What is an ODS?

Malakie

Again I have searched to no avail.. bummer this site has the BEST search engine I have yet seen. Anyhow, what is an ODS station? What does it do/for? Is there a reason to destroy them? Any advantage to having them? etc etc

'Looking out my view screen at 'Trancor ODS'

------------------

Ride the Stars..

Malakie

WEllllllll...... I'm not sure if I should answer this or tell you to RTFM. I guess I'll answer it. ODS Stands for Orbital Defense System. They come in varying sizes shapes and colors, and are all quite nasty to tangle with. If it's showing up red, eitehr stay away or attack. Be sure to say your prayers first. If it's green or blue, be happy that you have some protection.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

ICV-Eclipse

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival."

Hi Thanks for the answer.. As I stated I HAVE read the manual, updates, web site and will keep referring to it. I must have missed where it states that. It is NOT listed in the starbase appendix nor in the table of contents.

The manual is very well done and very detailed, but it is still possible to miss items...

Thanks for the feedback... Now to figure out how to use tac-ops effectively.... as fleet commander. So far I have not yet been able to command anything at all. Only thing that shows bright green is my ship. ANything else shows dull green. Will keep pluggin away.

------------------

Ride the Stars..

Malakie

Uhm, I think somewhere in the manual, version control, or faq, tells you that you don't get fleet c&c until you reach the rank of supreme commander or have Karl Reines onboard. And obtaining the rank of Fleet Commander only means a bit more pay.

Just keep referring to the manual icon12.gif

------------------

GCV-Transcendence

Death before Dishonor

And ODS is not a station/base, so it will not appear in that appendix. It should have been listed in the threats database, but it isn't because I forgot.

It is just a defense system just like any other and is only found in orbit around planets.

To get Fleet C&C, wait to get promoted to Supreme Commander or download and install the GBS mod 1 available on the downloads page.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 02-10-2000).]

Personally, i think ODS systems are easy targets, all you have to do is get in close, then let the pta system rip'em apart.

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ENTERPRISE

WRAITH FLEET

"Choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you"

I have a question myself about ODS's. Now from what Eclipse said they sound like they could be a good challenge. Yet whenever I attack one that is red, it never even fires a shot at me no matter how close or far away I am. Anybody know any possible reasons for this?

------------------

Cmdr. Bandus

GCV Defiant

Commander, Delta Wing

ICQ#-48630242

=Wraith Fleet=

"Universal Peace Through Deadly Force"

ODS systems are not for starstation defense. They were originally designed for planetary defense back when you needed to be in orbit to scan a planet.

An ODS won't fire unless it has a valid lock solution. And usually since it is moving around in orbit pretty fast, if a target is not at the same location long enough for the ODS to get a valid lock solution, it will cancel the command and continue along its path. It also depends on the direction it is facing. They only face one way and do not turn around. So, if a threat is behind it, it can't lock. If the threat is in orbit, or near the orbital plane, it will acquire it because regardless of where its facing, that orbital path will eventually cause it to be facing the threat at some point along its course. It was designed to take out targets that are in orbit or approaching orbit (anything that threatens the planet), not entities beyond orbit.

Since you will need to be in orbit to observe a planet in BCM, they're going to play a major role in surface ops.

Don't worry, those buggers will be gone from orbit before you get there. wink.gif

------------------

Fleet Commander

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi

=Wraith Fleet=

"Hard,Fast, Furious...FIRST!"

it seems that things in BC3K depends upon how you attack. If you aren't careful, the ODS will rip you to shreads. I just tested it, when I was infront of it and it started shooting my BC got blown up in like 30 seconds, but depending upon how you attack, it won't shoot at all. Of course who wants to do it the easy way ? smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

ICV-Eclipse

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival."