Organization

quote:

Trust is something that is earned. And it will be much harder to earn that trust as a merc. I just want everyone to know that you can trust a merc.

quote:

Just try to convince everyone else to do the same.

That is what I have been saying. No need for rules. Your reputation will precede you. We are talking about the main servers correct?

Irregardless of the banter and chest thumping in a lot of posts on this forum I want you guys here. Everyone wants you here. It would be a boring universe without you.

Aramike?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for one I'm not talking about any sort of organization. I'm not ruling out joining one, or even starting one for that matter. But what I was saying with the now infamous "mercs code of honor" is that irregardless of any guild associations we mercs do need to police our own and take "care" of any mercs that are causing problems, reputation wise for the rest of us.

Thank you finally someone agrees with me.

That's the whole point that I'm been trying to explain and your clear concise wording would be the gist of this entire thread.

We need someone of our own to police our actions. Not the SC not the other administrators or what not, but us by ourselves.

quote:

That is what I have been saying. No need for rules. Your reputation will precede you. We are talking about the main servers correct?

Irregardless of the banter and chest thumping in a lot of posts on this forum I want you guys here. Everyone wants you here. It would be a boring universe without you.

Aramike?

Agreed.

As far a code of honor is concerned, knock yourselves silly with it. Just don't expect anyone else to believe in it.

quote:

Thank you finally someone agrees with me.

That's the whole point that I'm been trying to explain and your clear concise wording would be the gist of this entire thread.

We need someone of our own to police our actions. Not the SC not the other administrators or what not, but us by ourselves.

I think you missed the point. You all can police each other however you want - that doesn't concern me.

However, there will be NO AUTHORITY that is in charge of policing mercs, PERIOD. If you all think that someone is ruining your reputation, deal with it however you want. But there will NOT be a council that decides for whom the hammer drops.

This is what I have a problem with:

quote:

We need someone of our own to police our actions.

The way I see it, you'd all be policing each other by common consent, not through an authority. That's what I think Malleus meant, too.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: aramike ]

Okay seems like the only UCV Mercs interested in having their say are Malleus & Jigoku even though I have taken the initiative to email all the other registered mercs so that they can put in their two cents worth.

So let’s continue with this forming of guilds.

First of, it’s seems like the general public consensus is that we should set up an informal GUILD/CORPORATION and even though Nova and various others have tried their very best, there has been a severe lack of interest.

Therefore, I’m calling out to all traders, assassins, mercenaries to team up in setting up a pioneering CORPORATION. Well many thanks to Nova for his suggestionsso these are some of the things we need to do:-

1) Come up with a name for the CORPORATION;

2) Appoint a chairman so that all volunteers and interested parties can contact easily. Malleus, you up to it?;

3) Organise and establish a web site for the CORPORATION by delegating to all volunteers;

4) Decide on how the CORPORATION will be used for MP and how it will work in MP and CGO;

5) Establish a presence by creating a new history for the CORPORATION in RP;

That’s all that I can think of now.

Anything else guys & gals?

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Jeffery Eu:

Therefore, I’m calling out to all traders, assassins, mercenaries to team up in setting up a pioneering CORPORATION.

I'll try to set up a trading corporation (conform the rules set out by Nova), but will take me some time to get everything into place.

Zlany, still around to help me?

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

quote:

.......and even though Nova and various others have tried their very best, there has been a severe lack of interest.

It wasn't as bad as you say. There just weren't enough folks at the time. That's why soon after, I was picking up newbies by the handful, and increasing the population of the Indies. The Indies have matured enough, and have enough people, and I'm sure that you guys can get down to the work now.

---

Finally, at least you're getting down to setting up shop! Well, I'm sure I've set you off on the right foot. If you have anymore problems, feel free to tell me. I'm still watching you all, and I'll gladly help if you ask. Good luck.

Alright!!

CALLING ALL INDEPENDANT COMMANDERS

I'm gonna try and start up a new corporation/guild called the Intercorp Unlimited

Basically what this is corporation/guild will be is an all-in-one corporation/guild whereby potential clients can shop for all kinds of services just like a supermarket. Mail me and post on this thread if your interested and also if you can offer your assistance and services in setting this guild up. Will be putting some more information as soon as I figure out what to do and how to squeeze in the time.

Main things currently being figured out:-

1) CORPORATION/GUILD CHARTER

2) CORPORATION GUILD BADGE/LOGO

3) HOW WE FIT IN THE BC UNIVERSE BOTH MP & RP

I sincerely hope that you guys will turn up and join in the fun of organising one of the first corporations/guilds in the BC universe.

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I want to wait until I understand the game and universe a little better. But a few things I thought of:

1) Each caste should probably have it's own group. That way way potential conflicts are kept to a minimum.

2) It should have a founding group of at least five members before anything else. With a guild or corp there should be a "Board of Directors" That way (with 5 original members you have a good voting block.

3) A base should be set as at a station or base that is only caste specific.

4) We should find out and post some monetary standards so we know how to figure out how much dues and such should be.

