Droidan RP information

IRSWalker

Is there any information of the Droidan race that would help me RP better?

For instance, names - what is a typical Droidan name? Is it Terran, or a number (Cmdr 7 of 9 )

or what?

Also, now that BCM is out and there are (hopefully) hundreds more players out there, what are the plans for the alien military fleets? At the moment, I play Droidan Military Commander, and I hope I will be able to play that in BCO.

Is there anyone else who plays Droidan? Or should I give up now......

Regards,

Smiley

Well, I'm sorry to say that there hasn't been much RPing with any Droidan & Valkerie people around. Take a look at the appendix, it shows you the names of the highest ranking military officials for each of the Alien Nations.

Either way, all races have basically the same pool of ships to choose from. It just depends on your caste.

Finally, don't give up Smiley. To my knowledge, you're going to be the first person to RP as a Droidan ever. You'll be setting the standards for the future. Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

To my knowledge, you're going to be the first person to RP as a Droidan ever. You'll be setting the standards for the future. Good luck.

Sounds like a good way to upset the SC then!

Still, I've checked out the race spec, and it seems fairly simple. Help the Syrions, Hate the Gammulans, attack anyone trespassing in Droidan sectors, never leave the Syrion quadrant. That much is clear.

Now, the only named Droidan is Mega Byte, so I'm going with the premise that this is perhaps some strange artifact of whatever translation software is used to process Droidan into English, i.e. Droidan names translate to 1000-year-old technology terms. There is ample scope for plenty of names from this selection, for instance the famous Droidan heroes Ram Bus, Hard Drive, See'ar Tee and Cee'Pee Yu. Not to forget the infamous Droidan gigolo Floppy Disk!

From this rich heritage, I have been named Punch Card, and I hope to emulate the exploits of my esteemed Nanotechnology Genetic Algorithm Personality Randomiser Y-Chromosome Subroutine Donator (that's father in your terms) Peecee'Emcee'Eye'Ay Card.

For all those wishing to impinge on the Droidan systems, you will receive a warm welcome. A very warm welcome in fact! Shortly followed by a very cold goodbye......

Anyone got any ideas as the the artificial life form personality to head for, from sci-fi examples? For instance, Data, HAL, Cybermen (no mining gold then!), Daleks, C3P0, Robbie......any others?

ROTFLMAO! Your father: PCMCIA!!!

We had a pneumonic to remember that in school: People Can't Memorize Computer Information Acronyms.

Hmmm. As for personality, how about:

Uniformly polite and friendly ATM and Gas Pump Personality:

"You have violated Droidan Space. Please lower your shields and prepare to be vaporized. Have a Nice Day."

PBS Robot Personality:

"I am ASTAR, a Droidan Marine. I can put my arm back on. You can't. So Neener Neener."

Microsoft AI.

"Droidan Battlecruiser: Yes, we can."

Apple AI.

"Smile!"

Seriously, though. The Droidans are a race of robots, which seem to have been created by the Syrions. It's all very mysterious. Maybe you worship the Syrions as gods. Maybe you serve them as slaves. Maybe they are "The Creator"

I'm sure you'll come up with something.

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

[QB]The Droidans are a race of robots, which seem to have been created by the Syrions. It's all very mysterious. Maybe you worship the Syrions as gods. Maybe you serve them as slaves. Maybe they are "The Creator"[QB]

Interesting that you should see it that way. I thought that perhaps the way the history of the two races had played was that the Droidans were the Syrions who went all the way with the mechanical enhancements. Suffice so say that any such split happened too far in the past for records to be clear.

So now we have the basis of Droidan belief-systems. There are the Creationists, who believe we were created by the Syrions as slaves and that we escaped/earned our freedom. Then there are the Supremacists, who believe that the Syrions are an inferior race who were too afraid to walk the path to mechanical perfection. Finally, we have the minority AntiSyrions, who believe that we are totally separate races who happen to share similar features and location in space.

All I need now is another Droidan to RP some of the internal politics with!

