Adventures in Stupidity

Guest Deathstroke

Guest Deathstroke

Hello. I'm new to the world of Battlecruiser.

And I suck.

Horribly.

Therefore, whenever I do something totally stupid and innane, I have an excuse. For now.

I opening this post because I'd like to hear about anything anyone else may have done that could be considered boneheaded, inept, etc.

Ever "accidently" turn off your life support? Ever back into a space station, and blow up? You know; that type of thing.

I wouldn't ask, normally, but I need an ego-boost. biggrin.gif

Captain Deathstroke

UCV Trinity

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest aramike01

There was one thing that stands out in my mind:

I set the autopilot and ran off to take a quick leak. When I returned, the BC has gone planetside... and smashed into the ground. The worst part of that story is the fact that I had been playing all day long and had forgot to save even once!

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

Recruitment Officer

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

Guest Remo Williams

Heres my bonehead play of the day! Had manual control of one of my fighters coming in to dock with my BC at top speed. I like to wait til the last second to press the dock command. Well I forgot I had turned off launch control power. Talk about matter splatter. biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

[This message has been edited by Remo Williams (edited 04-06-2000).]

heh, had something come thru tech support the other day. This guy kept sending us email, with the same issue about not being able to fly the ship.

about a week later and over 5 emails, we discovered that he hadn't turned off the auto-pilot. The funny part of is that, he said the AI in the game was touted so much, that he actually thought that the AI wouldn't relinquish flight control to the Flight Officer, because he had a low AI rating. I was laughing so hard, I think I hurt my spleen.

I attempted to do a "Beggar's Canyon" run with my Battlecruiser on some far-flung planet I forgot the name of... needless to say, I was stranded on the planet for quite a bit of time smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

I was stupid enough one time to try and take on a GAMMULAN starstation by myself without docking and getting repairs from a previous attack.

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ROSETTA

*3rd squadron, Marauder Wing

Stationed, Starbase Fenrir

ICQ#67121847 EST

"choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you."

=WRAITH FLEET=

Guest Deathstroke

Thanks, people. I'm feeling much better about myself, now. smile.gif

My plan was to come back here, and laugh maniacally at any response I got, as my ego slowly rose to new heights. I'd do it like this: MWA HAHAHAHAAAA!!!

However, most of those stories are very much like things that I have done; and although I feel much better about having done them, I feel it would be wrong of me to make fun.

Therefore, I'll throw out this one bonehead of the week for you:

Upgraded my reactor. Was quite happy to be able to afford a Trellis, actually (thanks to all the get-rich-quick schemes I got from here). I just didn't realize exactly how much it would cost me in the way of power.

So, I'm about to dock at Gazer and complete my repairs to my newly installed reactor, when a half dozen enemy ships come barrelling in; all targetting me. Never one to run from a fight, I went into the power-allocation screen to prepare for a fight.

All my weapons, my shields, launch control, and cloaking system all had insufficient power. So I started taking power from "non-vital" systems. Going down the list, I notice "Aux. Life support".

As I said, I'm new. I figure Aux. Life Support is a backup to main life support. Figuring that I wouldn't need it, I cut the power to it, and proceed to thrash a now overpowered enemy.

Then I docked and repaired.

When I returned to space, I notice that, for some reason, at least half my crew had %100 fatigue. Well... at least none of them died.

That's my bonehead. Can you beat it? smile.gif

Captain (in my own mind) Deathstroke

UCS Trinity

[This message has been edited by Deathstroke (edited 04-07-2000).]

Have a look here

------------------

Cmdr. Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda, ISS08

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

ISS Fleet Recruiting Officer

Director, CIOPS Directorate of Training and Administration

Initiate - Order of Jade Dragon

ISS Fleet Homepage

GCV Svoboda Homepage

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

I tried to pull a "touch and go" with the Battlecruiser on the water when I first got the game. Thinking that a little H20 couldn't hurt a 30th century armor-plated starship, I took her down. I learned the hard way 30th century or not "starship" means "starship" and not "Fly-anywhere-land-anywhere-anyhow" ship.

------------------

Commander Parker

GCV Exeter

ICQ# 38644032

"Gracy is Pregnant"

I've done 2 very good ones:

I) I rammed into my own Vagrant once, the cursed Assassin Cruiser was in front of me, I fired, he turned and went over my head, and the Vagrant did a slow turn and slammed into me... took out my bridge a bridge officers severely injured, I was at 7% life.. OW! MEDIBAY...and I hate needles! http://www.geocities.com/tacwraith/ouch.jpg

II) I beamed a Marine into space.. don't ask me how, I dont know.. Of course, it was in an old version, but still it was hilarious. Here's the pic: http://www.geocities.com/tacwraith/marine.jpg

Thanks, guys, for helping a newbie feel a little better in his shoes. I have crashed my BC into so many planets, moons, stations, ships, etc. that it must look like the old station wagon I learned to drive in! But at least the BC doesn't (usually) make a nice pancake the way those poor interceptors & shuttles do while I'm learning the "subtle nuances" of the TACOPS computer.

