Welcome

Tyrn

"I will come back from war with my shield, or on it.

-Norse saying"

You sure? I thought it was a Greek (Sparta) cry from women to their sons/fiancee's going off to war.

Imo, a norse lady would give him a shopping list They were quite "modern" people in those times hehe.

Yeah, I'm sure its norse. The idea is that it was a dishonor to lose any of your gear in combat (similar to the greeks in that respect), so it was essentially a statment that no one would take it away from you, even if you were dead, it would then be used to carry you back home on.

Going off-topic, but I just thought I'll post this..

quote:

The idea is that it was a dishonor to lose any of your gear in combat (similar to the greeks in that respect)

Not so much dishonoring, but it would help them bad guys during ragnar├Âk.

They would use everything left on a battlefield to build themselves a boat, so they won't drown when earth sinks to the sea.

And that's why berserkers cut their fingernails before battle.

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

My, my they are coming in thousands now...

Well welcome aboard Stormshadow and Ashspear, and now if you'll just follow me (Taaac, why do I always get the crap jobs ) I'll just show to your quarters and get you to fill out a few forms -

Sinners must earn their way....

Cur: to continue with being off the topic, there is pretty much nothing left after ragnorak, they are all dead, and premanantly dead this time. A sort of resurected Baldur is holed up somewhere and recreates the world...

Dreada: Forms... sorry, I've missed something. What do you mean?

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by AshSpear:

Cur: to continue with being off the topic, there is pretty much nothing left after ragnorak, they are all dead, and premanantly dead this time. A sort of resurected Baldur is holed up somewhere and recreates the world...

Now you're talking of g├Âtterdammerung, and it has a little difference to ragnar├Âk.

Here's the aftermath of ragnar├Âk:

quote:

With Ragnar├Âk ended, new life began as the earth rose from the sea. The earth would be green and fertile. A new sun would rise and across the sky; the chariot would be driven by the daughter of Sol ("Sun").

Vili (or Hoenir) and many of the younger gods who took part in the war survived. Vidar and Vali, the two sons of Odin, had survived Ragnar├Âk, as did the two sons of Tor, Modi and Magni, who would wield Mj├Âllnir, their father's mighty hammer. So did Frigg, Freyja and the other goddesses. Balder, the dead god of beauty, and his blind brother, Hod, will be reborn in the New Age.

Two mortals, Lif and Lifthrasir escaped the destruction of Ragnar├Âk, because they had hid themselves at Hoddmimir's tree; they will repopulate Midg├Ñrd.

I'll stop posting off-topic now.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

I just could not resist poking a little fun at a SINner, there's nothing more nor less to it.

Ah, I see. I was beginning to get worried about something Thought there was more to being a SINner than I knew... Phew.....