Config help

Ancharon

I'm having a bit of a problem with my joystick controls... In E2, when I move the joystick left to right, it rolls the ship instead of turning it, and it only turns if I twist the joystick, which is a pain to remember. I've tried most everything in the config menu to get it to the way I'm used to, but so far it doesn't seem to have worked.

Is this the way the joystick is supposed to work? It didn't do this for me in the E1 demo... Or is there a really easy way to change this I'm just missing? Any help would be...well, helpful for this [mostly clueless] newbie.

Oh, and if it's just some simple thing I'm missing, feel free to bash me for being stupid.

For some stupid reason when I use my joystick in Episode 2 it keeps turning left. Left, left left!

It's a good joystick, a CYBORG 3D USB. The only bad thing about it is you have to calibrate it 2-4 times whenever you start up the computer!

Well, It works fine in Ep 1 but not Ep 2. Does anyone know whats going on?

quote:

Originally posted by Evan Lysander:

For some stupid reason when I use my joystick in Episode 2 it keeps turning left. Left, left left!

It's a good joystick, a CYBORG 3D USB. The only bad thing about it is you have to calibrate it 2-4 times whenever you start up the computer!

Well, It works fine in Ep 1 but not Ep 2. Does anyone know whats going on?

I have the Gold version and it works fine.

My MS Sidewinder Precision Pro (digital one, but I use the game port instead of a USB port) does that same thing, except to the right. Couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong. Then, I looked at it from the Controllers thing in the Control Panel, and the twist axis was always rolling a little bit to the right the whole time. Yea, the little mechanisms that hold it in place are a little out of whack. (Springs or whatever it is; I don't really know or care.)

So I've had the joystick for more than a year and a few months. I'm heavy on the joystick. It figures out eventually that I'd screw something in it. My solution was just to either turn on auto pilot when flying straight lines, or hold hte joystick the whole time, trying to keep straight. (I haven't found a way to re-calibrate one of these digital-class joysticks, so that's out of the picture....)

Well, I'm gettin a new joystick for xmas this year. But I think that could clear up what's up with your joystick. The little mechanisms like I said. Ep1 isn't affected because the turning function is mapped to the Joystick's left-right (y-axis) instead of the roll (z-axis).

I could be totally wrong, but that's what's happened to me.

Nova, over and out.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

I've had that same problem, especially in Mechwarrior 4... My mech's torso would always be twisted a little to the left and would slowly continue to twist that way. I finally figured out that the point where the joystick is fully centered is a little more to the right, and it would fall to the left just a little if you let go of it (from heavy use or just a faulty stick, I dunno, but that's the case). I just recently saw the same thing happen in the E2 demo the other day, but it's easy enough to correct...

I reckon its a USB thing. Oh well, once my dad fixes my wingman warrior it won't really matter. My warriors's 5 years old, the roll and throttle no longer work and the stick has snapped inside somewhere so now the thing go nuts... not unlike myself . My dad's going to fix the inside again (this happened once before a year ago) and then i'll be set! I can dump this Crapborg 3D USB piece of garbage somewhere.

I posted on this in the general issues section (for my full version of BCM). The problem was resolved via reprogramming my stick (MS sidewinder force feedback pro). That appears to be the only solution so far...Looking for in game solutions as well, cause on planet, it's a little strange to use left/right yaw

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: Gomez ]