Universal Combat Demo

Supreme Cmdr

Due to development constraints, the demo won't be released until after the game ships (around the middle of November). So, expect a single and multi player demo around the end of November - at the very earliest.

Quoted from over here

quote:

OK, OK, kids, you can put down the foghorn now, I'm here and hear you loud and clear. If you have a question that hasn't already been answerd on the official 3000AD forum, by all means, post it here.

So far, I see questions about the demo. Quite simply, it was WIP when I abandoned it last week in favor of wrapping up the latest Beta so that we can meet our current ship date of mid-November for a Thanksgiving release. Because it is so close to the wire, focusing on a demo, releasing it, then dealing with support issues will distract me from what I really should be doing right now. That being : SHIPPING the game.

But never fear, as soon as you read that the game has done Gold, rest assured my attention will go toward finishing up the demo and releasing it. I have already gone through most of the demo details with Dreamcatcher and the demo will be using the same kernel that the gold version of the game ships with. I anticipate that the demo will appear within two weeks of the game going gold.

Like the BCM demo, the UC demo will have various play modes and even though Dreamcatcher opted to not do a multiplayer demo (time constraints), since the demo is coming out after the game goes Gold, there is a good chance that it will have a multiplayer component.

As you were

Works for me. I don't need the demo to know I'm buying it. If it means I get me grubby mitts on the full version sooner, then all the better!

I just hope we get it in England at the same time. I won't be able to stand coming here, reading about how good it is otherwise

I'm glad someone still cares about finishing a product, not just demos like so many big corporations. And no, I don't just say that because I preordered - which i did

I'm also delighted to see that UC is not that far away after all. When I look at what other companies produce in that timeframe...

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Alacard:

Well, I need the demo; just ordered online but it takes 5-7 days for free shipping

What has you needing the demo got to do with ordering the game online?

And there is a 99% chance that the demo will NOT be out this year. At all. As soon as the game goes Gold, I'm going on vacation.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Alacard:

Well, I need the demo; just ordered online but it takes 5-7 days for free shipping

What has you needing the demo got to do with ordering the game online?

And there is a 99% chance that the demo will NOT be out this year. At all. As soon as the game goes Gold, I'm going on vacation.

Exactly right, go on vacation, after 2 years of nothing but programming, debugging, rebuilding and releasing Universal Combat, vacation is exactly right.

They can wait for the fricking Demo, or cough up the $50 for UC.

I already know what I'll be doing.

quote:

As soon as the game goes Gold, I'm going on vacation.

Awww, man, keep the momentum up, the vacation can wait, what's a few more weeks of work ontop of all the effort you have put in to-date for this release? Once the demo is out, you'll not have that itch in the back of your mind telling you that you have a demo to publish when you get back. And so if you wait until the demo is out, and you're truely enjoying your vacation, and think, "man I could do with staying another week here" you'll be able to without any feelings of guilt or regrets.

But no matter what you choose to do, you've earned it.

Actually, two months ago, I suggested to DC that we split the demo into two or more parts (like I did with BCM); but they said no. Sure, I could have just gone ahead and done it anyway, but I opted not to. They want just one demo with everything in it. Go figure. Had we agreed on this, I would be releasing a space demo right about now.

• 3 weeks later...

Demos are great because they are free. If not for demos, I wouldn't own half the games I own now!

I always used to love those CDs that PC gamer puts out with all those demos. It really helps to select a good game, especially for the frugally-minded university student, selecting games based on a limited budget 'cause I blew all my money on....other things

But I'm getting UC whether or not there's a demo....if I can scrape together some money

(speaking of, is there a way I could get a free copy of the game simply for being so ultimately cool and good at computer games? )

• 2 months later...