P.S. Who ever wrote the OTS tutorial that uses Earth as a target is probably still laughing each time one of us newbies gives that one a go...who needs experience points anyway? I can imagine Karl Reines down there inspecting the troops as my incoming nukes show up on the radar eek.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Greg 'Hosehead' Highnote

UCV Hosehead

"Be warned, or be Hosed!"

[This message has been edited by GHighnote (edited 04-10-2000).]

I think I have personally done must of the same donehead tricks you'll have done. But, the biggest for me was running out of fuel and being dead in space forever when I still had fuel. Just was not aware that I had to restart the reactor and the main engines pretty ???? Ha smile.gif

Commander Ron Ryker

GCV Olympus II ISS14

Director, Directorate of Operations- CIOPS

ÔÇ£Defending The WeakÔÇØ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my most stupid errors was to prepare a hole day in buying Guns missiles, getting money, buiding up quite a good attack force on my BC. After i though i had enough i took of, and head into space to attack, and try to take a planet or a space stattion.

After i reached a stattion i went into combat, Interceptors flying, marines ready to fight, i had every thing in the air, and forgot to turn on my shields, PDA, and main guns in my BC. I was so Happy about the Interceptors and marines and the ATV┬┤s that i forgot al about my BC in Orbit.

Soon after BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM. By the way i forgot to save before going to combat.

• 6 months later...

Just the other day, I started planning a surface attack on an Insurgent base on the moon ([RP] Insurgents...buncha cowardly traitors spewing slop about freedom while they attack stability and peace...[/RP]), then had to get up to do some chores for my mom...then I sat back down, sent my shuttles and IC's down to kick ass and chew bubble gum...then relized that I had forgotten to wait for the marines to load into the shuttles. Four shuttles without marines; four ATV's without drivers...and after all the time i spent laying down all those waypoints (with TACOPS on HOLD, of course...Murphy's Law et al). I'm suprised the 40 locked and loaded marines didn't mutiny against the Commander who couldn't be trusted to shoot himself in the foot and has to have someone else do it for him...

------------------

Commander Markus Korivak

GCV Norfolk (pending commission), ISSHQ(Saturn)

ISS, Defense Wing

ISS Fleet Defence Wing GCV Norfolk

"What is the motto (if any) for Defence Wing?"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there's the infamous "oops forgot to raise shields going into battle" for one. I'm sorry to admit I've pulled that one more than once redface.gif (as if maybe it would've worked the second time around). Also, I've done the "oops forgot tractor beam drops shields" during combat.

And my favorite was forgetting to check the contents of a cargo pod I picked up, followed by failing to check the station's stats on whether they accepted illegal materials. Quite a shock to be slapped with a violation for carrying a whole bunch of cargo you didn't know you had. Where's the security guys anyway who are supposed to ask you "Did your luggage and cargo leave your sight? Did any strangers give you luggage or cargo prior to docking? Did you pick up any strange luggage or cargo prior to docking?" Don't they have these guys in 3000AD, in light of all the turmoil in the galaxy?

Hm. So long as I'm thinking of airports, I think a nice touch would be to include "stewardess" crewers whose job it is to serve us in-flight meals and coffee cwm4.gif Heh. What's that? A female marine? Her female commander ordered her to shoot me for saying that? Aieeeee! HELP!

quote:

"Did your luggage and cargo leave your sight? Did any strangers give you luggage or cargo prior to docking? Did you pick up any strange luggage or cargo prior to docking?" Don't they have these guys in 3000AD, in light of all the turmoil in the galaxy?

LOL!!

The worst I've ever did is that:

In free flight, I had a fight against a bunch of Gammulan Military in Earth sector. At the end I managed to bring back another battlecruiser that was SOS. I was so happy I could bring back one multimillion $hip like mine to Galcom HQ! But as usual, I made a close "fly-over" the HQ, but the damaged BC hit the station and went BOOM!...

Well, here goes my bonus...

• 2 years later...

Last night I was in a Roam scenario, BattleCruiser Millenium Gold, and my MK3 BattleCruiser had lost the navitron (and other important parts) so I was unable to hyperdrive back to Earth.

I was floating in space, confused and mystified, when I saw that a shuttle I had sent to get some cargo was using hyperdrive.

Aha!! I can jump in the shuttle, hyperdrive to the station, buy the parts and come back. I felt pretty clever until I approached the BattleCruiser and it (I think) proceeded to rip me to shreds:) I believe my IFF had been damaged, or maybe an enemy ship was lurking near the BattleCruiser, but I didnt see it. Stupid noob:)

The explosion graphics were beautiful, however.

