November Balor Fleet Chat

Charles Lindsey

hey,

had the day off, got some more playing done.

ok i confess i spent the better part of the day, other than when i went to the movies, playing Bridge Crossing.

this is so much fun...

if you have recently downloaded the newest AA..2.0 try this map. I like to defend.

i cant remember the last time i played a multiplayer game as intense as this, in this map when your the last man left on your team, and the enemy assaulting has one or two, and you have to hold the bridge and prevent them crossing, it gets very hectic and very nerve wracking...

quite a thrill.

dont make fun of that, its just me getting into a really nice multiplayer game in a while

quote:

I still watch Saturday morning Cartoons for crying out loud!

That's nothing, Charles, I'm 38 and still download Japanese Sentai and Tokusatsu like Kamen Rider 555, Granseizar and Live Action Sailor Moon to watch! I got a whole collection burned to CD!

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

im wondering how honour increases.

RTFM ok uncalled for but I couldn't resist.

Kill, don't get killed.

Achieve mission objectives.

Select squad leader for more points risk loosing more also.

Don't ever wound let alone kill a team mate.

Play on official server or honour servers flip side to this is to play on none official server to learn the maps / strategy without the risk of loosing honour.

You know the' re a few names they call players who take defence on bridge

but that's mainly the CS kiddies who don't understand what defence is tasked to do.

I prefer assault I die well.

I keep forgetting to tie the other end of the bungee cord to the bridge parapet and go splat quite often, but the real cause of falling off the bridge is that damn lag that 30 ping really sux big time

A good bunch of n00bs can fight off a cohesive assault if they communicate well you've got to know when to pull back!

[rp]

PC.G.A. meeting

[Pugwash] My names Pugwash I'm thirty(cough) and I'm addicted to multi player computer games

[Addict] Welcome Pugwash, how old are you I didn't quite catch that.

[Pugwash] OK, OK I'm forty.

[/rp]

haha, pretty funny.

at least im still 21...i doubt computer games will be so big when IM 40. more like holo games.

because by then geforce will run out of letters and numbers to use for there cards... the way they skip numbers.

i asked that thing about the honour, before i knew about having to play on off server.

i got to 11 yesterday played on an off server for a good bit. i want to get it up a bit, then back to unofficial.

in fact since playing, i have come across no whiners that say defense is camping. thats what i meant when i said this game is pure tactics, you cant just rush and shoot and jump around like fps games tfc and stuff...you gotta have cover and shoot from cover, just as though you were in the field, not run out in the open,

i usually run from diff vantage point to vantage point, i dont stick one place too long.

also ive seen when d teams camp, and assault teams so good still roll over them. the off server players are much better than the ones i was playing against. i was getting 5 kills or so a round, but when i switched over i was lucky to get one.

oh that m203 thing is crap, its like artillery, people shoot from one end of the map to the other, and have angles perfected for hitting certain places. nonsense

ok home from work now...time to play.

oh question,for a long time this has been bugging me.

does setting a page file higher improve performance? i havent really noticed a difference other than it might cause things to slow down.

for example, when i exit AA after a long stint, or even darkspace, it goes through this fairly long refresh time, i had my paging file set to 768. ive put it back to the recommended 384 now.

that refresh time and HD access on exiting is due to low resources and the ram all sucked up correct? my question is, is there anything i can do or set that will reduce it? i might not have the best settings set to reduce it.

since ive set the page file back 384 it seems to be faster on exiting...but ill try again.

next thing, the sound option of 64 channels requires more processing power and memory? or just pc power?

i plan on using this laptop another year so ill probably give it 512 ram or something...

i tried to edit my above msg but it wouldnt let me. said time elapsed.

but i wanted to add...

256 MB DDR SDRAM, PC2100 thats the ram in my laptop, kind of old and slow huh...ddr really isnt saying much, just a lil above single data rate... rdram looks nice, but i doubt my MB would take it.

for example that costs 59 u.s

whilst

256MB SDRAM, PC100 costs 149 u.s

whats the deal there?

For the third time this week I went home to find my power off; except this time it had taken my power supply with it. It was fine when I turned the puter off two nights ago. Oh, well.

So I'll be quiet for a couple days till I order one in. (can still read from work and sneak a post or two like this)

Cruis.In

updating to the latest HD (check DMA if available), grafix, sound, Mobo drivers is always a good thing.

I usually set the page file to 1.5 * the amount of memory installed.

Some recommend you fix the pagefile size rather than letting windows manage it. (if you have only 1 HD)

I tend to have the swap file on a smallish fast second drive along with all the temp, tmp etc directories nothing else installed or running on that drive.

Although its getting harder to get small HDs now also bit of a problem with a laptop which may not allow you to install a second HD

I don't go with the idea of having a small partition for you pagefile yes it reduces fragmentation but those read/write heads still has to move from one place on the disc to another while reading from the drive and writing to the pagefile.

check out for game tweaks

Update your HD to ATA 133 if your motherboard supports it, or faster spin speed 10000 , 15000 rpm larger buffer faster access time.

HD are relatively cheap now days and the technology has advanced.

Find your HD make and model number and check out the specification at the manufacturer web site.

check the HD drivers if you have an Intel chip set checkout Intel® ICH2 IDE storage driver (busmaster) they make a big difference over the standard MS ones and at one time were updated fairly frequently same applies to VIA and SIS use their latest drivers

If possible in Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controller > Primary IDE channel tick the box or select from the drop down menu to enable DMA.

Obviously updating drivers is the cheapest option the cost to you, your time and Internet connection cost.

how professional is that? i ordered ram late wednesday night, by early morning hours on thursday it shipped, and evening time it was in my country and out for delivery this friday morning, only thing i wasnt home for the delivery... so have to wait weekend...but still kudos for international shipping! go fedex!

Found a 400w power supply for $11 at pricewatch. Free shipping as well. Only thing is it's scheduled for delivery on the 28th. Ughhh. Oh well, the wait is worth the $30 I saved I suppose. Good thing I'll be off too because they have it set up for signature required.

I wonder what other single people do when they have shipments that need signed for?

Power supply came two days early. Yay. good thing I got off work early. Hooked it up and all the lights came on. And stayed on. And stayed on and nothing else happened. Ughhh it got the processor too. Fudge. Well I was gonna upgrade anyway. The only thing is, I usually like Pricewatch but motherboard combos are something else again. They advertise one price but when you go to the website they nickel and dime you to death with all the add ons. AND ordering over the holidays stinks because no one is going to be at work till tomorrow which throws delivery until next week even if they do get it out the door the same day. And we'll have fun fun fun till my daddy takes the tbird away.

Congrats, a two page chat. I think that's a first.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik.

Congrats, a two page chat. I think that's a first.

It would of been longer but Cruis.In and I spent four and a half hours talking on ICQ finding and installing drivers on his machine.

now that would of been allot of posts in this thread.

I've had friends help me like that before. It's always appreciated.

I quit counting my post count. It's up there and I post a good bit but at least I don't ooh and ahh over every single screenshot that comes out.