Great Game (questions)

Guest Yapa

Hi I just got the game a few days ago and have been learning all its features and options, seems there are hundreds of them. I've also enjoyed reading the 150 page manual almost as much as playing the game because its well writen.

When I first started the game I didnt belive all those options with crew and carge etc were in the game and thought that they were there for show and fake, but when I go into it a bit more I realised that all those things work and the game has heaps of options, not just flying around killing things.

I have heaps of questions which I've forgotten now because I couldnt access my email to get my password for the board. But here are some that I do remember.

1. Is there a way to check what type of minerals and resources are on the planet/moon your about to mine?

2. Why does the game have an option of sending down ATV tanks and marines to planets when they are bare and theres nothing on them? I've also read posts here about taking care to land on non-hostile ground, what does this mean? are there enemy on the planets?

3. If one of my IC's gets destroyed how can I buy a new one? I cant seem to find any on the star stations at earth and mars.

4. Do other BC's or space ships attack my mining drones on the planets surface? or can I just leave them to mine and do other things?

5. How can you tell the inflation rates at the different starstations when trading? I want to buy lets say books cheap at one station and sell them for more at another, how do I see if the selling price at another station is cheaper at the station I'm buying at before making the purchase?

6. Does Taking over starstations allows you to get repairs and trade items for free?

7. I'm using the 'Free Flight Mode' because I like to explore and have occasional fights. So how come when I go to TacOps it says for my ship "TerranMilitary" ? I thought I was supposed to be a Scientist smile.gif because I would like to go to other sectors in space and explore there, but whenever I try to go to another races space region I get attack by heaps, and heaps of ships.

I have a few more key questions but I cant remember them now. Oh, one more thing, in the manual it says something like 'the game is fully dynamic' and that everything happens around you no matter what you do. Is this true? like are the other ships just randomly placed in the space regions where I go to make the game realistic or do all the friendly and enemy ships have their own 'Lives' or objectives and carry them out? as if they were other human players?

One thing I saw which would indicate that the games NPC's do their own thing was when I was mining a moon in the Neptune sector and just checking all the different options on the ship, suddenly a number of enemy ships came into the space, I had my drones on the moons surface and the shuttles too, so I didnt want to leave them incase enemy ships killed them. I put my shilds up but not the cloak because I didnt want to waste it. The weird thing is the enemy ships werent attacking me but had a fight with other ships, and they were my allies, was this a war between races?? There were heaps of ships, more than 30 so I guess it had be a war, do you thing this was scripted into the game so that it would happen when I was there ? or do these things happen because all the races have their own agendas and do their own things?

Wow, I think I've written an essay here smile.gif

Thanks in Advance for answers.

Yapa

Welcome aboard Yapa!

When posting please say what version of the game you are using.If its a 2.x, download the latest version of the game (2.09) from the downloads page. V1.0 is no supported.

Some answers for you:

1) Sort of...look at the Navitron and you will see that the planets are color-coded. Mineral planets will give you a higher %of metallic elements (titanium and such), gas planets will give you stuff like xeon, etc,etc. There is no way of saying "oh this planet will only give me Radium and Silver". Mining is luck-based, but you can improve your chances of getting what you want if you land on the right planet smile.gif

2)We have tanks and marines because you CAN attack planet-side targets.The game as it is now has a few hotspots (Earth, Sygan amongst others), but you just wait for the new releases... those planets will CRAWL with targets.. I can't WAIT! wink.gif

3)If you can't find any it may be the station ran out of them. Interceptors are listed in the TRADCOM under "INTERCEPTOR".

4)Hehe, drop a drone in an insurgent planet... that will answer your question =)

5)Click on "INFO" while in Tradcom.

6)I wish! Repairs are only free in GalcomHQ. Though in later games I heard military cmdr's will have free repairs at friendly stations... im not sure about it though.

7)Free Flight means you are still a military cmdr, but with orders to "go out there and do what you want as long as you follow Galcom Directives". Avoid the heap of attacks by flying cloaked.

8)Think of it this way: the game DOESNT NEED YOU. If a terran/mil finds a gam/mil or an insurgent ship, they WILL fight. Why? They hate each other's guts. If you leave your ship parked in orbit with a "defend ODS" order (under AI control) and your IC's with defend BC orders and you go to work....7 hours later you come back and you may find your ship in another region because it had to flee from destruction (what IC's???*grin*).

