Getting error message on startup

maheanuu

Well, never saw an error like that.

Is this demo 1 or demo 2?

Make sure you read the demo faq. Try and have the latest video drivers for your video card and sond card.

The drivers should be direct X 8 compatible.

BTW, what are your sysytem specs:

Windows Os: ?

Make and model of Video card an version

of drivers: ?

• 4 weeks later...

I just redownloaded/reinstalled demo 2, and i get this error when i try to load the game:

'"The instruction at "0x004db390" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "read".'

Has anyone had this?? I searched the forum (and the faq and vcf with the demo) and i didn't see anything like this, but if i missed it, sorry.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the little 3000AD video loads, and then i get this message after it's done.

my system is this:

AMD 1.2ghz t-bird

192 megs 'o ram

Voodoo 3 3000 16meg agp (with latest drivers)

WIN2k (no service packs)

DirectX 8.0a

Thanks,

Capt. HM

eh... who cares now BCM is comming out this week!! (with luck tomorrow will be the day) .. But did you try re-installing directX 8 or video card drivers? If that fails you can always 'hit your computer in that special way' or 'kick it in that special place'

Update: What Carl said would be on the right track for other errors, but with a memory error, re-installing Direct X and Vid Card drivers wouldn't probably help. Good job in attempting to help, Carl; I would have said the same thing, if I hadn't noticed one thing. (I'll outline that next.) I hope you'll still be as helpful when the Newbie flood of BCM comes over. Lord help us all.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain He-Man:

my system is this:

AMD 1.2ghz t-bird

192 megs 'o ram

WIN2k (no service packs)

DirectX 8.0a

At first I had no idea on what could be the problem. I was going to have you re-install the basics, at first (Direct X, Vid Card Drivers, Windows Media).... And then, like *ding* *ding* *ding*, it hit me.

Right now, I'd start with the service packs. The Troubleshooting FAQ explicitly states, oh say, about 10 lines in, that the minimum requirements are:

quote:

Windows 98/ME/
/XP
(with all service packs)

Pentium II 300Mhz or AMD K6-2 350Mhz CPU

64 MB RAM (128MB minimum for WIN2K/WINXP)

16MB DirectX 8 compliant 3D graphics card

16Bit DirectX 8 compliant sound card

8X CD-ROM

500MB uncompressed hard drive disk space

Microsoft compatible mouse

That just might fix it. I'm not sure what else to do. If it doesn't, then I'll let someone else answer. (Or, you could do the Direct X, Vid Card Drivers, and try some sort of Motherboard/Bios/Chipset updates as a last resort; it's my guess since it's a memory error. Last resort, though.)

And if you've got more questions, you can try me, and I'll try to field the answers if I can. After all, I'm the Newbie Welcome Wagon, and even if you're not a newbie, I'm here to help anyway. Did I ever give you a formal welcome, He-Man? Ah, who cares; welcome aboard. Hope to see you in multiplayer.

More Targets (*cough*, I mean players)= More FUN!

quote:

I just redownloaded/reinstalled demo 2, and i get this error when i try to load the game:

'"The instruction at "0x004db390" referenced memory at "0x000000000". The memory could not be "read".'

Has anyone had this?? I searched the forum (and the faq and vcf with the demo) and i didn't see anything like this, but if i missed it, sorry.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the little 3000AD video loads, and then i get this message after it's done.

my system is this:

AMD 1.2ghz t-bird

192 megs 'o ram

WIN2k (no service packs)

DirectX 8.0a

Thanks,

Capt. HM

I used to have a Voodoo 3000 also and EP 2 would not run for me in win2k(with SP 2) I tried some recommendations in the FAQ/VCF but could not get it to work( I have to admit I didn't try to hard as I could play in Win98 and knew I was upgrading my video card soon(thought I'd add this before somebody shoots me out an airlock for not following the VCF/FAQ)). My final solution was to go out and buy a Geforce 2 card and I have never had any problems since everything works like a dream. My error with EP2 was much the same as yours 3000AD intro plays then error and back to desktop.

