Logistics of Wraith Fleet

Bandus

quote:

There is absolutely no trading for any caste, other than Explorer, Trader or Commercial

That is a quote from the SC. My question is does anyone know who will be taking care of the logistics side of Wraith Fleet when the time comes. If we don't have anyone we should probably start making something up pretty quick.

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

*1st Squadron,*HammerHead Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Masada

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

Not only that, but we must also consider getting a Training Officer, Recruiting Officer, and possibly a Fleet Operations Officer, in addition to the Logistics Officer position. A Fleet of starships doesn't run and fight on beans, just bean-counters. wink.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

*1st Squadron, *SIN Wing

Stationed, *Starstation Wrath

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way." - John Paul Jones

ICQ 32545391, CST

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

Dragon - Order of the Jade Dragon

Prime Fleet Liason Officer

quote:

My question is does anyone know who will be taking care of the logistics side of Wraith Fleet when the time comes?

Do as Corsair Wing does - find a way to get the necessary logistical support for your Wing. Which could be interpreted as beg, borrow, or steal what ye needs biggrin.gif

quote:

Not only that, but we must also consider getting a Training Officer, Recruiting Officer, and possibly a Fleet Operations Officer, in addition to the Logistics Officer position.

Careful Ben, this almost sounds like ye be volunteering fer the position(s) tongue.gif

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

*1st Squadron, *Corsair Wing

Stationed, *Starbase Cerberus

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

ICQ# 29486270, EST (GMT-5)

=Wraith Fleet=

Second in Command, Wraith Fleet

Bushi of the Dragon Council

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 05-16-2000).]

Intersting idea Gallion. However, there is not always things to beg, borrow, or steal. We need a specific person who will organize production and distribution of supplies.

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

It's good that you brought this up Bandus.

The Fleet Structuring allows each Wing to set up its own supply units.

Each Wing is broken up into unlimited number of Squadrons, each squadron being made up of 4 Capital Ships each.

Thus, each Wing Commander can set up his own supply line as needed by the modus operandi of his Wing. You guys just have to form up your own supply squadrons, and perhaps even share them smile.gif

I am the Recruiting Officer, anyone applying to the Fleet has to get my approval. In MP, if any Wraith Member sees any potential recruit, I hope the have the foresight to talk to that player and bring him/her on the team. Recruiting by adverstising brings the masses, recruiting by invitation brings the team players into the Fleet.

Fleet Operations.. hmm.. that also sounds like me wink.gif

The stocking of the Wraith Starbases and Starstation will be the responsability of the Wing that is assigned to it.

Training: Training is the responsability of all officers in charge of an active unit. Wing Commanders are responsible for training their Squadron Commanders, and the Squadron Commanders must train the Commanders under them. Same thing goes for Fighter Command.

One of our members has access to a server and he has offered to try to get a Training server set up for the Fleet once this thing goes Live. And now Derek has given us Fleet servers... any training needed will be done in there.

We will find our best Fighter Pilots and our best commanders in every kind of ship out there once MP comes..and we'll ask them to become instructors in the Wraith Training Grounds (remember each Wing has its own training grounds in their respective stations).

Next! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 05-16-2000).]

I think all this will be easier to do once we actually see the interface and know what we have to work with. I'm starting to get a better vision of it as time progresses and it may work out. I have one question though, where are supplies going to come from in the first place? Are we going to have certain factories that produce vagrants, another that produces fighters, exc?

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

Hello, all.

A just got word today that a person with the callsign of Ranger wanted to fly for us. I hope I wasn't over stepping my bounds when I said yes, Tac. I'm green with the whole command structure thing, so don't hesitate to tell me when I'm out of line.

Also, Fighter Command contains shuttles as well as combat craft. In the comming months on of my goals is to establish a quick line of supply for a small number of items, like an emergency core or a quick stash of missiles. This would be a superb resource for a Logistics commander to draw on. And just in case your fancy Cruisers catch a little to much flack, you can call a suttle to haul your smoking hull back home smile.gif.

On training: Ranger said he completed the Xtreme Carnage levels. While not a master test at skills, it still is noteworthy. Perhaps untill we get the servers up we can ask pilots to spend time with Xtreme?

------------------

Commander David "Whisper" Liev

*Wraith Fleet Fighter Command

"We Will Be There"

=Wraith Fleet=

I believe the player-owned factories and stuff is reserved for Galcom Online (the massive MP BC game).

