leave of absence

Charles Lindsey

I'm surprised we don't already have a topic with this title but the search didn't turn anything up.

Long story short; I killed my old computer and the new one isn't complete yet.

It will be a few days before I have personal internet access. I will be at least be able to read from work during lunch. I try not to post and abuse my internet priveliges.

Long story long; For the longest time the old 'puter wouldn't scan disk. It would defrag then it would scandisk but wouldn't scandisk first. Then last week it finds an error in the registry and fixes that. It works for about a week then two days ago it goes nuts. I try everything I can think of but it's toast.

I think I might have another memory stick going bad so I switch them around to see if the "good" one will work well enough for me to fix the thing. I was about to the point of formatting c: and re-installing windows 98 . I turn it on and then nothing happens. I notice it's not quite as loud as it used to be so I look in the case and discover that in moving the memory I had laid a cable against the CPU fan and that burnt the processor up.

Now it's either buy another processor ~$40 @ pricewatch or upgrade the silly thing with a motherboard combo at about $60.

The new one needs a sound card to be complete. I bought the monitor for it last week. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz tht Derek has recommended was $79.99 at the local Comp USA. It's about $20 cheaper online. I'll have to wait a bit but that $20 can go towards a joystick.

I want the new one complete because I actually did have it up and running way back. But now it's going ot have a new monitor, sound card, and eventually a joystick. That may be too much addition for XP to handle without it going into "safety mode"(?). Plus I haven't run it in so long I have no idea what it's going to do.

I never registered my copy so I am thinking I may just format the hard drive and re-install it like new and register it that way.

So anyway if I don't show up for a few days this is why.

Charles

Good luck, Charles! I'm sure things will work out for you!

I went through something similar this past weekend. My "annual" upgrade turned into a nightmare, but after a day or so I was back in business.

Nope. Got the parts ordered. Ordered a sound card for the new one and a replacement processor for Jezebel. The processor shipped monday to I should have it tomorrow then I get to reformat the thing and see if that does anything. Hopefully it will then I can peddle it off when the new one works.

Cranking the new one up after being idle for so long should be interesting. I'm wondering what it will do.

We'll see what happens.

Jezebal has a pulse but not much else. Scandisk insisted on scanning so I let it. It found all the crosslinked files and seemed to be happy so I re-installed Win98. Heh, it installed over itself without wiping the hard drive. I coulda swore one of the Wins did that or asked first. Or maybe that's an oem restore disk. Oh well.

My digital camera software is toast as is Jasc paint shop, ICQ, realplayer, win media, and BCM. Out of all that AOL still works. I don't know whether to be impressed, disgusted, or feel lucky.

I'll dig around and see if there are any important files I can/need to save before I wipe it and start fresh. See ya'll on the other side of 1 ghz hopefully.

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda sorta but not really. Got the old one going again. Got internet access at the house again. Still ain't quite right but oh well.

Got the new one fired up. It had to activate but that was painless. Now I need a few drivers. I bought the mobo before XP came out. ughhh. I suppose I'll break down and put aol on it so I can download some stuff.