The game runs slowly

Guest j.w.pepper

J.W., Your first problem is the onboard video. It's a vanilla TNT. Not TNT2 or Geforce. If you've alloted 32mb of RAM to the video in your BIOS, then I feel for you cwm33.gif

You should disable your onboard video and install your old V330. The bus between your system RAM and your onboard video chip is SLOW. Most likely it's only 66mhz.

The bus between the RAM and video processor on the V330 is much faster. Also from the faq: Regardless of how much memory your 2D card has, BC3K will only report the first 8MB...

Next. Get rid of WinME. What about DS's reply did you not understand? BC3K is a DOS game that runs in the Windows environment. WinME has little support for DOS games!

--- The following is for Win9x only. You're on your own for WinME ---

You can also do the following at your own risk

You need to run scandisk. Then defrag your HD with the virtual mem turned off. Reboot and set the min and max virtual mem to 256MB. Then go into your System.ini and find the heading [vcache] and add the following lines:

MinFileCache=32768

MaxFileCache=32768

ChunkSize=512

The preceding tips are "AT YOUR OWN RISK"

If you don't know what you're doing you can do some serious damage. Check out www.speedguide.net for information on how to speed up everything windows.

Now that you have faster video processing (i.e. the v330) and have tweeked your system (at your own risk), turn off the background music.

The problems you are experiencing are a combination of factors:

a system that was never designed to play games. most systems designed around motherboards with onboard (read: built in) video and audio are intended for business apps (word processing/spreadsheet) and/or internet access. Not Games.

BC3K's AI is a CPU HOG. This has always been a known part of the game. If all your onboard hardware is bottlenecking your system RAM, you can expect the game to run slow when you are playing ACM.

The cpu has to process a good amount of the graphics (in software mode), fight for it's share of memory bandwidth, track multiple NPC's across multiple regions, run the AI, and still deal with your keyboard/joystick inputs.

This is why it's very important that your peripherals (video, sound, etc.) be able to handle their own workload. The AI process alone is enough of a workload for any cpu. If you have a system with sub-par parts you will get sup-par performance.

It's just like the difference in racing a tweeked out muscle car against it's stock from the factory model. The custom muscle car will be faster.

If I were you and had the money, I'd go and get a Voodoo5 5500 PCI video card (the prices have dropped as of late). This will help A LOT. It would be better to have a fast PCI based video card than to rely on the slow AGP to system RAM bus.

------------------

Insurgent Two, Akira

ICV Nevermore, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Minister of War,

Insurgency

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

ICQ 13379858

[This message has been edited by Akira (edited 11-25-2000).]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Silence:

I was having the same type of problems, then I experimented and turned off the sounds, without any sounds on it works just fine, and who really needs to hear that another missiles has been launched at you
biggrin.gif

I think the problem lies somewhere else...

If you turn off game sound, it usually has

NO or very very little effect on the game performance, simply because most Soundcards

have an own chip responsible for sound processing / playback.

But can it be that your SOUNDCARD CAUSES ERRORS?

(Something wrong with the I/Q or termination (IRQ) ?)

A somewhat ****ed up device or software brings every machine somewhere close to halt,

I made different experiences in that direction :]

Did you hear "side noises" or distorted sounds when playing BC with sound ?

Best regards

------------------

Commander Steele

GCV Terra Kresta, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wraith Fleet/SIN Wing

Stealth - the only thing between you and your enemy's guns