system requirments

Guest Josh

I have a intel 8010 integrated graphics card that shares the system memory. I have 190 megs of system memory, and my machine has 766 celeron processor. I know the system requirments indicate that a graphics card with 16mb is required, but I have lots of software with similar requirments that work well on my machine. Will BCM run on my machine?

Cheers

J

quote:

Originally posted by Josh:

It shares the system ram though, so technically it has 190 mb of available ram to occupy...

No it doesn't

And no, the game is not supported on your system. You need a video card with dedicated 16MB of RAM.

First of all, the Intel 810 chipset uses up to 11 MB of system RAM. (have an 810)

quote:

Why don't you try the demo and see it for yourself?

I have an 810. (Like I said.) I tried it (don't hurt me, I knew what I was getting myself into). I can answer that one for you. Ick. Ultra-low framerates, like less than 3 FPS, and freezes every 10-15 seconds for a bit.....

RTF-Troubleshooting FAQ. It explicitly says:

quote:

• If you have an Intel i810 video board :

• Get rid of it....and any other cheapo on-board graphics chip found on motherboards. They are NOT supported!!

Get yourself an actual graphics card. I don't care if it's a cheap 16 MB card, at least you'll be able to at least get a good 15 FPS+, which is good enough to play on. I hope I'll be seeing you in multiplayer.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Ok, so I downloaded the low content episode 1 demo... It works pretty well on my machine, not perfectly, but it looks playable. Is this a good indication of how the final product will run on my machine?

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Download the EP2 demo. EP2 uses dx8 and is basically very close to what the actual game will run like.

No its not. Not even close

Try reading the demo readme to see what kernel was used in the E2 demo. Then read the Beta VCF to see the difference since that kernel to the actual Gold release version.

Ok, with all due respect to the SC for having produced great games...

YES IT DOES.

The troubleshooting file for the BCM demo episode 1 demo says that an 8 mb video accelerator is the min requirement... Maybe we're talking about different files or something, but I am fairly literate and I know what the file on my computer, downloaded with the demo, says. Maybe you could mind your manners and show some respect for the people that will make you rich buying your software.

I gather that the answer is "The full version will require a 16 mb video card, and no, the demo is abosultly no indication of whether or not the full game will run at all or well on your computer, this making it slightly useless as a demo." That would have been a usefull, and non-condescending response to my question. Am I correct in my interperetation of the situation?

Cheers

J

I don't care about the demo Josh. I'm talking about the RELEASED game. Get it now?

If you are able to run the demo on a system that meets with its requirements, good for you. But the FACT is, just because you CAN run the demo, doesn't mean you CAN run the final game.

I hope this is clear

I have to agree with Josh. I read the message boards and sometimes I have to laugh. It's almost like the SC has his fans fearful of saying the wrong thing. Look, I know that there was a lot of crap that went down during the initial release of BC, but chill out SC. Everyone that logs onto these boards is willing to give BCM a chance. Those that don't, well it'll be their loss, but for the rest of us...Try and be a little more compassionate in your replies. Not everyone has the time to read through tons of resource material posted on these boards. I'll tell you the truth, I was one of the people who bought BC back in the day, and I was not happy...But hey, welcome to the 21st century, it's a new day and all is good so lets all get along here. So what if someone asks a stupid question, answer it. After all it's like Josh said, we're the ones who are buying the game. If you want respect then learn to give it a little, SC. You're a brilliant developer but your social skills are a little lacking (If you ban me from this board, so be it, I'll still buy the game, but try and realize that some of the people that will purchase BCM are new to all this...And they can use your help. After all, they're not the poeple who gave you problems back in the day. These are the people who will help bring the BC legacy into the future...It's my opinion that you should treat them as such). Well, good luck with the launch and I hope BCM is recieved well throughout the gaming community, the game rocks!...Take care.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: schoch1 ]

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: schoch1 ]

SC was giving Josh the right information and correcting him. What's wrong with that? Would you rather have him not reply at all and have Josh thinking that the game requires a minimum of 8mb video memory?

The problem is he didn't actually answer my question, he just said I was wrong... which I wasn't. I think the problem is that I should have asked a more clear and specific question.

However, yes, I would have prefered no response than a rude response that didn't actually provide any useful information.

However, in the interest of not starting a way, I would also like to compliment the SC on the fact that he actually monitors and responds to all, or almost all, posts personally.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

SC was giving Josh the right information and correcting him. What's wrong with that? Would you rather have him not reply at all and have Josh thinking that the game requires a minimum of 8mb video memory?

Hey!! I was just going to post that.

quote:

Originally posted by Josh: The problem is he didn't actually answer my question, he just said I was wrong...

uhm, don't you consider my response an answer?

quote:

which I wasn't.

Yes you were - and in many aspects. Starting with the the 190mb graphics card.

Further, you asked Will BCM run on my machine?

And the answer is what I gave. You didn't ask about the demo.

Then you ask again Is this a good indication of how the final product will run on my machine?

Maybe I'm just used to the SC, but I don't think his tone was condescending. Curt maybe. But so he's curt. Big deal.

I know you're new here Josh, but this board is used to people with strong opinions. Don't feel like you're getting trampled on. You're not. Not yet at least

All I want to add is that I really strongly feel that when this board is rebuilt in a few days, we need a Newbie forum.

I strongly recommend one forum dedicated to all the silly, or not so silly (sorry Josh) newbie questions.

It's your domain SC. And of course you can do what you want with it, but the game is going to get more new players than it has ever had before. This is a very good thing! And I think that there should be one forum just for them. That's my .02. Now back to waiting for the game.

quote:

Originally posted by Kush:

All I want to add is that I really strongly feel that when this board is rebuilt in a few days, we need a Newbie forum.

I agree, but how do you prevent newbies from posting elsewhere? I mean, they WILL see a newbie forum, but still go and post in other BCM dedicated forums (e.g. BCM Discussion).

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I agree, but how do you prevent newbies from posting elsewhere? I mean, they WILL see a newbie forum, but still go and post in other BCM dedicated forums (e.g. BCM Discussion).

Won't you be able to move topics on the new forum? That would seem the most simple solution.

That would seem ideal...If you could move the posts into the newbie forum and explain (politely ) that all newbie posts go into the newbie forum, I think people will begiin to get the idea and everyone will be happy! Thanks for listening SC...That in itself says something about your character.