Back to the manual......

This is an incredible simulator.

Smokin Bob

Well

Last night I finally collected my mining drones from Mimas and Atlas. I got decent hauls (~1.6mil Galcreds) and deecided to do something about Radine and plutonium consumption. Couldn't afford any of the available higher level reactors so I settled for a Linear IV shield upgrade and, you guessed it, a whole lot of Radine.

My Warmonger, GCV Cygnus, pulled out of Gazer (where I'd gone to buy the upgrades) and I decided that now would be a good time to refit the shield array. Note that on this board there are frequent references to doing this IN A SAFE PLACE.

I said, ahhh, heck with it, and kept flying. Not like I didn't have plenty of work that would have kept me busy while my AE's crew was upgrading the shields on some remote moon.

Nope. Not me. I resumed operations.

That's about when the CRE(?)/RAI SUPERCARRIER SQUADRON showed up to wipe out the one TER/POL (EAR?) Sentry in the region. One Aestrom and one Firestorm vs. a police cruiser and I was too far away to help. Then the Aestrom took a liking to one of the transports over near Gazer and started an HJ. Great! Free targets!

That's about when the TER/INS Solnar jumped in and went to attack the raider Aestrom. But I didn't notice the Insurgents' target. I just saw a hostile and attacked the Solonar because it arrived first.

I put about six FATAL birds into him and let the PTA/IOD do the rest. By then the Sentry was dead and the Firestorm and Aestrom had both retargeted.

Me.

Recall that I'd said my shields were under upgrade? Well, my shield efficiency wasn't that great. Like, it took them a very long time to come up.

But did I expect that?

No.

Nor did I expect that the Firestorm's first shot would blow out the shield generators completely. You can imagine how it went from there.

I won't bore you with the details, but I was lucky that I was within turret range of a friendly station. Even still, I took massive reactor damage (though no shut down), lost the shuttle bay, both shuttles, 2 OC's and one of my flight engineers. Had crew trapped all over the ship, lost a third of main life support system and most of the solar reactor.

But we won. On solar power and with missiles alone. Never could have done it without major fire support from Gazer, but we still won. I've never had to think about a space battle and the orientation of the solar panels at the same time.

I think I'll go find a safe place to fix the ship...

• 2 weeks later...

Heres one that was pretty Dumb i had a mining operation going on both MARS and EARTH so I would fly to each get the Minerals Redeploy then goto the other one well I thoihgt I would test my intelegence so I programed a Probe and got myself set up so the BC would fly to mars then the SC would goto the BC dock then come back to pick me up. I wanted to run around on earth and wallow in my own reflected intelegance as i got back on my ship. However STUPID me had programed the BC to come and get me on earth after the SC went to it. It took some real-time TacOPS to do, So sue me. I did not know that the BC didnt land when proged to Waypoint, so I see my ship flying in GOODIE GOODIE......wait its.....SMACK right into the earth in front of me VERY DISHEARTENING now how does one return to a station with such a small jetpack? anyways I perfer to kill people and get cargo pods it just seems more thrilling then waiting for those slow ass retarded mining drones to move around.

BTW I ALWAYS FORGOT TO SAVE till I got a post it note on my monitor that has written on it SAVE!

Stupidity/Bravery this is a fine line.

Decided to take an offensive action into Gammulan territory over the weekend. So as soon as I launched from Lyrius opened Navitron and set course for Gamma2. About 10 jumps into the trip started to run out of fuel so decided I needed to buy more.

Finding no friendly stations(obviously) I decided to capture the closest enemy one. So Targeted station(can't remember which one exactly) engaged cloak and jumped in. Attack went like clock work brought shields down and waited for SOS and then docked - successfull capture (and got EP's for it thank you SC). But when I re-launch I relised none of my crew would move around the ship and most of them were reporting as radiated.

After a little more research I found 3 of the 4 decks of the ship are now readiated and most of my crew are glowing a healthy green. Having only 1 radiation ctrl unit on board I have to dock and buy two more to clean up all the radiation.

So now I'm half way between Lyrius and Gamma1 and running out of fuel and money. My mining drones are on Lyrius(probably just about full now) and I can not get back to retrieve them

God I feel stupid!

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

Stupidity/Bravery this is a fine line.

So now I'm half way between Lyrius and Gamma1 and running out of fuel and money. My mining drones are on Lyrius(probably just about full now) and I can not get back to retrieve them

God I feel stupid!

Perhaps you could park the CC and fly a fast shuttle all the way back to the drones to unload em manually. I dunno how far shuttles can go on a single charge...havent tried yet.