Organization

I'm back again. My girlfriend came back after 4 week, so I had some other priorities

Jeffery, good too hear that you have some proposed logo's. Personally I'm terrible with gfx, so I didn't want to start drawing any. Let me know if you have found a location where you can put them. If not, then let me know, I'll clear www.stormpages.com/intercorp for you. I just added some content there, but nothing definite yet, just a placeholder (BTW, the banners are killing me, they are added automagically ).

About us sending stuff to tacops. What would they expect us to send?

EDIT: Jeffery, I added some history to the webpage, and included you in it at some point. Can you have a look and see if it is acceptable or not? If not, I will change it

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 weeks, WTF are you still around here?

Anyway, have read the history, I guess it's alright for now. I think we might need to change the history later.

Not really sure BUT I do know that we would have to at least give them some sort of sompany profile, which is why I need at least one Director for each division. Basically, the company profile would include:-

1) Organisation's Mission Statement & Charter;

2) Divisions' Mission Statement & Charter;

3) How we intend to use this organisation to fit in the BC universe both MP and RP wise;

4) How we intend to use this orgnisation and the basic rules we will implement like your Charter but subject to their approval;

5) Organisation logo;

That's all I can think for now.

Yes, could you clear me for the web site so that I can upload the logos that I have designed, so that we can choose an appropriate one.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Jeffery Eu:

4 weeks, WTF are you still around here?

Anyway, have read the history, I guess it's alright for now. I think we might need to change the history later.

hehe, can't help...

quote:

Yes, could you clear me for the web site so that I can upload the logos that I have designed, so that we can choose an appropriate one.

Sent you a private message (look at your profile), since my mail doesn't work at the moment.

Let me know what you've changed, otherwise I might accidentally overwrite it when I'm uploading files.

About the directors. Can't we try to interest at least 1 person per branch, instead of 1 director per division? Might be easier.

For example, I could be director for the traders division, and interim director for the commercial and paramedic divisions until someone volunteers.

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

quote:

About us sending stuff to tacops. What would they expect us to send?

Hmmm. You should look at the original forum topic where I posted my ideas for the Police Logo. (Poor Spuzzum is the only one using it now, although I was it's creator...... ) You can see the series of drafts I created, and what I sent in. It's how the logo evolved.

General Fleet Discussions -> Police Caste

I think you should use the process I did for the logos. Post them here, and let the other members decide if its good; if they agree, send it to TacOps ([email protected]). Then, if TacOps says to modify something, then by all means, change it. Their criticism is really helpful.

Nova out.

Goodday mates,

Well as promised I have posted some of the many logos I have created. I have not been able to upload the rest as I'm having trouble converting from TIF format to JPG format. Will update this post later.

www.stormpages.com/intercorp/content/Logo.html

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

The logo's are looking good Jeffery.

I can start working on a concept version of the Corporation's Mission Statement and Charter. From this I can derive its role in the BC universe.

I need some time to complete that though.

Before I forget: Jeffery, if you want you can modify the history if you like, except for the part before I supposedly meet you. That's my history

This is something I found funny about the first trader division out-set, I think Riga posted on the 2nd page.

quote:

All members of Commodity Inc.,
with the exception of the Director
, are only bound by the divisions rules and rulings as long as they are at one of the corporation bases.

You got a loophole for a corrupt director here I think. If you like that, that's fine with me. Just my two cents. Or I didn't understand it right and this all-nighter took it's toll allready. They please disregard.

You're right Rico,

Well please remember that that was just a draft charter, subject to approval from the tacops and also all our members. On the other hand what's the point of being a director if you do not have some privileges

quote:

Originally posted by Rico Jansen:

This is something I found funny about the first trader division out-set, I think Riga posted on the 2nd page.

You got a loophole for a corrupt director here I think. If you like that, that's fine with me. Just my two cents. Or I didn't understand it right and this all-nighter took it's toll allready. They please disregard.

Heh, you're right.

Let me rephrase it:

All members of Commodity Inc., are only bound by the divisions rules and rulings as long as they are at one of the corporation bases.

The director is always bound to the rules of the division and the rulings of the corporation. Unlike members he can be judged by the board of directors for his actions off-base.

He, just been promoted to commander , next step.....director

Rico, thanks for pointing it out. Appreciate the feedback.

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

Been friday, and still no charter. Well, guess I've missed my self imposed deadline.

Been very busy, and am currently just popping in and out to check the forum.

About the charter:

Nothing official yet (hopefully on monday I've got something in writing ).

If I compare the corporation with fleets then the fleets have some distinct advantages. They are structure/command based.

Say, Rattler wants Menchise to do something, then he will send Menchise an order. As I see it he'll put together some transmission, send it and waits for the reply. Peer to peer communication? This is harder for indies.