9)Hey, if 2 forces meet in combat, you think they will say "heeey, there's the player, lets ignore the ships shooting at us and go after him" (like MOST games out there do... I-WAR for example). Nope, they will engage the opposing force and they MIGHT attack you if your ships stray too close to the fray (enemy fighter pilots love to go after my shuttles..sigh) or if you actively engage them. Rule of combat: Always fight the most inmediate threat. You're on the other side of the planet and they have another terran/mil 2 kliks from them... who will they attack? smile.gif

Essay? Hehe, that is common here buddy.

Once again, welcome to the game Cmdr!

------------------

Fleet Commander

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi

=Wraith Fleet=

"Hard,Fast, Furious...FIRST!"

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 02-17-2000).]

quote:

Mineral planets will give you a higher %of metallic elements (titanium and such), gas planets will give you stuff like xeon, etc,etc.

Duhh!! Now why didn't I think of that. So that's what that Navchart Appendix column was for. Thanks Tac.

Rico

p.s. The more I play this game and stick around on this site, the more I learn that NOTHING here is "for show and fake".

p.s. #2 You beat me to it, SC.

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 02-17-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Welcome aboard, Yapa! May I interest you in a little Insurgency? wink.gif

quote:

Avoid the heap of attacks by flying cloaked.

You may want to avoid this if you can in v2.09 (the latest and final version) because the cloaking system has some adverse effects. Namely, your BC will flood with radiation.

------------------

Commander Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

Chief Security Officer

New America

Just to share an experiance, yesterday I was playing as a raider, when a solnar decided to attack my bc. The captin was so dumb that he tried to come straight down my throat. I activated my PTA system, nuff said.

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ENTERPRISE

WRAITH FLEET

"Choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you"

I'd like to add to Tac's excellent response.

1. Check the Navchart appendix file and look in the TYPE column of the planet. That should give you a hint of a general idea of what type of minerals to expect. That table also gives you the inflation rate variable.

2. The planets are not bare. You need the MapPak Mod to populate them. It contains over 7000 surface mission zones across the entire galaxy.

3. Mining drones are not high value threat targets, so, they will rarely get attacked unless you dropped them in the middle of a really hostile area.

4. You are Terran/Military in Free Flight. There is just a typo in the description of that default FF script. I think I corrected it in some of the other scripts, for instance, the one in GBSMOD1

5. The world does not revolve around you. Just like the game says.

>"May I interest you in a little Insurgency?"

Hehe... "you want fries with that?" wink.gif

(sorry, I couldn't help it!! LOL!)

>"Avoid the heap of attacks by flying cloaked.

You may want to avoid this if you can in v2.09 (the latest and final version) because the cloaking system has some adverse effects. Namely, your BC will flood with radiation."

???? That's news to me! I fly around cloaked all the time and that ain't happened to me yet. Maybe all the whipping I do in engineering is paying off wink.gif

Now before this turns into one of those well-worn recruitment efforts, I suggest Cmdr. Yapa check out the fleet's webpages before making his decision. You have : Insurgents (Rattler) , Earthcom (Karl Wolff), Galcom Prime (Joe Gudihl), Orion (Blades), ISS (De Sylva-Ristar), Wraith (Tac) or non-aligned (not enlist in any fleet).

Derek, what happened to the SCID Fleet?

Wraith Fleet HQ (Wraith ain't listed in the Links page here...for some reason hehe).

If you just want to see what the Wraith fleet's about, check the Wraith Charter

Link to BC3K's Links page: Click Here!

------------------

Fleet Commander

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi

=Wraith Fleet=

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 02-17-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Tac- The fact that the cloaking system causes radiation is in the version control file. Perhaps you're a little rusty? wink.gif"><P>Inever use the cloak. [singing] My brass is bigger than your brass! [/singing]

Oh, and LOL @ the fries comment. biggrin.gif However, I must remind you that Insurgent fries come from McGalcom, as we take them over one by one! smile.gif

Btw, Yapa... Now that you've seen the Galcommie's department of misinformation first-hand, you may want to consider the Insurgency. Now is a better time than ever! Opportunities are abundant!

(Sorry about taking this off-topic with a small recruitment plug, but it felt good!)

------------------

Commander Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

Chief Security Officer

New America

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 02-18-2000).]

Well, the website's still here, but it looks pretty much abandoned for the last year and a half. Maybe we need some people to defect over to earthcom to stop it dying out smile.gif

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

In System Support (ISS) Fleet

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Hello again. Thanks for the quick and informative responses to my questions everyone!

To answer your question I have looked around and couldnt find the version, but then I looked at the cd and it had a readme.txt file which said I have version v1.01d7c of the game. You say this is not supported, how can I get it upgraded to 2 or the latest version?

