Damn Speedy little Fighters

Those little buggers get on my nerves, they go so fast that your weapons can keep up with them (don't know why they do it, they can't shoot either). Only way I've found for your ship to keep up with them is with the autopilot, problem is that the autopilot turns to damn slow. I wanna know if there's anyway that I can go as fast as the autopilot goes without the autopilot? I don't think there is but I just thought I'd check to make sure.

------------------

Commander Zeke Stone,

UCV Guardian - "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"

**War is never won or lost, only fought**

[This message has been edited by Commander Zeke Stone (edited 07-17-2000).]

Use the afterburners to catch up, though it won't speed up as fast as the AP will.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Zeke Stone:

problem is that the autopilot turns to damn slow.

Get used to it Cmdr, as I believe the flight dynamics in BCM are going to be much more accurate, thus your ship will turn slower even with you in manual control.

heh heh, what I usually do, if there are no other hostiles in the area is get a tractor beam lock ASAP, but I will try the match speed command. Thanks everyone.

------------------

Commander Zeke Stone,

UCV Guardian - "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"

**Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job** -- Douglas Adams

• 2 weeks later...

if the situation permits, why not just jump right into one of your turrets and fire manually?

------------------

Cmdr. Hidama Hasaki

GCV Kurai

1st Squadron, SIN Wing

Stationed, Starstation Wrath

ICQ 28215391, GMT-5

=Wraith Fleet=

Guest aramike01

quote:

if the situation permits, why not just jump right into one of your turrets and fire manually?

Because (recalling from another, long past thread) certain beta-testers didn't advise the SC to disable the turrets' auto-centering off in time for the last patch. biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

quote:

Because (recalling from another, long past thread) certain beta-testers didn't advise the SC to disable the turrets' auto-centering off in time for the last patch.

Well, THIS Beta Tester wouldn't have recommended removing that particular function. Timing was not the problem. Removing characteristics from the game just to suit a certain style of play IS the problem. You should play the game that the developer gives to you, not what you wish you had. Just my Humble Opinion though. Others surely do not share my views all of the time. wink.gif

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Bad? You ain't seen BAD, But WE'RE Coming!

Guest aramike01

Darn. Couldn't find that thread. It was called "Auo-Centering" and the SC mentioned that it could've been easily disabled if certain "lazy testers" has let him know about it. biggrin.gif

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

I remember that thread. Tac was in it also I beleive. Perhaps if we all of us remember enough snippets we can perform the ritual suicide ceremony. (Hehe, sorry, reference from a sci fi book I read long ago.)

But I do remember it and the fact that Derek could enable/disable that characteristic with a few keystrokes. Wish he had. Yes it's a wish but not a really loud one. I know you are working on BCM. Besides; Derek says they work differently now. That intrigues me. I always thought they were very accurate if you were close enough. Though they do have to compensate for the ship constantly changing position in an AP "follow target" mode. IE the pta just gets its lock and starts firing when the ship decides to pitch or yaw to follow the target causing a recalculation. biggrin.gif"><P>ThatAgain with the disclaimer. I wish it had happened but it's too late now.

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Guest aramike01

Honestly, it really doesn't matter all too much to me. I like the idea of the BC's point-defense being automated. And, for the most part, I command my BC via TACOPS when in battle. Hell, to me, TACOPS is the best thing since, well, the wheel! wink.gif

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

quote:

I like the idea of the BC's point-defense being automated.

Heavens. I hope you don't think I was saying PTA should be manual. Of course not. As above I find them quite accurate and deadly. Only when the ship changes position in some way do they have to recalculate. Even then it is quick.

The moot smile.gif point was that if you wanted to man a turret manually the auto center characteristic detracts from that. Hard to shoot at guys when the turret tries to center all the time. smile.gif Then again I am a keyboard player.

------------------

Commander Chavik

Spectre Fleet

ICV Phoenix

Official BC3K Tester

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 08-03-2000).]

quote:

But I do remember it and the fact that Derek could enable/disable that characteristic with a few keystrokes. Wish he had. Yes it's a wish but not a really loud one. I know you are working on BCM. Besides; Derek says they work differently now. That intrigues me. I always thought they were very accurate if you were close enough. Though they do have to compensate for the ship constantly changing position in an AP "follow target" mode. IE the pta just gets its lock and starts firing when the ship decides to pitch or yaw to follow the target causing a recalculation. Fun to watch. Annoying to experience sometimes.

Its different because of multiplayer. Apart from the auto-centering, the turret has an auto-lead target and an ATAS (Auto Target Acquisition System) cluster. This allows it to quickly pick out the nearest and most dangerous threat (like the PTA) and you can just fire at it. Or you could use the TACSCAN. It how has a TACSCAN/CVD mode too.

quote:

Honestly, it really doesn't matter all too much to me. I like the idea of the BC's point-defense being automated. And, for the most part, I command my BC via TACOPS when in battle. Hell, to me, TACOPS is the best thing since, well, the wheel!

The reason the changes were made is due to multiplayer in which a player can occupy any of the slots in a craft. So, in the case of the MK3 BC, you could have 3 different people manning the 3 turrets, while someone is flying, another doing target acquisition in tacops etc. Each capital ship can have up to 16 slots (some fighters even have 2 so that you can even be a marine sitting in front of a view of outer space, while praying that the moron piloting, actually makes it to your drop-off destination.

Didn't we discuss this before? Or did I put this in my dev diaries? (must have