Demo #1 isn't working?

Chrysophylax

I have win2000. When I start the game, the screen goes black, flickers and then returns to desktop. I have an nVidia 32MB Geforce2 MX W/TVOUT. The FAQ says I need detonator 3 drivers version 6.50. I have version 12.10. I then downloaded the latest DetonatorXP drivers version 21.83. The game still refused to work.

My comp specs are:

P4 1.5Ghz,

80GB HDD (about 60 GB free)

256 MB RAM

nvidia 32MB Geforce2 MX W/TVOUT

Could someone help me out? I really want to play this game.

I sorta had that same problem.. Played it once and it didnt run again... But then i clicked it like 3 times quickly (on accident) and the game ran.. I know its stupid but her: "If it is stupid, but works, then it isnt stupid."

I recomend downloading Ep2 it has alot less bugs and you can do some planetary missions. Though I find Ep1 more fun on the station def. where you get to load up on gammies with your cruiser

When I first read the FAQ, I looked around for the Z-buffer thingy. As stupid as this may sound, the Display properties->advanced section doesn't say anything about Direct3d. The closest I got to this was the 3D antialiasing control. I tried tinkering with it, but still couldn't get the demo to work. I tried doing the super fast triple mouse click as suggested. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

quote:

Originally posted by Chrysophylax:

When I first read the FAQ, I looked around for the Z-buffer thingy. As stupid as this may sound, the Display properties->advanced section doesn't say anything about Direct3d. The closest I got to this was the 3D antialiasing control. I tried tinkering with it, but still couldn't get the demo to work. I tried doing the super fast triple mouse click as suggested. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

If you actually READ the FAQ, you would see that it SPECIFICALLY mentions the drivers which DO work with the E1 demo. In the later drivers, nVidia have REMOVED access to the z-buffer settings.

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

A tongue lashing from SC was all I needed to be formally initiated into the BC brotherhood

I downloaded the second demo and it works just fine. The FAQ says it knows a couple of drivers that do work. It doesn't say the latest ones won't work. Since the z-buffer controls have been disabled, isn't there any way I could get this first demo to work?

quote:

Originally posted by Chrysophylax:

A tongue lashing from SC was all I needed to be formally initiated into the BC brotherhood

heh, while true, I think you got away relatively scot free

quote:

I downloaded the second demo and it works just fine.

Thats because it uses DX8 and nVidia fixed their drivers.

quote:

The FAQ says it knows a couple of drivers that do work. It doesn't say the latest ones won't work. Since the z-buffer controls have been disabled, isn't there any way I could get this first demo to work?

The FAQ says no such thing. Read it again. S_L_O_W_L_Y this time.

nVidia removed the Z buffer check because it was illegal to begin with (hence the problem in DX7) and in order pass WHQL certification, that setting had to be removed from their applet and the driver registry.

Yes, I was right all along when I reported that it was an nVidia problem to begin with.

No, unless I recompile the E1 demo using the latest code, it won't work. I don't plan on doing this - so don't ask. If you're going to buy the game and the E2 demo doesn't give you enough info, you're not going to buy the game anyway. You don't need fifty demos for that. I only released episodic demos because having all the features in a single demo was not feasible. If you're late to the party, you're late to the party. No use crying over it.

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

the screen goes black, flickers and then returns to desktop

i had the same problem with E1. so I got E2 yesterday (so i could get a little practise before i got the game proper) and installed and played it last night. all I have to say is that it was a visual orgasm! my jaw was on the floor till 2am (when i finnally managed to drag myself kicking and screaming from the computer to go sleep )

I pre ordered BCM purely on the merits of bc3000ad v2.08 and the features/screenshots listed on the homepage. Boy am I glad I pre ordered! that demo is gonna get a LOT of mileage! thanks SC.

quote:

Chrysophylax:

----------

Supreme Cmdr:

heh, while true, I think you got away relatively scot free

Yep. I've had a lot worse happen to me.... But that was when I was a newbie.

Welcome aboard.

