Invaders from Mars

Guest Photochicken

Guest Photochicken

Concerning times when your ship is boarded by intruders: I like the concept very much and I can understand it happening when surrounded by fleets of enemy ships pounding my shields into hot firey deathdom. However, I cannot understand why I might be flying around near Earth sometime light years away from enemy craft only to get the dreaded message "we have intruders onboard Captain.

Wuh? (Course then you have to mess around with all your little spacemen trying to kill the intruders before they nick a shuttle or three).

Anyone know why this happens? (I'm using 2.09 by the way). I was wondering if maybe they had boarded at an earlier time and only chose this moment to reveal themselves, but surely the internal sensors would have picked them up immediately.

Also, do shields prevent the beaming of hostiles onto your ship? (That is, I assume, how they get onboard right?).

quote:

Also, do shields prevent the beaming of hostiles onto your ship? (That is, I assume, how they get onboard right?).

Nope, only cloaking does. It's the way it was intended to be. You'll just have to make sure they can't sneak your crafts away. And keep those marines on their feet.

Rico

Guest aramike01

Also, be sure to cut power to launch control using the Logistix computer. They can't still your craft that way.

------------------

Commander Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

Chief Security Officer

New America

When you get little green men crawling over your bunk and there is no ship out there.... well, they must come from somewhere..right?

They come from cloaked ships somewhere in the region.

Shields dont prevent intruders from beaming in. Cloaking also doesn't prevent them from beaming in, it prevents the ship SENDING those pests from beaming them in. If your ship becomes decloaked for a sec (like, when you fire the PTA while cloaked...which means the cloak field is on but your ship is visible) they will beam in and use the reactor as a latrine.

Guest Photochicken

Ah, I had no idea there were other cloaked ships out there. Scary . . .

Personally I'd like a system whereby you can actually tell your marines where to go rather than just putting them on duty and hope they have enough intelligence to go to the right spots (they are, after all, only marines).

• 1 year later...

quote:

In BCM, you can tell the marines (and any crew member) exactly where to go.

I don't think it's true, SC. We can only send people to the key areas. I can't tell my marines to go to Deck 1 aft corridor, or shuttle launch bay, or galley... or library... We SHOULD be able... they are dumb enough to all be on deck 1 when they are in the shuttles.

quote:

I don't think it's true, SC. We can only send people to the key areas. I can't tell my marines to go to Deck 1 aft corridor, or shuttle launch bay, or galley... or library...

E5, did you LOOK at the date of my post and compare to the current version of BCM. No? Didn't think so.

quote:

We SHOULD be able... they are dumb enough to all be on deck 1 when they are in the shuttles.

You shouldn't be able to do anything, unless I say so. And as far BCM goes, I thought about it, then discarded the idea. The marines are intelligent and fast enough to know where intruders are. I'm not going to waste development time just because you want to micro manage such a trivial issue, when in fact, the marine may just leave the assigned area under his own AI rules anyway. You don't have super-AI marines, so, take what you get. Some are Green, others are pros.

Now shutup and sit down!

LOL!!!!..that was too easy. I think am letting this whole military theme thing go to my head, aren't I?

.....anyway, I released some new shots. Go stare at them for awhile.

[ 04-29-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

The marines are intelligent and fast enough to know where intruders are.

Sometimes I wonder...

quote:

LOL!!!!..that was too easy. I think am letting this whole military theme thing go to my head, aren't I?

You're the SC

quote:

.....anyway, I released some new shots. Go stare at them for awhile.

Gaaahhhhh.....

The topic of intruders boarding your ship has been discussed before and explained at length as far as I remember, the best I can suggest is to use the search to find what your looking for.

Damn I'm sounding like one of the Expierenced guys .....Stop it Stop it.......

Sounds of slapping!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by BCFreak13:

Then how do you tell if the cloaked ships are there. Also is that why I see the flash of white light (meaning that someone came through the jump gate)and no one is there? I'm scared!!!

SOBACK is correct if you are playing the BCM demo which I will pressume you are not as this is not the Demo forum and this thread never had any relation to the demo.

Yes, that flash of white light does indicate something just used a jump gate/wormhole/flux field (very dangerous that) to enter or leave the region. It could simply mean that a ship you weren't tracking left the area or it could mean that a cloaked hostile has entered the region. To put your mind at easy, remember this: Your hostile warning alarm is all knowing in BC3K. If there is a single hostile in the region, cloaked or no, you will get a hostile warning.

• 1 month later...

This piqued my curiosity, but I haven't played quite long enough to verify or disprove this for myself.

Do cloaked ships give off intermittent sensor pings? I.e. if you stare at your radar long enough, is it possible to get a quick little indication of where the baddie is?

(Not saying that this is really all too relevant to the original subject of this thread. )

[edit] I might add, I've seen the static. I knew what it was from the manual, too. But I was wondering if the sensors briefly pick up the ship or not. If not, that cloaking system really is something!

[ 05-31-2001: Message edited by: Spuzzum ]

Guest ROoCOoCOo

quote:

Originally posted by Spuzzum:

if you stare at your radar long enough, is it possible to get a quick little indication of where the baddie is?

Cloaking is about NOT being seen, so I don't think that you see the occasional blip on you radar. When they decloak and quickly recloak however, you will see a blip that takes long enough to get them located.

I don't know this: If a ship is cloaked and it fires, it appears for a short while (visible I mean), but is it visible on radar too?