UCVs and Fleets

I'm trying to get some stuff written up for any newbies thinking about becoming UCV commanders here. I want the UCV sector to have some sort of Foundation that makes us at least look like a good group. The fleets are all organized, and we need to be also. There really wasn't much written in any game documentation, so I searched the Forums......

Here's what I came up with. There aren't many timestamps on the quotes, and I can't find the original messages, but here goes....

Excerpt from: Fleet Related Discussions -> UCV governing rules

Posted: 03-02-2000 06:58 by: SpcFX

This is a snip of the thread that started the UCV designation

quote:

At any rate, in light of these developments, you are now stripped of your GALCOM designation. Please remove the GCV tag from your sig. Since we don't know where you are, I guess you can keep the ship but you are neither GCV nor ECV or even ICV designation. You should use the UCV (Unregistered Command Vessel) tag from now on. That is my ruling.

So, next time you post, you should be using

UCV-DARK RIFT (Raider) in your sig. You can change the caste to anything you like (other than GALCOM, Earthcom, Military, Insurgent, Diplomat, Police) I only used Raider as an example. There is a new Mercenary caste in BC:3020AD anyway, so, you can use that now if you like.

Yes, I just made that whole UCV thing up as I was typing it and have updated the BC:3020AD manuscript accordingly. Anyone not belonging to a fleet, can use this and select any caste they like. You will be able to do the same thing in multiplayer anyway.

Supreme Commander D. Smart

GCV-Warmonger

GALCOM First Fleet

------

And until BC:3020AD is released, there won't be any new fleets or race/castes created. Any commander not belonging to a registered fleet should use the UCV designation until further notice.

Once BC:3020AD+mp are out, I will have a dedicated and redesigned fleet page here.

The BC3K universe is not a free for all. I will later allow the creation of new fleets but with specific designations, rules etc which augment what DeSylva already has. So, if MechWarrior wants to create a Raider Fleet (he won't be allowed to), he will have to demonstrate leadership etc.

In fact, now that I think about it, for new official fleets, I will list them all, including the allowed race/caste affiliations, have people enroll and then pick a leader based on some criteria that I will cook up in my sleep.

All the fleet leaders here, did not spring up over night. They are dedicated vets who know the game and its universe inside out. They are leaders. It would be insulting to have some upstart just spring up overnight and form a fleet.

All the fleet leaders here are official testers and therefore, I will work with them in constructing a criteria for creating new fleets, assigning stations, wings etc, when the time comes. For now, DeSylva, Spcfx, Akira, Tac etc, why don't you guys send me a proposal for the new fleets with a diverse selection of race/caste affiliations?

----

Also, the term clan, is hereby outlawed in this universe. Fleets, Squadrons and Wings, are the norm and this is the structure that should be used.

(End Excerpt)

Okay. Now I'm wondering hwo the "fleet" system compares to a caste like the Police or even Mercenaries. There IS supposedly a rank of "Fleet Leader" in the Fleet DB (Commander O'Hara, Police Caste; he's also an admin).

I'm also wondering how the Secure Fleet Access servers will work (if the SFA's are still go) with UCV's. I remember reading the Fleet FAQ, and it saying this:

quote:

The registered fleets are by invitation only as well as the 3000AD controlled, Secure Fleet Access servers (64 players). Therefore, we keep a tight control over who plays on our servers. These servers are quite different from public servers (16 players), setup by other players. For this reason, if you join a fleet and it is determined that you are not a player willing to play by the rules, you will get ejected from the fleet and the server.