That's all for now, but I'd be happy to help anyone along in the establishment as best as I can. That goes for even groups that I won't be part of.

To bad there isn't a Consultant caste, LOL

quote:

To bad there isn't a Consultant caste, LOL

That be Aramike.

Seriously, now we're talking.

A few things that I want to endorse and give input on:

• Malleus was right: you should separate it by caste. Like corporate divisions or something of that effect.

• Malleus was also right about a founders group. There should be no single person in charge of this corporation.

• Members of your corporation should have NO obligation to take jobs offered to them. Doing so would make those jobs too much like "orders", and the corporation too much like a "fleet".

• The corporation cannot engage in ANY corporate-wide hostilities against ANY alliance, fleet, or nation. Again, that would make it like a government or a military fleet.

• The corporation would have to operate as a separate entity from each of its members. In other words, let's say that a fleet owes the corporation money, and does not want to pay. Well, you CAN choose to take it out of their ass, but you must PAY your mercs to do so.

• Each division of the corporation would merely be for assigning tasks and collecting the commission revenue from the personnel that carried out the tasks. Each division will have no actual authority over its personnel and cannot assign or order them around.

In other words, I see such a corporation as one that would be a one-stop-shop for services. To me, the business model that works best in the BC universe would be something similar to as follows:

Let's say I need a merc to perform an operation for my fleet. I would then pay the corporation the going rate for such operations. At that time, the corporation would pay one of its assets to perform the operation, and the corp would get its cut.

Now, I see no problem with the corporation actually owning such assets as transports that have no military capabilities. We just have to make sure that the corporation has NO military capability itself. Sure, if it wants to perform a military operation against another military organization it can -- but it would have to hire the people to do so.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if I'm a little late here, but I had to rely on the library's 'puter until I get mine up and running. This idea was discussed before and I'd like to see where it will take us. C'mon indies! Were here to stay and one day we'll b only popular caste here!

aramike, what about money? Seeing that I can't get BC3K to run right on my machine, and I don't have an internet connection worthwhile enough to download the BCM demo

(not to mention it probably wouldn't run on it anyway) How does money work out? Cost wise for products and such? Second, would a corporation be able to get a discount on supplies? Just a few thoughts.

quote:

Originally posted by Malleus Malefictorum:

aramike, what about money? Seeing that I can't get BC3K to run right on my machine, and I don't have an internet connection worthwhile enough to download the BCM demo

(not to mention it probably wouldn't run on it anyway) How does money work out? Cost wise for products and such? Second, would a corporation be able to get a discount on supplies? Just a few thoughts.

Honestly, until GCO comes out no one knows how money will be handled. You'll probably pay the same as everyone else, though. The difference is, you guys will have a steady influx of business by which to make cash. Plus, you could easily assign your transport guys to the more lucrative trading routes.

SO your saying this corperation would be kinda like a big gas station. you could stop in maybe get your ship fixed up a little or buy some weapons. then see about getting a contract from the corperation.

(of course this is implying the corp had its own station.)

and if you didn't like the cut the corp took you wouldn't have to be with tehn and go it solo.

It would make it much easyer finding a contract for new enterprising indies, rather than huntting for a long time looking for a contract they can go to the corp and pickup one. and once, say a merc, gains respect tehy may not need the guild all the time for there contract becouse ppl will seek them out.

If thats what your trying to say, I like it.

Power to Indie Guilds/Corps!

quote:

Originally posted by aramike:

Malleus was right: you should separate it by caste. Like corporate divisions or something of that effect.

True, but something is to be said for creating a mixed caste corporation when not enough people of one caste are prepared to set up a caste specific corporation.

Having said that, as soon as enough people of one caste are part of this mixed corporation they _must_ separate and create one of their own. This way a new commander can be part of a corporation more quickly.

This way the mixed corporation would be a breeding ground for caste specific corporations. It would always remain rather small because when, for instance, the number of mercs grows to 5, then they would leave and setup show elsewhere.

Just a thought though...

quote:

Now, I see no problem with the corporation actually owning such assets as transports that have no military capabilities. We just have to make sure that the corporation has NO military capability itself. Sure, if it wants to perform a military operation against another military organization it can -- but it would have to hire the people to do so.

Unless this military capabilities are focused on defending their station. I guess be no military capabilities you mean spaceships?

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

quote:

True, but something is to be said for creating a mixed caste corporation when not enough people of one caste are prepared to set up a caste specific corporation.

Having said that, as soon as enough people of one caste are part of this mixed corporation they _must_ separate and create one of their own. This way a new commander can be part of a corporation more quickly.

This way the mixed corporation would be a breeding ground for caste specific corporations. It would always remain rather small because when, for instance, the number of mercs grows to 5, then they would leave and setup show elsewhere.

Just a thought though...

I don't see why that is necessary. There CAN be multiple corporations, but why can't each division be such as a fleet wing with its own leadership?

quote:

Unless this military capabilities are focused on defending their station. I guess be no military capabilities you mean spaceships?

Yep. No space-faring attack vessels.