BCM Demo2 and 3D shutter glasses

philgreen

I've been reading about BCM for a long time; I loved Derek's attitude and the way he does things.

Soooo...I felt the SC deserved payment for his efforts, and pre-ordered BCM from EB's online store.

Then I downloaded the Episode 2 Demo and gave it a test run. I like it. I like it alot. THEN I put on the 3D shutter glasses, hit the hot key for the Nvidia stereo drivers and man what a difference!! With the exception of anomalies in the 2D tactical screens, this game works extremely well with Stereo-3D glasses!

I know it wasn't developed with these in mind, but I wanted to let everyone know they should try it if they have the means. It adds alot to the already massive scale of the models in BCM.

Thanks, SC, BCM scores high marks all around! I can't wait for my copy to arrive!!!!

No, not the funky 'red and blue' glasses. Though I am sure the EyeScream Light glasses would work, those rely on the processor to do most of the stereo separation and that might take too much away from BCM.

The ones I used are the LCD shutter glasses, the ones that shut off the vision to each eye in tune with the redraw of the left and right separate images that the Nvidia Stereo drivers (and the hardware for the glasses) generate on the screen.

Actually, it looks just like BCM, only there is a very real perception of distance and depth that you do not get without the glasses. The star-field, from the 3D glasses perspective is truly impressive, very deep, vast seeming. In addition, all the models, especially the planets and the clouds, seem to have more volume. It's really hard to explain- you have to see it.

Hmmm...If you've ever seen really good 3D, like at Universal Studios, or some of the better I-MAX 3D movies you'll have an idea of what to expect. The only issues are with all the 2D tactical screens, but I can't complain about that as BCM was not really developed for the 3D glasses.

I gotta say it again; Derek Smart has really done a GREAT job on this game. From just Demo2, I feel that it looks fantastic and I am going to lock my wife and kids in the closet under the stairs so I can play the demo in peace!!!

Which glasses are you using? I sort of have this fetish for Stereo 3D, but have yet to try out a REALLY good pair.

The last set I bought was a VRJoy2000 that my local EB carries (Where I will be working as of next Thursday! Woot!). They SUCK. After thorough pacing, I discovered that the lenses just werent darkening enough to completely block out an eye, SO each eye was getting one clear image and one greyed-out image, essentially creating this terrible "ghosting" effect. Had the glasses been working correctly, you should get the feeling that you're crossing your eyes when they're out of adjustment. With the VRJoy2000, the image just gets blurry. Ech.

I've been considering picking up a pair of ELSA 3D Revelator Infrared glasses now that Nvidia has released their universal Stereo3D drivers. But Stereo3D is really still in its infancy (Even though I was using a VRSurfer from VRex when Descent 2 came out) thanks to manufacturers requiring their own damn video cards and drivers for them to work. Nvidia deserves some MASSIVE kudos and congratulations for making some decent drivers.

Anyhoo, back to the topic. Which glasses are you currently using? Do you notice any "ghosting" effects whatsoever when using the glasses? What video card and monitor are you using and what resolutions do you play at?

If you really want to gauge ghosting on your glasses, try them with Deus Ex.

P.S. For the layman: Ghosting is essentially "seeing double". Rather than each eye getting a seperate image, each eye is getting both images or "one-and-a-half" images.

quote:

Anyhoo, back to the topic. Which glasses are you currently using? Do you notice any "ghosting" effects whatsoever when using the glasses? What video card and monitor are you using and what resolutions do you play at?[/QB]

The glasses I am using are from H3D, they are essentially the same glasses shipped as the 3D Revelator glasses. The Nvidia stereo drivers allow for you to adjust the stereo separation to best suit the user- as everyone percieves it a little differently. Naturallym if you have the drivers out of adjustment, you will have 'ghosting'. Luckily the Nvidia drivers and the hardware with the H3D glasses allow for hotkey adjustments on-the-fly, so you can set it differently for each game if need be.

There are some games where ghosting is inevitable, as they are not well written, but BCM is one that works well!

