my experiences with the game

opt1k

Demo 2 runs perfectly on my pentium II 266 w/geforce 2 mx/ 328mb of ram on win2k

You can lower the minimum requirements a bit if you like

The first person bit when you exit the craft in the game engine needs a little bit of work if its going to be multiplayer

Other then that im having a great time learning how to play this in my spare time

its a little challenging for me but im getting used to it

Anyawy just some feedback for you, I do enjoy this game, its nothing like anything ive played before.

very uniqe, sort of reminds me of star crusader by take 2 interactive i used to play years ago on my 486 but its much more advanced.

Take a look at this.....

http://www.3000ad.com/products/bcm.shtml

Scroll down to where it shows minimum system requirements and you will see that the bare minimum processor is a PII 300 Mhz.

Personally, I run a PIII 1 Ghz machine and the planetary graphics slow to around 25 FPS, which is acceptable. I really don't see your machine as being capable of running the game adequately.

Time to upgrade maybe?

Yes ive seen it, thats why I made the comment

I assume im getting around 30-35fps

it does run smoothly for me, of course i did go into the nvidia display control panel and set my options to "best performance", disable verticle sync... etc... and it runs perfectly for me.

yeh a small loss of visual quality but not really noticable in most games.

Honestly i can run just about "ANYTHING" in 1024*768 16bit on this system,ad BCM fits in there perfectly.

Yes, it is time for an upgrade when I get some cash, but I havent yet come into a single game or program that would not run at acceptable speeds at 1024*768 for me.

So I dont know, maybe im just lucky and have some odd hardware configuration?

Something off the subject I would like to point out is how much performance difference in windows 98/ME/XP in comparrision to inside of linux, windows 95 (B), and nt 4(opengl), and well win2k...

in windows 95 b your framerates are VERY high compared to 98/ME/XP/2K, and in linux, well lets just say u cant compare the performance you get from running 3d games inside of that, its amazing.

if everyone still used windows 95 (or even nt 4) and microsoft didnt add useless bullshit to the operating system like the eye candy graphics effects, the integrated IE into taskbar thing, your performance would be alot better.

Why dont you try running windows 95 b (osr2) on your system, install updates and patches and compare the performance your getting right now to the performance in win95, besides win95 requires 8mb of ram, to run, what do the rest require? minimum of 64 to run efficiently, well xp requires 256 to run properly (from my experience)

That was just eating away at me, I had to get that out. sorry

quote:

Originally posted by opt1k:

Demo 2 runs perfectly on my pentium II 266 w/geforce 2 mx/ 328mb of ram on win2k

You can lower the minimum requirements a bit if you like

The first person bit when you exit the craft in the game engine needs a little bit of work if its going to be multiplayer

Other then that im having a great time learning how to play this in my spare time

its a little challenging for me but im getting used to it

Anyawy just some feedback for you, I do enjoy this game, its nothing like anything ive played before.

very uniqe, sort of reminds me of star crusader by take 2 interactive i used to play years ago on my 486 but its much more advanced.

If you do get the game before you upgrade, just make sure you stick to playing the Instant Action scenarios. Since they take place in a smaller galaxy, your system can probably handle it. Probably. You will NOT be able to enjoy the main game with those specs.

As for the fp in demo2, it wasn't the focus of the demo or you won't have space regions. Which is why you notion that it needs more work for multiplayer, is puzzling.

I run a 1GiG Athlon w/128MB PC133 w/ GForce2MX w/64MB on that. I run BCM at 1280x1060 perfectly smooth with all the extras turned on, its beautiful. Most games that I can use Open GL on, I can run at 1600x1200 and still pull 48-60fps, but D3D only games, I have usally run them at lower. I guess 1280x1060. But since I have gotton my new vid card, The E2 Demo has never looked this good period. I was running it a GForce2mx w/32MB Dual head on it (offbrand though).

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by opt1k:

in windows 95 b your framerates are VERY high compared to 98/ME/XP/2K, and in linux, well lets just say u cant compare the performance you get from running 3d games inside of that, its amazing.

if everyone still used windows 95 (or even nt 4) and microsoft didnt add useless bullshit to the operating system like the eye candy graphics effects, the integrated IE into taskbar thing, your performance would be alot better.

95? ick, worst stability.

if 95 is faster more than likely this is due to incomplete feature set in its drivers.

The eye candy is totally fine. Why not? if you can run bcm @ 1024x 768 maxed on features, you should not have a problem with a few animations

Plus, said eye candy is not present DURING BCM, so this can not slow BCM...