About the joining a fleet thing. How can I do this? I thought I was by default Terran/Military, can I change? Is this in multiplayer or singleplayer? When I try to contact another alien ship it says 'No Response' or something like that, so I guess I dont have enough experience points?

I was playing for a few hours yesterday and have 2 new questions.

1. When I dock at different star stations like the one at Mars and Earth they both have the same price for the same goods, and the selling and purchase prices are the same so I cant make a profit trading between these stations. Is this because they both belong to the same Galacon Treaty?

2. It says in the F.A.Q to go to the Moon sector because there its quiet and you can leave the ship while drones are mining the moon. I did this and have found that there is only one way into that sector which is going through the Earth sector first where the starstation is. I left my ship and within 5 minutes I got attacked by 3 small fighters. They came out of no where, not the jump gate.

My question is how did they get past Galacom HQ star station to reach the moon sector? And dont they have a BC of their own?

The weird thing is after I killed them and left the ship there for another 2 to 5 minutes another 2 enemy fighters came out of nowhere and started attacking me, again this repeated.

Thanks for answers in Advance.

Yapa

Yapa

Sorry, 1.01d7c on CD-rom can only be upgraded partially, not totaly up to the curent version. But I can't help you one that as I can't help you with a link to that patch. If you want to play as close to the current version (for free) you can download a 53 meg demo of version 2.08. (non-upgradeable) Or else you have to buy the game in the shop or somewhere online. Have a look at the Galcom Trading Hub for more information of where to get a boxed version.

There is no multiplayer yet. So fleets do not really have a meaning in the current game yet. They only exist here to create a little (dis-)order wink.gif between the commanders. But I'll let the recruitement officers of the fleet tell you more about this. I'm not really good at this.

As for your questions:

1: Have another look for certain. There should be a 10% difference between them from the standard price. Though I must say, I don't know about what the pre-v2.00 patches did. So, maybe you are right. Though it should be like that. They should be different.

2: I'll leave that one to someone else too. As long as they get to be dead, I'm ok with it. I don't care where they come from.

Rico

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 02-18-2000).]

"Tac- The fact that the cloaking system causes radiation is in the version control file. Perhaps you're a little rusty?"

Not rusty, it just hasn't happened to me yet...THATS when I read the version control file (I prefer to be surprised! *G*).

"I've never had the problem because I never use the cloak. [singing] My brass is bigger than your brass! [/singing]"

Well, if I was to translate that ditty into REALITY... well, just remove the "br" parts in that chant of yours and it will be accurate *evil grin*....that's how all NPC's and MP players will see ya.

"Insurgent fries come from McGalcom, as we take them over one by one!"

We Serve Wraith King fries only smile.gif ... and they dont digest very well hehe.

Yapa:

"I have looked around and couldnt find the version"

Press CNTR-V while in the game, it displays the version you're running on the bottom of the screen.

Can't answer any of those other 2 Q's until I know you run 2.09. If you have v1.X, go to the store and get a copy, its less than 20 bucks =)

------------------

Fleet Commander

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi

=Wraith Fleet=

I am still a newbie so I check this forum often. I noticed tac said, give your BC defend orders for something, then put ship on AI mode and come back later and etc..

Would the BC act the same to save itself if you just put it on autopilot? I've never tried putting it on AI mode. Does it adjust ship settings and so on too? like shields, and other stuff.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

I've never seen it FLEE, but many a time I've found my BC super damaged, all IC's gone and leaky plutonium can on my cargo hold after I left it unattended while I was watching FARSCAPE and LEXX ( 1 hour time).

That's actually a good question... I dont see why it wont flee, NPC's do it dont they? smile.gif

Cruis: Putting in on AI control makes your ship into an NPC for all that matters... use it when you leave the ship, that way it wont be a sitting duck.

------------------

Fleet Commander

Daniel "Tac" Londono

GCV Usagi

=Wraith Fleet=

An NPC ship doing a FLEE, tells it to dock at the nearest station. If there isn't one, it will go to a planet.

Since your ships can't dock by themselves, due to the requirement for you to handle it yourself as well as the Frontend screen, they can't FLEE. If they did, you'd never be able to get them back.

Imagine that you BC flees and docks at GALCOM HQ. The object would no longer exist in the world. Then what?

Internal error: Object out of bounds.

cleaning up stack...

Oh no! You did it again! You're fired!

:-)

Sorry, couldn't refuse.

Wish my programs would crash like that hehe

I'll take myself to the brig now.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag.