Seamless MP region

How do you guys feel about a seamless mp region?

What I mean is, I can have a server which is running the entire MP region as a single world space i.e. without having to jump to multiple connected regions.

This would also mean that all the stations would be in the same region but all will be outside the radar range of each other (or they will engage each other).

There will still be jump gates linking each quad (you'd be insane to fly the distance between the Terran and Gammulan quads for example) so you can jump from one to the other. And they will be outside the turret range of stations and ODS systems.

WARNING: Machines which don't meet the game's recommended requirements won't have the processing power to handle such a region.

Would there be just one planet/moon in this region? And the space around it populated with numerous starstations of different castes ... in much the same way that a planet's surface is populated with numerous bases, cities, and starbases?

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

Would there be just one planet/moon in this region? And the space around it populated with numerous starstations of different castes ... in much the same way that a planet's surface is populated with numerous bases, cities, and starbases?

What I mean is, I can have a server which is running the entire MP region as a single world space i.e. without having to jump to multiple connected regions.

This is EXACTLY what I would need for the MP Fleet Action tournament I posted elsewhere. It helps the intelligence gathering part, and it requires fleets to perform recon in-game.

I don't think you have to have the entire MP world, just a given system (Eluria system for example) and use existing solutions for jumping for everything out-system; i.e., load/unload regions per star instead of per planetary zone.

Yeah, that would integrate VERY nicely into what I proposed earlier.

ZM out.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

What I mean is, I can have a server which is running the
entire
MP region as a single world space i.e. without having to jump to multiple connected regions.

Roger, Boss. I think I've got it now: a method to reduce the need for jumpgates.

From my point of view as a humble but avid reader of classic science fiction (though, when I read it, it wasn't, yet, called "classic"), your new server would then reflect a more "Asimovian" universe ... relying on hyperspace to get from one star system to another.

Do I like it? Yes. Emphatically.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

I don't think you have to have the entire MP world, just a given system (Eluria system for example) and use existing solutions for jumping for everything out-system; i.e., load/unload regions per star instead of per planetary zone.

Did I ask for opinions on how it would/should be done? I don't remember that. Lemme go back and read my post again.

Nope, I didn't think so.

Siddown.

quote:

It helps the intelligence gathering part, and it requires fleets to perform recon in-game.

Rubbish. Going to Tacops will give you the entire region map. If anything, an intel gathering works best with divided regions - the way it is now.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

What I mean is, I can have a server which is running the
entire
MP region as a single world space i.e. without having to jump to multiple connected regions.

Roger, Boss. I think I've got it now: a method to reduce the need for jumpgates.

Gee, lemme check my post. Nope. Didn't say that either.

quote:

... relying on hyperspace to get from one star system to another.

Wot?

quote:

Marvin:

... relying on hyperspace to get from one star system to another.

In the same manner currently used to hyperjump from one target to another in a single zone. For example, if you have "the entire MP region as a single world space" and you want to go from Procon to Castrin ... you target Castrin, directly, instead of a jump gate to Castrin. Then you hyperjump directly from one planet to the next (e.g. Procon to Castrin).

Is that right?

quote:

Originally posted by Mano Faber:

I'm all for it!.

Does this mean that a player won't be able to oversee the entire seamles mp region (from TACOPS)?

Rubbish. Going to Tacops will give you the entire region map.

quote:

Would this be an option set in server config such that you could choose seamless or divided, or would this be a replacement for the current divided regions?

No server option. No coding - and I'm not doing any. Its all content. All I'm doing is creating a single region from the current collection of MP regions.

Let me sharpen my question.

When I look at my server config tool, there's a scenarios tab that shows mp0000 loaded, and what I'm wondering is if the change you're suggesting is something that we might choose (or not) by using this "scenarios" part of the interface you've already created. (Is this tab only used for GBS?)

My concern is that if we amplify the requirements to run the game in MP, then we risk losing some of the people who might be able to join us in MP because they don't have the system for it. If it's optional, we keep more people in the multiplayer game.

If it's not possible to be optional, well, then I'd feel kinda iffy. On the other hand, you have access to the profiles of those who have registered here, so you could know what the average machine for this game's community looks like.

ZM out.

quote:

When I look at my server config tool, there's a scenarios tab that shows mp0000 loaded, and what I'm wondering is if the change you're suggesting is something that we might choose (or not) by using this "scenarios" part of the interface you've already created. (Is this tab only used for GBS?)

Those are scenarios. Nothing to do with the world.

That scenarios tab determines what scenario the server and all clients are running. e.g. the scenario could be one in which the Paladian station is owned by Ter/Ins instead of Ter/Mil and the Ter/Mil folks have to recapture it etc. The mp scenarios (as far as scripting is concerned) are identical to the sp scenarios - except that the server runs the scenario and all clients get the info from it. In fact, the server could be running a roam, acm or ia scenario for all it cares. The default scenario currently in mp, is roam. Since I never implemented the ability for the server to cease running one scenario and start another (in much the same way other mp games load/unload maps across sessions), only one scenario (the one the server is started with) can be started and run. In order to run another, you have to stop the server, change the INI (to the new script) and restart the server.

quote:

My concern is that if we amplify the requirements to run the game in MP, then we risk losing some of the people who might be able to join us in MP because they don't have the system for it. If it's optional, we keep more people in the multiplayer game.

What people? You mean the few who come to the servers?

Anyway, I'm not sure why I have to spell this out. I never said I was going to do ANYTHING with the existing mp world. I simply asked if a seamless world is something that some (e.g. fleets) would like to see. And if/when I do it, it would be an option for those who want to use it - and only one server would be running it.

quote:

Originally posted by neograymatter:

What are the chances of being able to play in a seamless mp region useing dial-up?

Fairly good I think - but 56K dial-up for mp, is like meeting the minimum requirements for the game. I have very little interest in it and you use it at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see....

Idea that cant possibly be satisfied? Forgot it at home...

Comments that'll get the SC to smack me? Cant think of any...

Hmm...all I got is brown-nosing, praise and endless admiration, guess it'll have to do

Seriously, though, a single seemless area for multiplayer games does seem like a decent idea to me.

The only thing that worries me, is probably already being worked on, and that is AI pathfinding. I'm SURE that SC is already working on making sure that AI's will use jumpgates rather than trying to fly straigth to somewhere. He wouldnt be the SC without thinking of EVERYTHING! (Ok, maybe I did have an 'SC, please smack me' comment after all)