Problem with object viewing on planets

Alright the only problem I'm encountering so far is viewing planetary objects to conduct surface ops. I don't have a 3dfx card so I'm running this game in software mode but the problem I'm having is when observing planets and zooming in on a specific zone to hit targets of opportunity the objects are not showing. I have applied the Mappak but still cannot see objects on the surface.

------------------

"Do not fear the unknown, embrace it."

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard

I've had this problem before as well, usually it's just the mission zone overlay somehow gets lain off center, to fix it I have to zoom all the way out and sometimes even exit and reobserve the planet. and if all else fails I leave and restart BC3K. Hope this helps.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

I kind of have a similar problem so I'm putting it in this thread. If this should be somewhere else feel free to move/delete this. My post is more of a curiosity issue I guess. My problem differs slightly because I can't see any planets while in tacops (space). They are there and I can zoom in and "observe" them. But even prior to the final zoom before I click "observe", the planet is still the little square with no image. No bitmaps / textures.. Also when I zoom in on other ships to highest zoom level they too are still just little square boxes. Game functions completely normal so it's not an issue. I also know it originally worked a few "game hours" ago. I can confirm this by loading past saved games. Starting new games also makes them come back. I also own two computers with different graphics cards (Voodoo3 and Diamond330) and the results are identical if I load the "saved" game with the problem on either system so chances are it's not system related. I'm not too concerned about it and am too far into the game to want to start over for something that is only cosmetic. My reason for posting is merely curiosity to find out if anyone else has seen it?; Has anyone else fixed it?; Or most importantly.. do I have a configuration / masking set somewhere I don't know about?? Maybe I switched something by accident somewhere along the way. I'm assuming not because I kind of remember about when it happened.

One day I fired up a game I knew I had saved it while parked outside Mercury. But when I fired up the game, the image was earth. At first I thought I had loaded the wrong game. But closer observation showed the label as Mercury. So I tacop'd to other regions (by way of probes already in place) and noticed every planets images were earth, but had correct labels. So I decided to shut down the game / computer and restart everything. Fired up again showed no "multiple" earths. But what I didn't notice at that time was there was no "anything" as it is now. So somewhere in there is when they went away, but didn't notice until some time later.

2.09 released over 2.08 on 2.0 cdrom

map pack

never screwed with cheats

chiz

Never has been a problem with viewing. You can't see any portion of a planet unless you zoom to it. Thats what those white boxes in the view are. You won't find anything outside of a mission zone. And if you click too far in, you have zoom back out. For that, use the keyboard zoom keys to fine tune your zoom. The problem is that the mouse zoom is very high and can take you to the ground and past any buildings or objects.

It was designed to do just that. For fine tune zooming, use the keyboard. If you get lost, use the NUMLOCK 5 key to reset the view and start over.

As for different textures etc, dunno. Never saw that problem before. Sounds like a corrupted game.

Ok, problem solved. Just had to apply an executable file in the BC directory to jumpstart the Mappak. Thanx.

------------------

"Do not fear the unknown, embrace it."

cmdr. Kron

ICV Vanguard