PTA Targeting Question

Whisper

Good question. I rely alot on my PTA. More as an offensive weapon than defensive. I only use the IOD for a finnishing shot, or when the traget doesn't move and is in my field of view. Anyway, this is what the manual says:

code:

The PTA system selects targets based on range and threat priority. It creates a list

of all targets within range and fires the turrets at the hostile ones it acquires. This

means that sometimes it will run out of ÔÇÿslotsÔÇÖ for all the hostile targets and it will

appear to ignore hostile targets that are close by. This is normal and is a flaw in

the system. In fact, sometimes its slots will consist of non-hostile targets as the

friendly fire avoidance code continues to filter targets. In these instances, hostile

targets will continue to fire at you until the system frees up a slot and assigns it to

a hostile target. The PTA system has 24 slots for target acquisition.

I would think missiles have a higher threat priority than crafts/fighters. And I suppose close range gives a higher priority too. But I don't know for sure. Just common sense.

Hope that helps

------------------

Cmdr. Rico Jansen

GCV de Ruyter, Genesis (Moon)

16 Squadron Leader - Prime Fleet, Gamma Wing, 1st Squadron

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 10-08-2000).]

When I play it seems to target missiles that are targeting my ship first then fighters... Can't remember what it does for capships, I'll have to go see.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

1st thing I do is turn on the weapons mask.. Unless it's my imagination that seems to free up some slots for the PTA. 2nd is that there are some blind spots for the PTA and the BC needs to roll to move the target into an area that the PTA can cover. Hot seat to the PTA turret and you can get a feel for its area of coverage.

Not a direct answer to your question but the PTA will shoot at things in its coverage arc.

------------------

Commodore Wold

ICV-Drakr, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Commanding Officer, Spectre HQ

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

I love my PTA. Most the time it gets the job done. I haven't had much instances with using up all my *slots*, usually anything that come near me is good as dead. Tho I admit I have had some very close calls smile.gif.

BTW I don't think my PTA every fired on a friendly.