Whatever career, asset, launch base or mission zone that you are given on an SFA server or via the Fleet Database, are those that you should always use, unless otherwise changed by your leader. Example, you could be playing as a Terran Military Commander, in charge of a Battlecruiser, running Intel in a mission zone deep in enemy territory. If you are notified that the game in progress uses SFA rules (eg your in-game selection should match your Fleet Database settings), then you must adhere to these rules and select those options when entering the game. So, if you decide that you're being beaten up too much on the front lines, you could request a transfer while on the SFA server or offline via email to your leaders, who will then make the decision. By the same token, you can't pick an elite force marine career, and then all of a sudden, decide that you want to be a carrier commander. In multiplayer, each side a set amount of resources. So, if a fleet only has 4 carriers, it is up to the leaders to give those advanced assets to the most deserving commanders, during the course of a career. Unlike public servers, SFA servers are persistent. This means that the server is on 24-7 and if you log off, your stats are saved on the server and restored when you log back on. This prevents you from changing profiles in midstream, without authorization.

Also, FSA stats are fed directly into the Fleet Database server, so that you can keep track of your career. The number of times your character is killed on the server, also determines your ranking and scores.

Since BCM is not expected to be released with multiplayer, I'm wondering if the information is still good. I'm also curious as to how a UCV would actually get in, because we would need a "Fleet Commander" to select our assets, and such. If O'Hara truly is the ranking character here for us UCV's, he should show up soon. I'm not sure what his Fourm Username actually is, either. If anything is to happen here, we need an active member to lead us.

Does anyone know how to contact O'Hara? Or even at least tell if he's still active or not?

I haven't had time to contact him via ICQ (his number is on his profile page). I'll attempt communication soon.

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

So, that's the history of the UCV designation. Uh, the quote from SC says this:

quote:

That is my ruling. So, next time you post, you should be using UCV-DARK RIFT (Raider) in your sig. You can change the caste to anything you like (other than GALCOM, Earthcom, Military, Insurgent, Diplomat, Police)

What did he mean other than GALCOM, Earthcom, Military, Insurgent, Diplomat, Police? Aren't the Diplomats and Police caste characters UCV also? I know this is all outdated, but I can't find the originating thread, so I can't prove any of my assumptions. Some clarification would help.

Also, I especially need help getting in contact w/O'Hara. It seems like me and Spuzzum are the only active cops here. The search for our leader begins.......

That was a good search Nova.

Now if you could just find the one where Derek said what UCV groups would be called.

First a gripe. If you are going to post into two forums please make your posts identical. Some variances allowed for the specific forum of course. Or at Least reference the other thread in each.

I am talking about where you mention in the "other" thread wanting to choose your asset at will. That was the other post but your questions are answered right here in your own quotes.

The fleet database page is supposed to be used for multiplay. It will collect stats on the profile you provided while you play on an SFA server. The assets you want to select are the ones you chose when you signed up for the fleet database. You are stuck with them.

Hopefully question answered and gripe over.

quote:

There IS supposedly a rank of "Fleet Leader" in the Fleet DB

Unfortunately the fleet database has the same format for each page. Please don't be confused by this. You just need someone in authority. What are you asking here? You went directly to a quote.

snip old quote

new question quoted

quote:

, I'm wondering if the information is still good. I'm also curious as to how a UCV would actually get in, because we would need a "Fleet Commander" to select our assets, and such.

The info is gold until Derek changes his mind. As for assets read above. You are stuck with what you chose.

quote:

If anything is to happen here, we need an active member to lead us.

What do you an active member for? What do you want to happen?

quote:

The assets you want to select are the ones you chose when you signed up for the fleet database. You are stuck with them.

And if you don't have any? No, in fact, you cannot even choose your asset when you register, only admins can assign people to ships. Okay, that's alright for fleeters (FC get to decide), but what about UCVs? How do they officially get assigned a vessel?

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

And if you don't have any? No, in fact, you cannot even choose your asset when you register, only admins can assign people to ships. Okay, that's alright for fleeters (FC get to decide), but what about UCVs? How do they officially get assigned a vessel?

I just chose an asset for my first signature and nobody complained about it, so I guess (at least for a trader) the choice is so limited that nobody would ever question/deny your choice.