Punch

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: SmileyMan ]

I personally think that it was the Galaxians that did the Syrions and Droidans all along. The appendices don't really drop any clues, so I'm just taking a wild guess here, but think about it.

The appendix states:

(Regarding the Syrions: )

quote:

No one quite knows where they came from and since only Syrions themselves are allowed anywhere near their highly restricted home base, speculation is high.

(Regarding the Droidans: )

quote:

This race is closely related to the Syrions but it is not quite clear how. Where the Syrions are part machine and part living tissue, the Droidans are all machine. No Droidan has ever been encountered outside the Syrion quadrant. They have been known to join in against the Gammulans in defense of the Syrion quadrant. It is certain that the Gammulans, and pretty much every undesirable entity in the galaxy are interested in learning the secrets behind the Syrion and Droidan nations. Due to the high level of security within their territories, it is impossible to venture into any restricted section of the Syrion quadrant without being intercepted.

quote:

There are those who believe that the Syrions and Droidans are responsible for linking the galaxy with wormholes and flux fields the way it is now. These claims have not been acknowledged by either race.

Okay. The little bit about them joining up against the Gammulans with the Syrions basically nulls out any of that "Droidan vs. Syrion" stuff you came up with. That much I do know.

The mystery of how they came to be, and the one about the wormholes and fluxfields could possibly be linked.

Now, Obsidia, the "secret" planet is unique. It is linked to Alteris by a FluxField. Those aren't common; trust me. And on the other end of it's space, is a wormhole that leads to a Supernova.

The planet is barren, and is inhabited by a single, lonely Galaxian probe. If I didn't know better, it looks like the place has been RANDOM-ed. Kinda fits along with the fact that the Galaxians are nowhere to be found anywhere in the known galaxy.

Unfortunately, there are no facts supporting this, at the moment. Just a theory. So this is all my 2 cents, on this subject. If anyone else has other ideas, I'd be interested. I'm researching the Galaxians throughout the galaxy, and this is one of the things that may be linked.

I'm guessing the SC's going to keep this under wraps until BCO comes out.... He said that the Galaxians may play a major role in one of the upcoming games..... Oooh..

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

The little bit about them joining up against the Gammulans with the Syrions basically nulls out any of that "Droidan vs. Syrion" stuff you came up with. That much I do know.

I deliberately tried to avoid implying that there was any conflict between the Droidan and Syrion races, because I have read the history and the appendix and I would never contradict any official sources or established precedent.

My intention was to flesh out a little how individual Droidans might feel towards the Syrions, to make RP more fulfilling. None of the three beliefs that I put down preclude the races helping each other, there are many examples in Earth history of nations helping each other (especially versus a common enemy) when the citizens of those nations held views of each other similar to those I invented.

So I can play a Droidan who thinks of the Syrions as the "also-rans" in the quest to become the ultimate being, but who would run to the aid of the Syrion people because:

[*]Those were my orders (quite important, I think you agree)

[*]I felt sorry for them

[*]An incursion into Syrion space explicitly threatens my own homeworlds

and because I feel they (and, in fact, all other races) are "lower" than me, it is not worth my while to pre-emptively strike them.

I hope you find the above reasonable, and in keeping with all the available material. If not, tell me why.

Regards

Smiley

quote:

Okay. The little bit about them joining up against the Gammulans with the Syrions basically nulls out any of that "Droidan vs. Syrion" stuff you came up with. That much I do know.

I disagree. Galcom and Insurgents came together to fight the Gammulans at the Battle of Jupiter. That hardly rules out GalCom vs. Insurgents.

quote:

It's all good, then.

Also, I suggest you read one of the great RP classics, Preemptive Strike. It's a story about a secret attack on the Droidan homeworld. You won't be disappointed.

Phew - just printed it out. That's like 300-odd pages, baby!

And since I used the frankly useless IE, it's all in White on black. Mmm-mmm, that printer's sure hungry for toner now! Maybe one of the ways I could show my committment to RPing Droidans would be to distill the thing into a novella form for other people to read. Have to see about that.

Good thing its not my printer.

Anyway, gonna read it on the train home.