For BC:M, as far as I understand it, the supplies and goodies will come from Starstations and Starbases. Stocking the stations and then taking those supplies to the ships in the line are the task of the Commanders that fly the Transports. If you guys want, I can create the Position of Base Commander, whose duties would be to keep the starbase/station stocked and to send out supplies to the Fleet units that require it. This was originally meant to be part of the Wing Commander's duty, but if it gets too big of a job to command the wing and keep track of the supplies, you guys can have someone to do that for you biggrin.gif

Whisper: You are free to recruit anyone into the Fighter Command. Just remember that you can only assign Squad Commander and Fighter Group Commander positions to Wraith Fleet Members... so make sure you get non-aligned pilots (aka, those not in other fleets) to sign up with Wraith if they are interested in those position.

And yes, Fighter Command also includes shuttles. They are used to support Fleet Command (aka, cap Ships) if needed, to keep your own units supplied and to transport marines if Fighter Command is ordered into ground assault operations.

As far as Training for Fighter Command, Xtreme carnage can be a good start until we get MP. I would also suggest using Free Flight to practice attacking ground targets, specifically SAMS, RADARS and ODS sites. Talk to HammerHead Wing Commander for his ground attack needs.

I think I could handle having to supply my own ships. But if you did make the position of base commander it would take a load off. Perhaps it would be a better idea to create a "logistics division." It would only a few people and they could simply be sure that all Wraith Installations and vessels were stocked.

------------------

Commander Bandus

GCV Defiant

ICQ 48630242 EST

=Wraith Fleet=

quote:

Thus, each Wing Commander can set up his own supply line as needed by the modus operandi of his Wing.

hehehe...guess this solves any Corsair Wing logistics problems biggrin.gif

quote:

...there is not always things to beg, borrow, or steal.

Bandus - I will agree that we will disagree in this regard. It may not be pretty but it works. Anything can be obtained for a price. What the price is depends on parties involved. Capitalism is a fine example of this principle IMO.

quote:

We need a specific person who will organize production and distribution of supplies.

True and I agree with the creation of the seperate position of Base Commander. This will free up the Wing Commanders to do what we do best tongue.gif

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

=Wraith Fleet=

The crowd has spoken..and has been heard! biggrin.gif

All right Wing Commanders, once we get the players in, be sure to nominate someone as the Base Commander for your assigned Starbase/Starstation.

That way, each wing has its own "logistics" officer.

Also, I will post the way the fleet is supposed to work together, I typed it up in an e-mail I sent our Fighter Commander, I'll post it next.

Here's how the Fleet Structure is supposed to work :

Example of a Fleet Operation:

Galcom needs to destroy several weapons depots of the insurgency as part of a major offensive they are about to launch. As

the other Galcom Fleets gather for the storm, Galcom High Command assigns Wraith

the destruction of the weapon depots and other targets of importance like

ODS's and STO's for the coming battle.

Wraith Fleet mobilizes....

Fleet Command (me) gets the orders from Galcom High Command. I order the

Wings and Fighter Command to destroy the targets. At this point, Wing

Commanders and Fighter Commander get together and plan the attacks.

You guys may decide that the STO's and ODS's on 3 of the planets that are to

be hit can be taken out by a Fighter Squadron (16 fighters) supported by a

squadron of Battlecruisers (a BC Squadron=4 BC's) and their support craft

(another 16 fighters, each BC has 4 fighters). It is at THAT point that you

guys simply assign the Fighter Squadron and BC Squadron to the task. You do

not plan how it is to be attacked or anything, once the orders are out, it

is up to the leaders of the Squadrons you selected to carry out the orders

and plan how they are going to strike.

To destroy the Weapons Depots on the planets, you guys may decide that one

BC Squadron, one Marine Detachment and One Fighter Squadron can reduce that

depot to rubble. Once again, assign the squadrons that will participate on

the attack and let the leaders of those units get together and plan their

attacks.

This chain of command allows ALL players in ALL ranks & positions to have equal participation and contribution to the overall effort. The higher echelons of

command must know the capabilities of their subalterns in order to send the

best men/women to do the job. Each Squadron (Cap Ships) and Flight (Fighters) will have its own "Category" and "skill rating" once MP comes out, giving the Wing Commanders and the Fighter Commander data from which you can pick the right units for the job.

Of course, this doesn't mean you will be left out of the shooting! All Wing

Commanders can command a Squadron of BC's and the Fighter Commander (or

the Squadron Commander of the Fighter Group Commanders) can command a Flight

(4 fighters). So you are in the top of the food chain for the decision

making, and in the bottom of it when the battle starts. This gives you folks a unique point of view from which you can see how the

missions are done and get some good info on how your fellow players react

and play, allowing for more efficient use of resources.

