Worth it or not?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this game, must say though that it has kept me glued to my chair.

Sometime soon I plan to get a new internet conn, (when i get the money ), but I really want to try out the multiplayer. Is it worth it to try to login using only a 56K, or will it only aggravate other players, including myself.

I use a 56k connection too and there is very little noticeable lag when I play, just make sure you have nothing else that wants a piece of your internet connection when you play. Run a scan for adware/spyware, stop downloads, and shutdown messenger and it should work fine (or it does for me). I wish I didn't live in the middle of nowhere so I could get highspeed internet.

After playing multiplayer a little longer on a 56k connection, IÔÇÖll give these warnings;

Don't land on a planet, as soon as my ship enters the atmosphere, my system starts to lag to the point of being unplayable.

Stick to servers with 4 or less people.

Don't play on the servers with NPC generation on.

Unless of course you don't mind watching ships on your radar magically transport themselves instantly across space, and finding out two minutes after the fact that a Firestorm launched all it's fighters at you...

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

True, but you did make an impression. You're the first one I know of to steal another player's shuttlecraft.

Thats illegal. Please explain.

And I regularly play on 56K in order to gauge the performance. On the planet, it is a nightmare due to the massive amount of information that needs to be sent. In space, it has always worked fine for me, even with 9 people on (the other night).

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

True, but you did make an impression. You're the first one I know of to steal another player's shuttlecraft.

Thats illegal. Please explain.

First, a correction. It wasn't Neo who done the deed; it was Spacecowboy.

Cowboy wanted to be a Marine so, every time he entered the server, he started out on a planet. On this particular occassion, he was already on Procon when I launched ... he hailed me (via chat) and asked if there was any way he could fly a vehicle into space. I figured if he wanted to experiment, it would be easier to help if I, too, was planetside.

Using TacOps, I targeted his position and flew my Megaron to where he had entered a small flying craft. After landing, I discovered he'd taken off and was flying around, trying to achieve escape velocity ... er, altitude. So I sent myself to a shuttle ... easier to follow him, that way.

By the time my AE could launch, Cowboy had again landed, directly underneath my Megaron. So I landed next to him, ordered my shuttle to halt, set the autopilot, and exited to FP. Checking my D.I.E., I noticed he'd exited his craft and was wandering around.

As I headed toward Cowboy's little ship, I got a chat message from him telling me he's in my ship. I asked him if he meant ON my ship. "No," he said. He's IN it.

"The Megaron?" I asked. And he answered, "No. The shuttle."

I turned around and, sure thing, my shuttle was flying all over the sky, under Cowboy's control. When I tried to enter his little ship, to give chase, I ended up back inside my CC (naturally, as it was right on top of me). So I attempted to tow him with the Megaron's tractor ... it locked on but refused to cart my shuttle (with Cowboy inside) back into space. I could hyper from one end of ProconZ to the other, stretching my tractor beam as I went ... the VDD still indicating "Towed" for the SC.

After breaking lock, Cowboy tried to get the shuttle off planet while I ate dinner. No luck. He finally gave up and abandoned my craft.

LMAO!!!

OK, thats funny.

Anyway, there are no safeguards to prevent another player nabbing one of your crafts. And since its perfectly legal, I don't think I will prevent it. At this time.

As for him playing as a marine, why can't he join the server as an SFM?

The marine and PSP careers are NOT allowed to leave the planet. So, no matter what craft they are in, they can't do it. The game checks the career in the profile, not the craft.

However, an SFM - with a craft - can launch from space and go a planet (and be able to return to space), but if he egressed the craft while on the planet, he would die (since SFMs have a different type of suit).

quote:

LMAO!!!... since its perfectly legal, I don't think I will prevent it. At this time.

Personally, I loved it. As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise." As for starting out as a SFM, Spacecowboy would need to answer that himself ... but, from what I could see, he was having a great time running around an Insurgent city (not base ... no protection) in FP mode.

Perhaps there should be one career where you can pilfer a ship and then launch into space ... otherwise, spending all that time trying to leave the planet only makes someone look like they should be nominated for the "Resnig of the Month" award.

No offense to Cowboy. After all, I gotta hand it to him for catching me off guard.

quote:

However, an SFM - with a craft - can launch from space and go a planet (and be able to return to space), but if he egressed the craft while on the planet, he would die (since SFMs have a different type of suit).

Heh, THAT will be a bad surprise for those who try...

Battlecruiser - the Games, where you can try (and do) everything... within bounds, and rules...

Best regards

quote:

but, from what I could see, he was having a great time running around an Insurgent city (not base ... no protection) in FP mode.

*groan* I gotta get that damn time synch on the planet sorted out. It gives me a headache just going down there (since the time shift causes you to go back in time and shifts your pos back etc)

All in good time I suppose.

I haven't played MP yet due to some technicaly difficulties, but wouldn't it have been interesting (if it's even possible...i think it says it's not though in the manual :-(...anyone try?) if he ended up stealing your Megaron.

That would be funny, left on the planet with a shuttle while he takes your CC.

It would've been even funnier tonight, when the SC tried to steal my Megaron while it was parked near a starstation. At least, on the planet, you can go hunting and fishing.

quote:

I gotta get that damn time synch on the planet sorted out. It gives me a headache ....

Planetside time synch is relative. It's definitely a lot better now than a few weeks ago when, every time you walked, it was like you were being ripped out of your skin.

quote:

It would've been even funnier tonight, when the SC tried to steal my Megaron while it was parked near a starstation.

Yeah, had that worked, it would've been classic!!

quote:

it was like you were being ripped out of your skin.

LMAO!!!, that pretty much describes it.