Know your role

Their are many fleets to join but we the indies, the mercs, the privateers chose to stay loyal to ourselves and choose our own destiny in the vastness of space. So what do you want to do when BCM comes out?

------------------

Commander Gene Starwind

UCV Outlaw Star

"You better get ready!"

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Their are many fleets to join but we the indies, the mercs, the privateers chose to stay loyal to ourselves and choose our own destiny in the vastness of space. So what do you want to do when BCM comes out?

.... I'd suggest trying to stay alive for one. However, that might not be all that easy when the only person you can count on is yourself. Tis a lonely life that of an Independant Contractor. Somthing to think about ... smile.gif

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Karl Savage

GCV - Tsunami, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet Leader, ORION FLEET

www.orionfleet.com

'Here cometh the storm!'

Can't recruit me with your fancy talk Blades wink.gif Nah, I suppose I am going to try to get a decent ship and start looking for some jobs smile.gif Ah the life of a merc, an exciting life it is.

Also, I am going to think up a theme song for myself, so I can sing it while I sit in a sector waiting for a certain bounty to fly through biggrin.gif

------------------

Commander Zeke Stone,

Mercenary

UCV-Susceptor - "Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."

Bah! Indies = more targets aside from the 'commie slime cool.gif

TTFN

------------------

Rear Admiral Gallion

ICV-Graf Spee, Spectre (Antis)

Executive Officer, Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Leader, Team 1

True, but as the fan base continues to grow, more and more people will want to become one of us and not be involved in all the politics of joining a fleet. The fleets live by their rules while we make our own. It's a big playground and we will always be there.

------------------

Commander Gene Starwind

UCV Outlaw Star

"You better get ready!"

quote:

The fleets live by their rules while we make our own.

Not totally true. Remember, the BC universe is a LIVING universe. If you break the laws, you'll find the law on your tail launching missiles in your direction. If you keep breaking the law, you lose any trust you may have, meaning, you won't be able to get a job anywhere. If you don't gain cash (assuming you survive, anyway), how do you plan on purchasing the radine that makes your ship go?

Think, man. You've already seemed to have alienated yourself from 3 separate fleets (Spectre, Orion, Wraith), covering both of the major alliances (GALCOM, Insurgent). Now, I don't know how far the GALCOMMIE fleets go when it comes to maintaining the same enemies, but if you make an enemy of ANY Insurgent fleet, you've got the entirety of the Insurgency on your back.

So, at the bare minimum, you've already hurt your ties to 7 fleets.

Good luck, merc. You'll be needing it.

------------------

Vice Admiral Michael Kristophers

ICV-Intrepid, Spectre (Antis)

Fleet Leader

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Leader, Team 1

Guest Shingen

Maybe it's my Elite, FE2 background, or maybe it's just that I'm a loner at heart, but I prefer to leave the politics to the politicians and relie instead on my piloting skills, my weapons and my wits. (..and if that doesn't work, a tactical withdrawal)

It's true there's alot to be said for the alliances within a fleet, but you also have to deal with a command structure, which invariably means you have to follow the orders of people over you, even if they have no clue as to what the hell's going on.. or blatantly incompetent, which can get you killed just as fast as going it alone and p*ssing-off the wrong people.

At least, on my own, if or when I'm reduced to atoms, I'll have no to blame but myself smile.gif

------------------

Commander Shingen

UCV Deathstrike

Assassin

"Death is inevitable, it's life that's uncertain"

[This message has been edited by Shingen (edited 03-15-2001).]

Shingen, that's logical. But then again, if you were to join an Insurgent fleet, you'd be amongst the most EXPERIENCED BC players there are. In fact, our fleets have more experience than ALL the GALCOM, EarthCOM, and registered mercs COMBINED.

My point is, you'd have competent people giving you orders, but by the same token, you'd have competent people watching your back.

Guest Shingen

I appreciate the sentiment, aramike, but maybe I'm just a cynic when it comes to fleets. The thought brings back memories of my old TW2002 days when I'd form/join a corporation then spend hours and hours building up the planets, colonizing, trading, getting all the citadels to level 6, only to have some screw-ball lamer 'member' come along and steal all the jump-capable planets, fighters, and credits, and leave me floating in a sector full of mines.. BOOM!

Besides, in a fleet, the player doesn't technically 'OWN' the craft he's flying/driving, it's owned by the fleet..and damn it, I just don't like taking orders! smile.gif

If I wanna spend the day trading deflector arrays from Earth to Polaris instead of patroling the Moon region for uppity Valkerie raiding parties, or if I feel like cloaking off of Galcomhq and striking the first BC I see, then as a indie, both options are my decision and mine alone..

In a game like BCM, the old adage applies: "Peace is that state where countries re-arm for war."

In BCM, I'll trade gold coin for red blood, and let slip the dogs of war!

------------------

Commander Shingen

UCV Deathstrike

Assassin

So long as my crew get's paid for their work, I'll join any cause cwm9.gif

but woe to those who skip out on one of my contracts.

------------------

Kenneth Dominik Caine:

Captain

Interceptor wing leader

Independant mercenary.

"Knowledge dispells fear, and you know nothing of me."

