A question of speed

Guest Photochicken

Guest Photochicken

One thing that's always bugged me about this game=battlecruiser speed. Supposedly the fastest you can go is about 2200 using the thrusters. However, when autopilot is enabled to take you to a far-away destination it frequently reaches speeds exceeding 30 000-until the hyperdrive is sufficiently charged at which point the autopilot automatically kicks into hyperspace. The problem I have with this is all the unecessary hyper fuel wasted when you could simply travel at a comfortably fast speed of about 30 000. You can sometimes get around the hyper problem by cutting the autopilot before the hyperdrive charges, but what I would like to know is if there is any way you can boost the engines up to those incredible non-hyper speeds manually as opposed to letting the autopilot do it. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Photochicken (edited 01-26-2000).]

This works as designed. There is no speed limit in AI-mode, that's why all ships in AI-mode exceed their speed limits. Derek implemented it this way so that ships can cross vast distances faster, that means to speed the game up IIRC. Remember, v2.09 final is the last version, do not expect any more upgrades/patches for the good old lady!

Do a search (yep, this forum has a search feature) for ridiculus speed or the likes, it has been discussed a lot.

Btw., in the upcoming BC:M, Derek wants to use a new dynamics engine, so we all hope this little annoyance will be "fixed" then.

Regards,

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

And to answer your question, no, there is no way to manually put your ship at 30,000 speed unless you cut off the autopilot like you've been doing...that I know of anyway...

------------------

Cmdr. Bandus

GCV Defiant

Commander, Delta Wing

ICQ#-48630242

=Wraith Fleet=

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"