Now, let us assume that Jeffery (merc) is looking for a new client. Currently he has to roam the galaxy in search for one. Having a corporation removes that need. 'Peer-to-Corporation-to-Peer' can be offered on an anonymous basis using the corporation. That's the number one priority for the corporation, and its reason for being.

Similar to the fleet example above:

Jeffery needs a contract. He sends 'an order' to his client via the corparation. The client is still anonymous and Jeffery is put into contact with him.

Order here is used in the comparible sense, it's not that he's ordering _someone_ to do something!!!

Well, just a thought. Hope to get this (and related subjects?) in writing soon. As always, feedback is welcome.

Why don't you guys start a small temporary workforce business first. And then businesses of different natures will spawn based on emerging needs by other people. No need to start with a single mega-multi-branch multinational corporation with a huge board of directors and staff. Can't think of a reallife example here, but the multinational would look too much like a fleet, IMHO. Start small, and most of all, keep the freedom in it. People will be looking mostly for a one-of task, not a continuous job placement I think. Take for example our Supreme Coder ... the sublime indie

Also, who says the stucture of an organisation can't change over time. Since there are hardly any indies speeking up now, no need to expect them pooring in the human resources office during the next months or whenever MP get's done. Perhaps even business mergers, split-ups (Microsoft, anyone?) or even lay-offs could happen in the future. Capitalism has allways seen businesses in flux, right?

I have no clue of the evolution of MP. I've never played games like that. Perhaps it will develop into a static form. But considering the internet, change is inevitable I suppose.

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

quote:

Originally posted by Rico Jansen:

Why don't you guys start a small temporary workforce business first. And then businesses of different natures will spawn based on emerging needs by other people.

That was more or less what I had in mind to start with but as this topic went on the consensus (as I understand it) was that one needed a corporation with at least x 'leaders', where x was at least 5.

Now, the divisions can be compared to fleet's wings, and can be headed (and be composed) of 1 person.

I've been concentrating on the trader's division, and frankly, if the corporation is allowed to be smaller, and grow from there then I'll be _very_ happy (anyone cares to comment on this?).

For instance, Jeffery heads the Merc's division, I'll head the Trader's division.

The corporation would have 2 directors (rather small, but not 1 single person at the helm) and 2 divisions where interested players can go to. Furthermore, the other interested players can erect a not already existing division.

quote:

...and most of all, keep the freedom in it. People will be looking mostly for a one-of task, not a continuous job placement I think.

I think I was very explicit in the charter about that. People are free to do as they choose. Worst thing that can happen to them is being expelled from the corporation. Well, guess they take/get their business somewhere else then.

just for emphasis: they are indies, they _remain_ indies!

edit: AFAIK its different if you want to be a director. You're an indie, but dedicated to the division. Otherwise, what's the division about, what's its fabric? I think that largely depends on the director (and co-director if one exists).

quote:

Also, who says the stucture of an organisation can't change over time. Since there are hardly any indies speeking up now, no need to expect them pooring in the human resources office during the next months or whenever MP get's done. Perhaps even business mergers, split-ups (Microsoft, anyone?) or even lay-offs could happen in the future. Capitalism has allways seen businesses in flux, right?

I hear you and totally agree. A lot of the corporation's dealings depends on outside influences. A fleet may want something done, a trader wants to contract a merc, etc. It's not in the corporations control.

Moreover, the corporation's focus is on its members. They can change their mind, so the corporation has to adapt.

Moreover, the balance of power in a part of the galaxy might change. Again, the corporation has to adapt.

So many dynamics, it's almost impossible for the corporation to be a large _static_ organisation.

[pouring my brains out mode off]

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

The corporation's charter... Finally.

It's more or less dirived from the traders charter.

This version implies that I must make slight changes to the traders charter (including Rico's comment)

As always, comments are welcome and remember... it's just a draft.

CHARTER

Intercorp Unlimited

Intercorp Unlimited assists in the exchange of services and goods, safe transport, negotiations

concerning price and deliverance on behalf of its members, provides contacts with

persons qualified/able to provide services.

The corporation aims to create well known locations where said services can be offered and/or purchased safely.

The corporation consists of a board of directors and members. The directors are responsible for outlining its strategy. The members have no obligation and are not bound to rules or orders.

Due to the independent nature of the parties involved Intercorp Unlimited does not resolve

disputes and does not pass judgement over events outside of its base.

Once a settlement is reached and one or both parties leave the base

then Intercorp Unlimited is no longer responsible for any actions performed by either party.

Disputes are to be settled by the parties involved themselves or by other, higher,

authorities if these can be found.

Intercorp Unlimited provides bases that function as safe haven for those that are present, thus creating a safe environment in which business can be conducted. Any misconducting person will be removed by force.

