1.00.02 console server + win2003 + termn svcs = no go?

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

heh, well, I for one would like to see it working on Windows Server 2003, so consider yourself the official guinea pig.

In the RC4 patch (maybe out tomorrow), the console server graphics glitch is fixed and I will not protect the executable. This way there is better flexibility for starting remote servers.

I'll be running it on a Windows server 2003 also boss.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.. i'm ready to start hosting a 24/6 server, closed on monday from 12:01am monday -12:00pm sameday.

i have downloaded all patches RC1,RC3.

when i set up in Configserver then launch the server it pops me into the game. if i try to join by going to Join server the server that i just created is not listed. the que box just says ''UNSCANNED'' 99999 PING.. can ya help?.sorry i'm not new to networking.. but it sure feels like it.

thank you.

Cpt Kasin Pool

quote:

when i set up in Configserver then launch the server it pops me into the game.

When you start the server you are starting a graphical interface which is the same as the tacops computer in the normal game.Assuming you have a firewall and/or router you just need to open ports 2302 and 2425 . If you do not have a firewall or router .... get them.

Guest Remo Williams

Just an FYI UC MP console won't run on windows server 2003. UCMP.exe shows up in the task manager process list for just a few seconds then disappears. No errors are displayed to lend a hand to determine whats going on. I've even tried compatibility mode to make it think it was running on Windows XP still no go.

I don't expect any help with this SC I just though you might want to know since you posted above that you were interested.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Did you install the full game on the machine? Then edited the shortcut to add the /console to it? Did you also try adding /l3

Yes Sir I did all of the above, and I patched using the RC4 full patch from the beta home page.

Guest Remo Williams

Unfortunately the machine that IÔÇÖm running windows server 2003 on doesnÔÇÖt have a vertex shader since its primary use is for serving my websites. It meets all the other requirements though for UC. I guess IÔÇÖll have to break down and pick-up a good v-card for it to see if its able to run the game at all. IÔÇÖll let you know if works or not as soon as I install the new v-card.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by FishGills:

I'm having the same issue. Though my server has a GeForce FX 5200 (cheap FX). I see ucmp.exe in the process list but that's it. No errors, nothing.

Ok well that saves me some money right there thanks. Since SC said the console does no graphics processing at all and your server has the Geforce FX 5200 the v-card is not the issue.

Windows server 2003 can be configured so many different ways its going to take sometime to figure out what feature is messing with the UC console. If any one else would like to help out you can download a fully functional ISO of server 2003 enterprizes edition from Microsoft at no charge HERE. It allows you to use the software for 180 days why you decide if you would like to buy it.

Right now my server is configured as a domain controller and is serving DHCP and DNS to my network. It also has IIS 6.0 installed and running 3 websites. Just to give anyone thats interested in trying my basic current config so you can try other configurations.

quote:

I'm having the same issue. Though my server has a GeForce FX 5200 (cheap FX). I see ucmp.exe in the process list but that's it. No errors, nothing.

On Windows Server 2003?

Remo, you are using RC4 for these tests, right? And are you doing this while sat in front of the machine? If so, have you tried using UltraVNC to see if that makes a difference?

I can't think of ANY reason why the console server won't start on Windows Server 2003, especially if the game is installed properly, the server config tool configured correctly etc.

Guest Remo Williams

I am using RC4 and the machine is setting right here in my office. I'm downloading UltraVNC now to give it a go. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Theres no reason why UC console shouldn't run on windows server 2003 its in the same family as windows XP. Its just a matter of finding the right config.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Theres no reason why UC console shouldn't run on windows server 2003 its in the same family as windows XP. Its just a matter of finding the right config.

I agree. But knowing Windows, you never know wtf is going on.

btw, try forcing the logging by using the /l3 parameter and see if that makes a difference. I've seen elsewhere someone reported that without logging being forced, the console server (which REQUIRES some form of logging and should default to /l1 if absent) crashes on init.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

FishGills do you have your server 2003 setup as a domain controller?

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Also, on my Windows 2000 Advanced Server, I have the same issue. It is also a Domain Controller.

Thank you sir! After my weekend backup I'm going to un-dcpromo my server back down to just a name server and see what occurs.

I have tried demoting my Win2k server to a normal member server of my domain. Same issue. Tried running the game with compatibility mode (win 95 and win98 on the win2k server, all versions of windows on the win2k3 server).

Tried on the main console (monitor and keyboard directly plugged in), Terminal Svcs, and VNC.

The only clue I have is that my machine's hard drive will spin, then sorta sit silent for about 2 seconds, then the app dies.

And this is with the RC7 console server? And using /l3 etc?

I don't see why even the console server won't run. It doesn't do any graphics processing whatsoever. The only thing that I can think of, is probably some comms security issue on Windows Server 2003. I don't have Windows Server 2003, but I'm thinking of downloading the free version and installing it on a separate partition in order to see what the heck is wrong. But I don't want to waste my time doing that if I don't have to.

Guest Remo Williams

I had the same results as Fishgills this weekend. Unpromoting my Domain controller had no effect. The RC7 console won't start. I've tried adding the /l3 still no go.

You gave me and idea though SC I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows 2003 Server to a second partition with just the default settings today. Then install UC, and try to run the console. If this don't work I'll let you know.

Guest Remo Williams

I installed a fresh copy of 2003 server to a new partition. Then Installed DirectX9 after which I installed UC and patched to RC7. The console still would not start. I did get a bit further though this time. The first time I tried to start the UC console the screen went black then went back to the desktop. I used the following command line options

ucmp.exe /s /console /l3

I'm stumped at this point. If I can think of anything else to try I will, and post the results here if I get it going.