what to do?

Guest Shield

Guest Shield

Hi. I'm new to this message board but not to the BC3k saga (though I am a bit behind, obviously.)

I purchased the game from Electronic Boutique back in 1998. I tried fooling with it for a while straight out of the box. When I went on the WWW for tech support, I became immersed in Battlecruiser: The Soap Opera!

After a several 1.x patches (I believe that 1.09 was the last one), I got it working ok.

The reality of having to finish my thesis

before age 40 started to set in, so back in the box the game went for about a year and a half.

Now, with my thesis done and some time on my hands, I decided to go back and revisit my tempermental starship simulation game. After an hour or so online, I found that I was apparently the proud owner of an orphaned game!

My question is, what do I need to download to make my copy work now? I've seemed to have formatted all of my version 1.x patches into oblivion. Can I still download those original patches, or am I wasting my

time? Is there a patch to upgrade to version 2.0? Can I get a CD of the working 1.0 version mailed to me?

I've read through the FAQ's, but I'm still a little confused about what the "latest" version is. Most of the chatter on the boards seems to be about a version 2.x.

Believe me, I'm not trying to make trouble or start a flame war or anything, I just want to play what promises to be the greatest space sim of all time...but it has to be playABLE.

P.S. Now, my old version 1.0 won't work AT ALL. Here are my system specs:

Intel PII 400 MHz

Trident 3D Image 9750 PCI/AGP 4MB

SB compatible PCI sound

256MB RAM

quote:

My question is, what do I need to download to make my copy work now?

You might be able to get up to 1.08 if you can find some old files on servers. I wouldn't recommend it though. 2.0x is so much more. 1.x was trashed/abandoned/improved in favor of 2.x. (total history snipped but available)

Find 2.x and purchase it. Get the patches and get up to 2.09. You will be amazed! smile.gif

Commander Chavik

"Yeah I know"

Trot back down to your local EB and purchase V2.08 would be the easiest solution. I gather that you are not located in the United States. If you are, then check out your local software stores and pick up V2.0. Should cost you around $9.00 here in the states. That truely is the best answer for now.

------------------

Rattler, Insurgent One

Commander-In-Chief,

Insurgency

Official Tester,Battlecruiser Series

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Bad? You ain't seen BAD, But WE'RE Coming!

Guest aramike01

What those guys said. biggrin.gif

V1.0X is out of date, so do yourself a big favor and pick up 2.00, then use the free patches to go to 2.09. You'll find that it's well worth it!

PS-If you can't find it on store shelves, take a look online.

Edit: Moving this to New Commanders Forum, as it seems to have more newbie questions than tech questions.

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 08-24-2000).]

Welcome to the forums. I hope you can get v2.X for a good price. Only cost me $10 Canadian.

------------------

Commander Zeke Stone,

UCV Guardian - "Never Give Up, Never Surrender"

**Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job** -- Douglas Adams

Welcome aboard, and as the others said, try to pick up v2 somewhere.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.