My best suggestion change your vid card you will not regret it!

quote:

Thanks for the help.. i'll try getting the service packs, but i don't see how they'll help.

And i would so love to just go out and pick up a new video card, but my money tree is bare!

Capt. HM

I reloaded Win2k on my system recently and didn't have SP2 installed and had problems running some games which used direct X(Jedi Knight wouldn't run even though it would before the reload) so I downloaded and applied SP2 again and they all work again so I can only assume(since I haven't read the updates in SP2) that it extends the Direct X compatibilities of Win2K(among other areas)

I don't think he has to upgrade his Video Card, if he can't really afford it. I'm in that sorta area right now. I've been playing the BCM Demos with nothing more than a Celeron 500 and an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 (Rage 128, 16 MB).....

quote:

Posted by Captain He-Man:

i'll try getting the service packs, but i don't see how they'll help.

How could you say that? They attack and repair Windows's many bugs, at the core! See Emmett.hendrick's post for more pursuasion (spelling?)....

LMAO->Epsilon 5

Nova: what i meant was i don't see how the service packs would help with bcm trying to read from an incorrect area in memory. i know the sp's are suppose to fix windows... but can it really ever be fully fixed anyways?

but anyways... I got both service packs, and I still get the same error...

I don't see how it can be my video card because the demo worked for me during the summer, when i was running winME...

Capt. HM

quote:

Nova: what i meant was i don't see how the service packs would help with bcm trying to read from an incorrect area in memory. i know the sp's are suppose to fix windows... but can it really ever be fully fixed anyways?

but anyways... I got both service packs, and I still get the same error...

I don't see how it can be my video card because the demo worked for me during the summer, when i was running winME...

Capt. HM

WHEN were you planning on actually ANSWERING some of the questions you are being asked? Or don't you need help at all?

A BIOS update to your mobo might help. (With memory read errors.) Um, if you know how to upgrade a BIOS, that is. I could help if you need me. Just holler, and tell me what mobo manufacturer/model, if you do.

Then again, a BIOS update is the last resort. Try using CNET's Catch-Up utility on their site, to update everything you've got. I mean everything.

Ooh, and I took Ep5 and SC's advice.... (See sig)

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

sorry for not replying sooner... i've had midterms (last one tomorrow!) and labs and assignments comming out the wazoo!

here are (i hope) answers to all the questions that i've gotten so far. hopefully it will fill everyone in on the state of my pc:

-i got the newest video card drivers

-i got directx 8.0A

-i hit and kicked my computer in all it's special places (sometimes more than once)

-i installed sp 1 and 2

-no, i didn't get a formal welcome before. thank you very much for it now.

-my mobo is an asus a7v133

sorry to not fully answer everyone before... jeez, you guys are a stiff bunch.. jk

i really do appreciate the help.

i'll give the bios update a whirl, but if it still doesn't work after that, i'll just wait for the 3rd demo (or until i get the full game itself).

would it be better to get updates from asus, or to use this catch-up utility that you mentioned?

thanks,

he-man

Nova: i'm picturing a space ship with a little wagon towed behind it full of fruit baskets...

quote:

What do you expect? We're military types. <
>

Just becouse I wear BDU's 5 days a week + and have the rank of Corporal does not mean I am in the Military. Hell, I have not been in the Military for over 10 years. I do have a shiny pair of Handcuffs...

quote:

jeez, you guys are a stiff bunch.. jk

I didn't hear you say sir! 30 push-ups for you, NOW! FASTER! I thought we were training recruits today! My DEAD grand-mother is faster than that! You spent too much time watching teletubbies don't you?

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by KreKol:

Just becouse I wear BDU's 5 days a week + and have the rank of Corporal does not mean I am in the Military. Hell, I have not been in the Military for over 10 years. I do have a shiny pair of Handcuffs...

ROTFLMAO!!!