system requirments

Guest Josh

What about multiple newbie forums (one for each major section)? Actually, that may be hard...

Or how about hyperlinks on each major forum's top-level page to a main newbie forum?

Something like:

"Are you a newbie, or have newbie questions that need answered? Post them _here_!"

at the top of every forum where it will be prominantly seen, and then have it link to the one and only official newbie forum?

quote:

The troubleshooting file for the BCM demo episode 1 demo says that an 8 mb video accelerator is the min requirement...

1) Episode 1 Demo used Direct X 7, it didn't have planet models, and didn't have much of the optimizations. That's why it doesn't give you a clear view of the final game.

2) Episode 2 still didn't have a lot of the optimizations. Much of the kernel has still been changed (in the 3 months between when Episode 2 was released and when the game went gold), and your mileage may still vary from version to version. That's why it doesn't give you a clear view of the final game.

quote:

It's almost like the SC has his fans fearful of saying the wrong thing. Look, I know that there was a lot of crap that went down during the initial release of BC, but chill out SC.

(Soback) Download the EP2 demo. EP2 uses dx8 and is basically very close to what the actual game will run like.

---

(SC) No its not. Not even
close

---

(Josh) Ok, with all due respect to the SC for having produced great games...

YES IT DOES.

3) First of all, how can you say that to the man who made the game? Second, how can you be sure, if you don't have the final game yet? DirectX? There's more to a game than the graphics libraries it uses. I guess you weren't a VCF-aholic....

quote:

I gather that the answer is "The full version will require a 16 mb video card, and no, the demo is abosultly no indication of whether or not the full game will run at all or well on your computer, this making it slightly useless as a demo." That would have been a usefull, and non-condescending response to my question. Am I correct in my interperetation of the situation?

Yes, and no. Yes, it needs 16MB. No, the demo isn't useless.

Demo->Demonstration. Hmm... They've had Windows XP demonstrations since early this year, even though development was still in swing (meaning it's in beta). Just like the BCM Demos. Lots have changed since the first demos. Are those WinXP demonstrations useless? The BCM and WinXP demos did what they wanted to: show and display the new features, and show them a tiny, tiny bit of what was to come. (I guess the meaning of demo has changed with online gaming. For more on gaming's effect on terms, see here.)

At least you got the answers you needed. I hope you stick around. Multiplayer is gonna rock our universe!

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

• 5 weeks later...
Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I don't care about the demo Josh. I'm talking about the RELEASED game. Get it now?

If you are able to run the demo on a system that meets with its requirements, good for you. But the FACT is, just because you CAN run the demo, doesn't mean you CAN run the final game.

I hope this is clear

I have to agree with SC on this one. AS an Automotive engineer you follow the spec, or you get things catching on fire years down the line.

If it says it requires 16MB then even if it runs today, and it runs when the full game comes out, you could get a patch that turns on some feature SC was working on 2 months from now, and it may no longer work on your system.

SC has freedom to add and change any and everything at any time upto the point where he violates the requirements he put forth for the game.

Don't be a victim.

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

OK, I'll create a newbie forum before the game gets into
their
hands.

Good, and ban yourself from it

In the advanced Java forum people get raked for asking beginner questions. This has become acceptable. Just provide the necessary warning. Even veterans can ask chobo questions every now and then.