Knowing that my application to the fleet-db was processed by aramike, it's probably him who would assign an asset.

Ok, so you guys want a board representative with fleet leader type control of the fleet database. Fair request in my opinion.

In the meantime Mike can or I can adjust things. Thomas Siemens or LordDavid can. Any CAT member should be able to do it or any fleet leader.

Double check the assets page and all that.

Maybe it is time to go back up to fleet Related discussions. Maybe General.

Who'd a thunk? An Indie rights thread.

Hehe, sorry can't help it. I can just see all of you demonstrating out in front of the UFN building.

I do want to help though.

I could imagine it too.

[RP]

"We want military soldiers to be forced to protect us diplomats!"

Then the police designates chime in. "And we want more power to the police!"

The raider designates look at them. "We don't want more power for you! We want uncontested territory for traders to fly through!"

The traders look at the raiders in fury. "You do that, and we'll RAM you!"

The workers and colonists look appalled. "Do you have any idea how much a starship costs?"

A commercial shipper looks up. "About a 1.24 million Galcreds."

The mercenaries yell back at everyone. "Shut up! Everyone, just shut up!"

The assassin nudges the mercenary designates. "That can be arranged."

A GALCOM commander steps out. "Geez, don't you people have anything better to do?"

[/RP]

quote:

The registered fleets are by invitation only as well as the 3000AD controlled, Secure Fleet Access servers (64 players). Therefore, we keep a tight control over who plays on our servers. These servers are quite different from public servers (16 players), setup by other players. For this reason, if you join a fleet and it is determined that you are not a player willing to play by the rules, you will get ejected from the fleet and the server.

The first line says "The registered fleets are by invitation only as well as the 3000AD controlled, Secure Fleet Access servers". Does that mean that we can only get in from invitation? By who? Our "Fleet Leader"? Something I wanted to bring up.

Also, regarding O'Hara, he hasn't responded to emails. I just guess he was an admin who just happened to change his Fleet DB Profile to say "Fleet Leader".

To see the page regarding that, Click Here. Check the part where it says "Group: Police". It says "(fleet leader)" right after the word police.

And here is what we mean by choosing our assets:

We can select our Asset Name, but cannot select our Asset Type.

For example, my ship is named the White Eagle, but I want it to be a Space Star Super Cruiser, but I cannot add the Asset Type, by myself.

The above also applies to Launch Bases and Mission Zones, as well, in the Fleet DB.

asset type: Yes I see that now. I double checked last night.

Invitation only: That's just the approval process. Checking valid email and all that. Got one guy been registering with variations on a humans nether region and the products it produces. Needless to say he won't be invited. Those who are approved will be able to play on bc servers. Including you guys if I understand things correctly.

Fleet Leader: Have no idea why it says that. That page he is "fleet leader" but if you dig down to the police page he is Admin status. That's all you need is an Admin status or really just fleet leader status. Even though you guys don't have a fleet or a fleet leader that is the level of security your rep would need. That's what I was getting at before.

If he won't answer emails perhaps he has gotten busy like a lot of us are and no longer has time to update the database.

So anyway, state again what you want. What I see is this.

Someone who can assign the assets you choose. This will most likely be a board rep. Plus the same rules that fleets have will apply to you. Once you choose an asset it will be locked.

Possibly someone who will write a fleet bulletin explaining who the independents are and what ya'll do.

Aramike is one of the named moderators of this forum. Maybe he will have an idea as well.

Launch base: Yeah guess you would need one of those.

Mission zone: Maybe. Since you are independent you wouldn't have a mission zone if in space. You can do what you want. Just leave it blank.

Anything else?

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Charles Lindsey ]

Alright. Nah, no more is needed. Well, thanks Chavs, for the quick reply, and the great clarifications.

Now I can't wait for multiplayer! I'll be busting all the big criminals, and I'll be rich and famous! (Okay, maybe not that far, but maybe in the distant future )

Well, I don't know. That about covers it for me for now. If I notice anything else, I'll holler.

