas (on FarStar). I can seet the water on other parts, though..

I was going in for a landing on a beach, but it ended up to be water. When I jumped ship, the water was really deep, so it wasn't that it was shallow.....

[ 07-14-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]