1.00.02 console server + win2003 + termn svcs = no go?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Remo Williams

Great thanks SC! If I can get it to run here we will have a dedicated 24/7 server for Prime. Along with the servers you're planning on for the fleets.

Guest Remo Williams

I was able to get the UC graphic's and console servers to run on Windows 2003 Server lastnight after I did a clean install of 2003 server to another machine.

It must of been a hardware or driver issue on the first machine I never could isolate the problem. I checked to make sure the UC server would still run every step of the way as I configured the new machine to the same settings I was using on the first machine. Never ran into a problem the UC server ran great with each new config change I made to the host system.

I sure am glad thats over! Woohoo!

No offense Remo,but I have noticed your site (Prime West) seems to be up for only short periods of time.

That's to say I see A lot 'ghost' (previous) sites with the IP of 64.173.171.*** when I log in with the in game browser.

In fact, I was on your site (prime west) earlier today ,like maybe 14:00 EST,was on a planet in a vehicle,quit the game with alt-q,went back to check and your site was down.

Don't know what is going on, but tried the same thing on the HOXDNA server and had no problems.

If there is any way I can help out let me know.

Guest Remo Williams

Thanks for the info Cc. For some reason that I haven't figured out yet the UC server is disappearing from the in-game browser and ASE after being up for a few hours, but I'm working on it. Its a windows 2003 server issue I'm sure. I'll try to restart the server more often so it shows up in the list until I get this issue figured out.

Remo,I was just on the Prime West site,not doing anything,just waiting for someone to showup,posted a message (in case you were monitoring) and it crashed..server disconnect.

I mean like I was just there and did not,repeat did not ,try to crash the site.

Do you have a log file?

Well, just checked and it's back up.Huh,don't know, thought I waited long enough .OK.

It's working .. Steve just kicked my butt.. However just before he quit he said his 'guns werent working'. Don't know what that means.

(Edit) 11:45 EST.Just left the the Prime West site to check the forum,and now the Prime West site is down.In fact ,another site (ghost IP not prime west)is also down.I think we need some more investigation.

What the () heck is going on. Normally the HOX server is very stable ,but earlier today it was up for only a short peroid of time and then got nailed.In fact,HOX and Prime West were up when I checked ,approx 15:00 EST ( using the in game browser,did'nt log on),checked the BC forum,and then rechecked using the in game browser ,and both were down.

Don't know.

I'm up for investigation,just give me a lead or other idea.

BTW,I have the time to spend on this.

Well, I may be getting off topic,but hey I want this MP to work .

[ 03-18-2004, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Cc ]

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

I am using RC4 and the machine is setting right here in my office. I'm downloading UltraVNC now to give it a go. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Theres no reason why UC console shouldn't run on windows server 2003 its in the same family as windows XP. Its just a matter of finding the right config.

Remo, looks like you forgot to post in this thread that you had a HW/SW problem which was preventing UC console from running?

Guest Remo Williams

I posted it above here in this thread also. Didn't give as much info though. Me bad!

Post #54 above

The UC Console and graphic server is running great here SC besides known issues that you have in the VCF.

quote:

I posted it above here in this thread also. Didn't give as much info though. Me bad!

Post #54 above

Nope, your post #54 was quite clear. I must've missed it. My bad. Yeah, I should be flogged.

quote:

The UC Console and graphic server is running great here SC besides known issues that you have in the VCF.

OK. The RC8 patch is not quite ready, but its more advanced than the RC7 mp executable, shall I make available the current RC8 mp executable? It does have once problem which I was going to fix but haven't yet - in that due to the new time synch, at some orientation, some targets (ship/missiles) will appear (to the client viewing or targeting it) to oscillate though this is NOT the case. What I mean is, if you target a craft/missile, you will see that it may sometimes oscillate in the CVD/ITD until that entity changes its orientation. To the client that has the object (e.g. client2's ship), they are actually fine but its you (client1 ship) that thinks they are oscillating. Its not major - so if you're playing with others, you can just tell them to change their PRY or somethin'

Anyway, let me know and I'll make the executable available. If you guys can live with this one quirk, this WIP RC8 version is a LOT (the new chat log system alone is worth it I think) more advanced than the RC7 version.

SC, if that is the only issue then I would make it available. I've had my server down (Prime Fleet East) due to some of the issues that you now have fixed. Releasing it now will give us a chance to test other items. We really could not test too much planetside in FP due to the one issue with the Cmdr's missing texture. Also with the sync issue out of the way we will be able to jump to other regions without any problems.

Besides I am very interested to see what you have done with the chat log system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Remo Williams

It appears I've stumbled on to why Windows server 2003 was unable to run UC on the previous system and it was so simple I have no idea how I could have ever over looked the problem.

Last night sometime while I was sleeping Windows 2003 had a critical error with the nv4_disp.dll nVidia display driver, which forced a reboot. After I rebooted the system everything appeared to be functioning normal so I decided to fire up UC to play some SP for a while.

When I clicked on the shortcut to start the game the same thing happened as before on the other system. The opening screen would appear then just disappeared and that was it the process ended.

The game wouldn't run WTF I thought what could have changed. So I went to the direct X diag. tool and looked. Direct 3D was nonfunctional. Hmmm ok so I went to the adapter properties and seen that the hardware acceleration was set to none. I then moved it up to full and looked in DX diag tool again and direct 3d was now working again. Ok cool I went back to the game and it started right up. Excellent now I went back to the old system and check sure enough direct 3D was disabled.

So I turned on the hardware acceleration and the game ran on that system also.

LOL! Just goes to show how easy it is to over look the stupidest stuff.