How about you guys? Any other stuff us indies need?

I'd like some representation, but I think we already have that covered. We now gained in numbers drastically, so I think we are represented in the way we go about the RP's and the other parts of the forums. Keep it up guys. We are the face of the Indies. It's up to us to attract newbies. And we DO want more members. Hopefully with the advent of multiplayer, we will succeed.

OK, guys, for now, just contact me when you need something done. I'll take care of everything regarding representation, etc., for now at least. It doesn't make sense to name a merc leader, really. However, at some point, we may want to discuss giving one of you guys control of at least the database issues.

However, that doesn't seem very urgent right now, so we'll discuss it later, I think.

Hi eveyone! I'm an absolute newbie both to this forum and the game in general. From what I've seen so far I think I have finally found the place and the game I've been looking for. I am very interested in becoming an Indie though I have quite a few questions on various different subjects. Where are some good places to look at the technical aspects of the available races/castes/ships and available technology? I am interested in playing a Syrion, though I'm not sure what caste to play (or what caste I can play). I've got a great idea for a character kinda a cross between a merc and a trader. If you don't want to clutter up this board my email addy is [email protected] Big cheers to everyone involved with this game!

L8ERZ ALL!!!

Malleus, you've come to the right place. I've been helping other indies, such as myself, learn about the game, and the many aspects to the BattleCruiser Universe. (Without the using as much Propaganda as those fleets.... Glad you decided to go UCV before posting )

The first steps would be to download the manual and appendix to the original BattleCruiser 3000ad. You can find the download page here. That should get you off on the right foot, to learn about the basis of the universe, the different alien races, the castes, and political organizations of the universe. Also, a zip file containing some misc craft pix and the ship specs readme from the Demo of BCM is located here.

I also would suggest you downloading the Demo(s) for BattleCruiser: Milennium, which is slated for release later this summer, and possibly the freeware version of BC3K--the game that started it all. This is good to get a feel for the game's dynamics, and how to actually play (I suggest the freeware first, then the BCM demo). You obviously have to read the manual first.

I'll put you on my AOL Buddy List. Just give me a holler sometime (AOL ScreenName: HTMLjedi), if you need anything else, or you can go to the Fleet Related Discussions, or General Discussions, and ask questions there (use the forum groupings respectively). There are a lot more people with much more experience than I, around here. Ask, and thy question shall be answered.

Well, see ya all later.

(Yess! Us Indies are starting to catch up to the Fleets, by population..... )

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Let me answer some of those questions, as well.

Your castes choices are as follows:

Military, EarthCom, Insurgent, Explorer, Police, Scientist, Raider, Assassin, Diplomat, Mercenary, Paramedic, Trader, and Commercial.

What each of those castes does, is located in the caste appendix for BC3K.

--

You were talking about making up a character? Are you thinking about joining our ongoing RP stories? This is a great way to make some allies (and enemies), out here in our online community. It's basically a forum where people write stories (some long and epic, others short and just for fun), where others participate with their characters. For more information, you should ask the good guys down at the RPG Discussion forum for some of the lowdown on it. Don't be afraid to ask. Just make a new topic, and ask what you want in clear sentences (there are people who have trouble doing that here....).

Once again, good luck, Malleus!

Guest Whitewing

Wooohoo! Looks like I have found my place as well! Some of the most fun I ever had was playing the WC: Privateer series. Those games will not even scratch the surface of GCO, or BC:M for that matter.

As for role playing, it seems to thrive here. I like that! I have spent the last couple of years playing EQ, so roleplaying is no stranger to me. Looks like I have some homework to do yet before I pick a race, but there is definately a new merc lurking about! Just be sure you stay on the good side of my gunsights or.... have a fist full of credit!