The sphere of influence of Intercorp Unlimited only encompasses its bases.

The corporation does not deny non members any services as long as this does not interfere with the interests of the corporation or one of its members. Costs for non members are always twice as high as for members.

Intercorp Unlimited requires a commision of 4% for each transaction, with a minimum

of 50.000, for every deal that is closed with direct help of the corporation.

The penalty for noncompliance is to be expelled from all Intercorp Unlimited's divisions.

The fee is to be paid within 2 weeks.

Members are aquitted from this free if a party that is introduced by Intercorp Unlimited does not keep its end of the bargain (of which the member must provide proof). If the same thing happens to a non member then the corporation only requires half the commision as a token of good will towards this person.

Any earnings made by the corporation are to be invested in the corporation's infrastructure and/or operations.

80% of the earnings of a division is invested back into that division, which in turn invest at least 75% to support their members.

END CHARTER

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

Well, I agree with everything Riga said.

But Rico try to remember that the whole intention of creating this organisation, hell call it what it is, this corporation, is actually to provide an unofficial stepping stone for all indies. There is no call for everyone to sign up, but of course any interested parties are more than welcomed.

The idea of having a large corporation with separate divisions is actually my idea. The reason for this is simple, better to start of with a big infrastructure for the corporation so that any or all members can join in to create a logical, feasible and viable background for the organisation both in RP and MP. This IMHO is much better than squeezing in details later if we were to start out with a smaller specialized guild/organisation.

The second reason is so that all indies can gather under one roof to organise resources so that when GCO comes out the corporation can build a base or multiple bases either planetside or orbital where commanders can launch from. Of course there is no reason why a single commander can't purchase and built a space station but would it be fun MP & RP wise? This of course is subject to each person's opinion, but in my books, MP means basically that multiplayer.

Thirdly, I understand that not everyone would be interested in joining such a large conglomerate, but I could try right. And Riga seems to understand this, because as I see it, he want's to establish a traders division that is separate from the main entity but still could rely on some links if need be. This is the reason for having trade and services discounts for members.

Finally, being under one roof, I can play out my desire being in large ship movements,battles and so forth, imagine Battlestar Galactica, which is my whole intention from the begining.

Now no one says that the organisation stucture will always stay the same, in fact we're still on the long hard road of trying to figure out what and how the hell to do it.

So I personally welcome your suggestions, but I would really welcome with open arms all indies who wish to join in the fun and make this little effort of Riga's and mine successful.

As a great man once said,"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

BTW Riga great charter, of course subject to change

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

Hey Jeffery, in your reply you just described the role of Intercorp in RP/MP. Save that file!!!

Agree to the charter? Please comment.

As I see it:

Logo (we have a view) - available

Charter - Intercorp - available

Charter - Commodity Inc. - available

RP/MP purpose - needs refinement

We're getting there...

PS: I'll change your logo page on the website so that it is in the same style as the other pages.

I've updated the intercorp webpages to include most of the stuff i've already produced. It looks much better now

The corporation's charter is not yet included, but you can read it in the forum.

It also includes Jefferies logo's, but I kept the old location as well.

Nova & Jeffery: Glad you like it.

Jeffery: Maybe we should post things to tacops 'piecemeal' so that they do not get tons of material at once.

What about sending the charter, see what they say, correct it where needed, and that take the next step (yes, I know, I'm impatient...)

First of all, thanks Rico for putting the charter to the test.

Now just a single comment (I let Jeffery reply to your questions, I'm kind of pressed for time at the moment)

quote:

Which brings me to the question of membership. If I wanted to use your company's services I know why I would want to be a member. Cheap rates. But why does the corporation need members. It would have a better profitmargin on non-members. .... And perhaps this is also what triggered my "keep the freedom" response. Why link people to you when there is no appearant reason. People will come to you when they need a job/service, or have spare time to waste. Or am I missing something obvious?

Well, one of the reasons I (the trader's division) would like to have members is information.

I would like to chart certain aspects of the galaxy. Where to get the goods, what are safe routes, how to behave when encountering Orion (No Nova, I did not forget ).

It would be ridiculous to do this on my own. That's where the members have added value to the division. They travel a lot, encounter all sorts of situations and can report this to the division.

Nothing obligatory though, but these guys always tend to leak information

Well, at least that's my (still incomplete) view on the subject

quote:

They travel a lot, encounter all sorts of situations and can report this to the division. Nothing obligatory though, but these guys always tend to leak information

Well, if they are leaking it anyway, why loose money on it. Why not offer discounts when you have people willing to fill in "We know where you went today"-forms. That's a way to get an idea where everyone is going. Like supplying screenshots from the tradcom infopage through email or something. Or just through chat/comm channel.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]