The "Rating" of each squadron will be determined by the # of sucessful missions vs failed missions assigned to them. It can be set as "Novice" (0-4 missions) , "Veteran" (4-10 missions), "Elite" (10+).

The "Skill" will be determined by the leader of the Cap Ship Squadron or the Flight of fighters.. as it is the leader of those units that determines the focus of the group. Skills can range from STS (Space-to-Space), ATG (Air to Ground), ATA (Air to Air) and TRANS (Transports... either supply or to Insert Marine teams).

Thoughts, comments? Suggestions to improve this?

It sounds pretty good to me. Gives the WC/SqC's a great deal of flexibility in planning operations. When MP comes out, what we need to do is find/recruit SqC's that are very independent minded, yet realize the need for combined operations.

From the look of things, we may be operating in singletons for the most part unless working in combined ops (GCO only). When BCM comes out, I suggest that we begin recruiting and running training excercises to get our Wings up and running smoothly as soon as possible. The independent ideal will help in this, allowing WC/SqC's to plan individual training plans for the Squadrons.

Also, having a Base Commander/Logistics Officer will be a very good thing. It takes the supply detailing off the WC's back, allowing him to better plan the initial training excercises and gives him more time to work with the Wings growing pains.

One more thing. In order to better entice people to sign up for my Wing (SIN), I'd like to change part of our mission parameters. As is, we are detailed with Exploration/Trade (which has become Logisitcs, with the elimination of warship trading)/and Intelligence gathering. I'd also like to add Covert Ops (Attack) to our responsibilities. I know that Corsair is nominally assigned these duties, but they will mostly likely be operating in the Gammulan Quadrant, and not many other places. Detailing SIN Wing to the same task will allow more flexibility in attacking other targets, most likely Insurgent areas. Or it would allow us to make a concerted strike against a major target (Attempting to take down New America for ex.). It will give us more forces to carry the attack, and more ships to perform the assault with. I'd like to know your thoughts on this. As always, I will follow your orders.

{Edit}: Neglected to mention that SqC stands for Squadron Commander. Didn't think that SC would be quite appropriate for that. wink.gif

Respectfully,

------------------

Cmdr. Benjamin Somerset

GCV Swiftsure

*1st Squadron, *SIN Wing

Stationed, *Starstation Wrath

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go into harm's way." - John Paul Jones

ICQ 32545391, CST

=TDY Wraith Fleet=

Dragon - Order of the Jade Dragon

Prime Fleet Liason Officer

[This message has been edited by Ben Somerset (edited 05-17-2000).]

"I'd also like to add Covert Ops (Attack) to our responsibilities."

"As is, we are detailed with exploration/Trade (which has become Logisitcs, with the elimination of warship trading)/and Intelligence gathering"

Warships can't trade, but you Commanders can drive armed transports smile.gif.

The Covert Ops part.. hmm... SIN is already supposed to support attacks and has combat roles...

Perhaps SIN should take over HellHound's "assassination and snatching of hostile personnel" part.

Remember Ben, in the future we have access to the insides of stations and that means that SIN operatives will be running around them sabotaging stuff and causing havoc biggrin.gif You ARE an Intel network hehehe.

Edited In:

BCM FIRST PERSON GEAR SUPPORT

One of the coolest things that I think is going to blow fans away, is the ability to fly or drive your craft, park it behind some hills, climb out, run up that hill, go prone, whip out a BMP9 sniper rifle, and snipe someone in the noggin.

Something like that required a method of having the player select his gear when creating a new game. This way, you are already prepped and you get to bypass, yet another interface screen when selecting your gear. For this reason, in addition to selecting which asset you want to command (station, ship, vehicle etc) based on the chosen career, you get to pick your gear as well. This will depend on the career of course. For instance, a ship, station or base Commander, only has the standard gear and he can't change them, nor select anything else. In the case of the station or base Commander, its not like he's going to be going anywhere anyway. The same applies to a pilot, who would probably need to use his standard gear to defend himself in case he crash lands behind enemy lines and has to evac his craft. And if a ship Commander goes and lands his craft and exits, then gets himself killed, thats his problem. Game Over man!

Anyway, there are different types of gear depending on the career. It mostly benefits the marine careers actually (see 05-13-00 dev diary for a discussion on careers) because those guys have access to serious weapons of mass destruction.