I am barely able to contain my anticipation for BC:M and GCO. I have yet to even bother finishing any of the EP2 missions. That's what makes it so damn cool. I just go wandering, find something to do and do it. Not having to do anything is such a treat!! Well, that and still learning how to manage all the info coming at me. I sure wish I had found BC3K a year ago! So much catching up to do! lol

On another note, does anyone use the Saitek joystick/throttle system? More to the point, has anyone made a profile for BC3K/BC:M? Seems like such a waste of all the cool buttons and knobs not to use em!

Excerpt from the GCO FAQ:

Q. WHAT PLAY CHOICES WILL I HAVE?

A. You have all the play choices present in BCM, and much more. Here are the races, castes and careers that you can play:

Alien Races: Terran, Syrion, Kandorian, Empirian, Vesperon, Droidan, Falkerie, Mandorian, Gammulan, Zelon, Valkerie,

Credian.

Castes: Earthcom, Insurgent, Military, Explorer, Colonist, Scientist, Raider, Police, Assassin, Diplomat, Mercenary,

Paramedic, Criminal, Trader, Hacker, Journalist, Tourist.

Careers: Commander, Elite Force Pilot, Planetary Support Pilot, Elite Force Marine, Mobile Infantry Marine, Space Force

Marine.

Choose wisely, especially if you're registering in the Fleet DB anytime soon. You won't be able to change certain aspects of your character, once you initialy register.........

For example, I'm a Terran/Police/Commander.

Hows it? after reading the forums for a little bit and discovering that all the fleets liked to do is show off all there gittering medals.

I have desided to become a merc or a cop but don't know which. ah so many choices...I love it!

Hey, has this become a "CALLING ALL NEWBIES!!" thread? Lol, well, I'm glad I stirred up some people into joining, and got some newbies into our indie population.

Jigoku, choose wisely (as I've said over, and over). But remember that not all Mercenaries are bad, and there's more to being a cop that just your regular traffic violations.....

Either way you can't go wrong.

---

Here's some fun:

Meet the RP tags. They're there to make sure everyone remembers that we're just playing around, and it's just for the Role Playing we do in the RP forum.

[rp]

And your wrong about the fleets only wanting to show off. At least they're handling the Gammulans, so us Indies won't have to....

[/rp]

Check out the RP forum. We could always use a few good heads around those parts. It's a good thing to do, if you're waiting for BCM to come out, or whenever. Come by, and see the cools stories we've written, and RP'd in. And if you don't want to participate, at least read them. They're full of unofficial (notice the bolding) history, and RP was the original reason why the fleets were formed.

You definitely won't be disappointed. It's like volumes in an epic series of novels. And the stories keep coming.

HEAD DOWN TO THE RPG DISCUSSION FORUM FOR MORE INFORMATION.

---

Alright, if you're in BC for multiplayer, I recommend you download BC3K, the new Free Full Version, and the 2 BCM Demos and the extra missions for the Episode 2 demo. Also, read (or at least look over, or skim) the manuals, readme's, FAQ's, and the BCM ship specs guide; all of which are included in the demos. Then PLAY YOUR HEART OUT until you get a feel for the game. Post any questions on any of the appropriate boards (BCM Demo Discussion, BC Legacy Discussions), if you need future assistance.

If you want the RP experience as well, follow the above, and you should read the timeline, by DeSylva (one of the original members of this forum), and some of the older stories at the RPG Discussion Forum. I have a guide on which stories to read and links for them, which was posted in another forum; I'll post them here in a bit.

---

Good luck you newbs, you really need to get those downloads done (and the 2 demos and 1 free version all are over 80mb each), so you can at least learn about what's goin on!

This is Commander Nova, over and out.

quote:

Originally posted by Jigoku San:

Hows it? after reading the forums for a little bit and discovering that all the fleets liked to do is show off all there gittering medals.

I have desided to become a merc or a cop but don't know which. ah so many choices...I love it!

Ah, yes. You must be speaking of Orion Fleet. Fair 'nuff.