One thing about the BCM demo. The anomalies on the 2D screens do require that I turn of the stereo to view them properly, but as it is just a CTRL-HOME(or whatever you set it to) to do turn the stereo 3D off and on, it is not a hassle at all.

Scrivener, I remember reading about that LCD somewhere. It's the DTS 3d Virtual Window. I think someone even made a post about that here on the forums....

There's a contest going on to try to win one of those 15 inch models......

And here's a review of it from Sharky Extreme.

It looks promising. I even entered the contest! Wow, 2k... I could get myself a lot for that much.

Thanks for the heads up I am buying one of the Elsa cards this week and I was considering getting the glasses aswell wasn't sure how they'd work with BCM but after reading this I think I will pay the extra money and get them.

(now all I need is a BCM voicelink and I can truly get the expierence of siting on the bridge barking orders at my crew LOL)

I like the freedom that Infrared gives. There's nothing more annoying than having to deal with that nasty cord hanging off your face.

I think I'm going to go with the H3D wireless glasses from I-O. After e-mailing them with some questions, they said I could always return them in 30 days for a full refund. Of course, I'd have to pay shipping, I'm sure; but $10 is much less a loss than $100.

You know what would REALLY be cool? Microsoft Shutter Glasses for the X-Box. Yeah!

quote:

I think I'm going to go with the H3D wireless glasses from I-O. After e-mailing them with some questions, they said I could always return them in 30 days for a full refund. Of course, I'd have to pay shipping, I'm sure; but $10 is much less a loss than $100.[/QB]

You need to know one thing ahead of time. There is only OpenGL support in Windows 2000 and maybe XP. The software with the glasses, and the Nvidia Stereo drivers only work in Windows 98 or ME for full support of Direct3D and OpenGL.

Have fun!

Damn it, just checked ELSA's download site for latest drivers for when I get the card(this weekend I hope, still haven't been paid) and the W2K and WXP drivers don't support the glasses which is a bit of a bummer as I have NOT intention of going back to 98 or ME.

Ah well hopefully they'll get over this issue soon!(heres hoping)

• 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Remo:

Nvidia now has stereo-drivers available for Windows98/ME/2000/XP. They work even better than the older 98/ME only drivers...

Cheers

I'm there weres my credit card so I can order the glasses?

Damn I need a new HDD first(mine died the other day)

• 1 month later...

I know what you mean about the headaches LOL

The only way to take away the flicker is to have a monitor with a refresh rate of 100Hz, then its not noticable, but it still strains your eyes a bit.

Have you noticed how after you have used them for about 3 hours that you walk around the house noticing that everything is in 3D

Yeah I did when I first got them. It was funny driving the car after I had used them all night

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

I know what you mean about the headaches LOL

The only way to take away the flicker is to have a monitor with a refresh rate of 100Hz, then its not noticable, but it still strains your eyes a bit.

Have you noticed how after you have used them for about 3 hours that you walk around the house noticing that everything is in 3D

Yeah I did when I first got them. It was funny driving the car after I had used them all night

Heheh, I have my monitor set to 120hz when I use the glasses, and it still flickers, and gives me headaches, but I'm prone to them.

Yeah, I've noticed that stuff looks more 3D than normal after long use when you take them off. It's a pretty strange effect.

I used them most on the game Sin, which looked pretty good. Haven't pulled the things out to try with BCM yet. Soon maybe.

Idaho

• 9 months later...

I have tried this myself with a pair of 3d Stereo Glasses from E-Dimensional. The result is HOT, not only in the E1 and E2 Demos, but in the retail BCM also. Yes, I have the same 2D screens corruption too. But, I assume that Derek never designed BCM to work in Stereo Mode, so I have no complains.

I never did post my review after getting my e-dimensional glasses. They do make a difference, especially with the beam effects.

I don't have any headache problems. I started off with a low setting (around 30%) and then worked all the way up to 100% over time. I still tweak the settings during play sometimes.

I was getting strange lockups occasionally, which I attributed to my computer. I can't bring myself to play this game without the glasses anymore.