I'm Nova, and I'll be here to answer any other questions you'll probably have. Either private message me, or email me ( [email protected] ), and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. And, if you need some reference on the Online and Gaming universe, check my Newbie Info page, here. Note that it's still WIP (work in progress).

Hope to talk to you later.

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Never expected this thread to become active again

Buckthesystem, the second demo is pretty awesome. I kept dreaming about flying into space The moment I can raise the required number of credits (read, money) I'm getting this game.

Nova, thanks for the show of support

I'm sure I will have a lot of questions, and now I'll know where to direct them (Won't have to get SC all worked up this way )

I am having trouble with demo2, black screen on startup straight back to desktop.

I would like to read the FAQ but the link seems to be broken.

EDIT>

I have downloaded it from the downloads section on the BC300ad site.

Looks like I need Media Player 7, I was holding off getting that too ;-)

System specs are:

Althlon 1.4

Epox M/B

512MB DDR

16GB free space on primary drive

Nvidia Quadro2 Pro 64MB

DX8

SB Live

Cable Modem

Thanks

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Tim ]

Hmm.... Upon reading this message, I also noticed the FAQ was down. SC?

Anyway, I'd upgrade your drivers for that nVidia graphics card of yours, and such.

And you edited just as I was gonna post!

quote:

EDIT>

I have downloaded it from the downloads section on the BC300ad site.

Looks like I need Media Player 7, I was holding off getting that too ;-)

Hehe. That'd be your problem, Tim. I'm figuring it has to do with the Intro Movie, but it doesn't matter (you still need it).

Not sure if I am getting any closer. Have just downloaded and installed MPlayer 7.1, re-installed latest Nvidia drivers and DX8.

Still no joy, checked the error log file that BCM creates and it says:

--- Debug log opened ---

Enumerated:

display

Primary Display Driver

OnSizeX: 0

OnSizeY: 0

OnSizeX: 788

OnSizeY: 550

Primary Display Driver

Initalizing Direct3D using Primary Display Driver display

Creating primary surface

Creating windowed target surface

Creating Z buffer surface

Creating zbuffer

CreateSurface z-buffer done

Zbuffer attached

Surfaces created

Fatal Error!

Couldn't create d3d device

Error: DDERR_GENERIC

GUID: 84e63de0-46aa-11cf-816f-00-c020-156e

pddsTarget: 83513200, pd3dDevice: 0

--- Debug log closed ---

Appologies for pasting the whole thing in, but it's quite small.

Seems that everything works fine until it tries to create the d3d device.

I have tried the BIOS tweaks listed in the FAQ and reducing the Hardware Accelleration in Windows Display Panel. Still no joy.

I have Max Payne that uses DX8 and have had no trouble with that.

Is it possible that game code don't recognise the Quadro 2 Pro?? I know the chip is slightly different but it is a NVidia manufactured board (Ex-Dell Workstation). (I'm gonna get a beating for that one!!)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

EDIT

Sould mention that I am running Win98

EDIT

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Tim ]

I'm not really sure (I'm just a really intelligent and infromed gamer), but I'm thinking it's direct X. Let's see. These are the lines that caught my attention:

quote:

Couldn't create d3d device

Error: DDERR_GENERIC

The lines after that have some ID numbers or some code or whatever, but I have no idea what the hell they are.....

Shouldn't be the chipset, because nVidia keeps making newer drivers. Make sure you've got the latest ones (Detonator XP x21.83 for Win9x-ME), from this page, and on the downloads thing on the left, select either

"Download Driver via FTP 1", or "Windows 9x Driver (v21.83)". Also try Direct X 8a; not sure if you have the "a" revision, from your posts. Get them here

Other than that, I'm not sure what the problem could possibly be. (I'm not perfect, remember?)

Unfortunately I had already checked those before posting. Am using the XP drivers and DX8a. I am at work at the moment, but would like to get the demo working as I pre-ordered BCM at the beginning of October.

I will have another look tonight and start from scratch, working step by step.

Thanks for the help anyway ;-)