And in addition to the usual complement of ammo and items, you also have carrying weight restrictions. Most of you who played the compatibility test for the BCTE module, probably remember that Fatigue Factor is also modeled in it, and you won't be able to run, let alone walk, if you are tired. Well, add carrying weight to that equation (in the BCM first person module not the BCTE module) and you can see some interesting developments. For one thing, if you think you're going to be totting a Jet Pak, an STA Rocket Launcher, wearing Heavy Armor, carrying stacks of ammo, a stick of gum and expect to enter the 3000 Olympics, you're in for a shock. This is why there is a weight warning at the top of the screen and which goes from Green, Yellow to Red, depending on what you're carrying. The max carrying weight, to be able to barely walk, is 100 units.

What this all mean? Team play. If all the ladies in one team go pack up the most devasting weaponry, booze, chewing gum etc and leave essentials like medkits, shield units behind, we already know who is going to be losing on that server - a lot.

Anyway, here are the various gear options. I uploaded some shots from the selection screen too. shot1 shot2 shot3.

The numbers in brackets, indicate the max amount of that item that you can carry. For ammo and medkits, you can carry up to 10 more if you have the back pack. As a marine, in addition to the Standard Gear which cannot be modified, you get to pick a Primary and Secondary Gear item; as well as any amount of Aux Gear depending on the limits and weight restrictions or if you have the back pack.

And in case you were wondering, the Portable Target Designator Unit allows you to fire its beam at a target and have your human or NPC buddy, fire a guided ALARM (Advanced Laser Acquired Radar Missile) missile at it for pinpoint accuracy. These, btw, are my version of the modern day Tomahawk. They'll never see it coming....at least not without a TACSCAN radar unit.

Seems that SIN and SOG will be specializing in the "jump out of ship with grunt gear and wreak havoc" missions, SIN and Hammerhead should also prepare for ALARM missions. Corsair has to prepare for them all. Man, all this makes me wish I had a lightsaber or something! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 05-26-2000).]

• 2 weeks later...

Directly from the SC's Dev Dairy:

BASE/STATION COMMANDER CAREER

Because of the BCM legacy design, you can assume command of any model. With all the new careers and player controllable assets, it occured to me that in multi-player (even single-player) a leader of a team may just want to stick around at home base and co-ordinate strategies for his forces, without ever leaving the region. So, I added two new careers which allow you to command from a starstation or starbase as if they were actually a craft. The fact is that the engine doesn't really care. If I wanted to make someone be in command of a missile in flight to a target, I can.

With that, these new careers allow you to control the launch asset. So, for example, if you selected Station Commander at GALCOM HQ, when you start the game, you won't be launching from the station (you're not in command of a ship) you will be the station with a view of the world from TACOPS (default) or any of its turrets. You can play the game from this perspective because you have access to all the station's assets just as you normally would if you were playing as a ship Commander with Fleet Command and Control authority. This means that you can, if you wanted to, use the station's assets to actually play in ROAM or CAMPAIGN mode. You will still get to launch ships, probes etc, order them around etc. The only difference is that you can't switch to any of the ships you launch. You can, but I decided to not enable it because then you'd be just a normal Commander. You do have access to a single shuttle however, which you can use to fly out of the station and back to it, in much the same way you could if you were commanding a carrier. In multi-player, because BCM is heavy into co-operative play, having someone back at base, will ensure that the enemy doesn't sneak back and blow it up, while you are launching an offensive on their base. And yes, you can only have one station or base Commander per team.

YESS!! The Sisko Cometh! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

Corsair has to prepare for them all.

hehehe...not a problem. Corsair be the Wraith Jack-of-all-Trades biggrin.gif

------------------

Commander Gallion

GCV Graf Spee

"Run Silent, Run Deep"

=Wraith Fleet=

"One of our members has access to a server and he has offered to try to get a Training server set up for the Fleet once this thing goes Live. And now Derek has given us Fleet servers... any training needed will be done in there. "

An update on that server. First for everyone else what this is is my friend's personal server running at a co-location facility. His company has set aside a rack for personal use by some of the admins. It's a dual PIII550 system with gigabit ethernet (1,000 base-t) in and out to the internet (no such thing as overkill, only kill).

Right now it's running Half-Life Team Fortress Classic (server name: Lucifer's Flowers) and he was going to allow me to throw on something of my own if I wanted, but what I didn't find out till later was it has to run under Linux. He has Suse loaded on it and that's it, he's not going to throw on Windows so I don't think it will happen for BC:M frown.gif