I just thought of something... what if we made our own 'mercenary code'...or something. It would help us stay alive longer, and give us reason to stick together when things get rough. cwm1.gif

------------------

Kenneth Dominik Caine:

Captain

Interceptor wing leader

Independant mercenary.

"Knowledge dispells fear, and you know nothing of me."

Guest Shingen

That fact that one is independant doesn't exclude the option for personal alliances/cooperation, but to mandate a 'code' I think, defeats the whole purpose of being independant.

..and I think common sense dictates it's own code.. ie: betray too many people, step on too many toes, and you'll end up metal debris floating in a vacuum.. with no one who cares, except for the contents of your remaining cargo-pod.

One thing is certain, in BCM a whole lotta indies will be allied with a whole lot of other indies, just like with the fleets.. and they'll be warring just the same.

politics. bloodshed. carnage...the life of a BCM commander!

Bring on the BCM!

------------------

Commander Shingen

UCV Deathstrike

Assassin

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

if you make an enemy of ANY Insurgent fleet, you've got the entirety of the Insurgency on your back.

Oh no big scarry Insurgent ships are after me. well I'll just run straght to Galcom, I think that they would rather take out the insurgent fleet than bother with one little Merc, or a petty crimnal, or a lone trader that cut the insurgents a bad deal.

I know im definetely going to have an Assassin character. Nothing like flying around in a small ship & sniping stuff on the ground. cwm35.gif

"Think, man. You've already seemed to have alienated yourself from 3 separate fleets (Spectre, Orion, Wraith), covering both of the major alliances (GALCOM, Insurgent). Now, I don't know how far the GALCOMMIE fleets go when it comes to maintaining the same enemies, but if you make an enemy of ANY Insurgent fleet, you've got the entirety of the Insurgency on your back"

Well aramike, whatever he does in the BC universe will be on his hands. I believe that if anyone does repeated criminal acts against Galcom/Earthcom that person will show up as red on any galcom/earthcom vessel and be attacked regardless. I dont think there will be a different threat/tension setting for each fleet, as they all are part of a bigger unit (Galcom/Earthcom/Gammulan/Insurgent)

Its interesting to see all these schemes the insurgent rabble resort to in order to get more bodies to fill those bodybags in Galcom's storehouses. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 03-18-2001).]

What we need now is Gammulan military. Not seen anyone with the real big baddy, worse than insurgents.

C'mon, we need targets!

Something tells me the merc caste will be very popular. Do not forget: you're not playing WC privateer, you're playing BCM.

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

GCV - StalkerIV, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

Guest Shingen

kewl! I didn't realize players could be anything but 'terran'... me'thinks my DNA might be a'changin`!! cwm23.gif

------------------

Commander Shingen

UCV Deathstrike

Assassin

Guest Shingen

Hey, if I'm the first player to register as gammulan, does that mean I get to play as Darien Mane (or at least the human equivelent).. heheheheh

..too bad the SC won't allow for Gammulan fleets.. I might reconsider my fleet stance if I could be a founder of a Gam fleet! cwm13.gif

oh.. how would one go about changin' their race, in the player profile? Do I have to re-register???

------------------

Commander Shingen

UCV Deathstrike

Assassin

[This message has been edited by Shingen (edited 03-19-2001).]

Credians are also humans enemies. People can also be Credians.

Credians are explorers, (as related to the manual), so I may suppose proulsion systems could be cheaper?

Being a Credian gives you also the advantage of being closer to the Terran quadrant.

PLAYERS REMEBER THIS: YOU CAN BE ANY RACE, ANY CASTE OF THE GALAXY. Diversity is based on it.

I almost considered joining Orion as an Empirian! biggrin.gif

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

GCV - StalkerIV, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

The only three people I see registered in the Fleet DB are registered as Terran Military.

Shingen, if you wish to register as Gammulan do so. That will be your choice forever though. However I do not see you registered as of yet. Make your choice carefully.

A word of warning to everyone. You should always register with the same username to anything on this board. That way CAT members, Admins, and Fleet Leaders can recognize you right away if you have posted enough to be in our memory. Not a reprimand, just a helpful hint to all of you and it is one of the operating procedures of this board.

This is geared towards you Shingen. There is no Shingen in the Fleet DB as of the time I am viewing it.

------------------

Vice Admiral Chavik

ICV Phoenix, Sygan Starstation (Sygan)

Fleet Leader - Balor Fleet

Official BC3K Tester

Guest Shingen

I registered as terran/assassin... a few weeks ago. (note: see signature)

Charles, are we looking at the same fleet DB?

There are 3 cmdr's listed as assassin, I'm one of them.. what I wanted to know, is if I could change my race or if it's already set in stone... and if it has any permanance/relevence in BCM... or is it just for RP purposes

------------------

Commander Shingen

UCV Deathstrike

Assassin

[This message has been edited by Shingen (edited 03-20-2001).]

I thought you had not yet been approved. I had been looking at the application page. You're there. Same DB. smile.gif

For now it is for roleplaying purposes but later your stats will updated as you play on official multiplay servers.

Changing races or castes is prohibited at this time.

------------------

Vice Admiral Chavik

ICV Phoenix, Sygan Starstation (Sygan)

Fleet Leader - Balor Fleet

Official BC3K Tester