Thank you Derek

BCFreak13

hehe, Charles gave the condensed version

....anyway, how do you feel about naval carrier based, take-offs and landings?

...or the ability to sneak in under radar?

Those are my crumbs for the day.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Oh Man...

It's just like trying to quit smoking.

You get one little taste, and you just want more!

Nice to hear about the speed up. The Demos run fine on my system, but more speed can't hurt.

It's so nice to see the remaining issues are so few and far between. You seem to be nailing them as fast as they pop up. I know this next question is about as annoying as asking 'Are We There YET?!' But I'm gonna try anyhooo, how close do you feel? Don't give me a date! I don't want to hear a number or a month, but do you feel on top of things? Do things look good. Just the general feel. That's all I want. (Getting the demos really helped with the cravings, but I'm still an addict, so sue me!)

And I'm astonished that no one has uttered a peep as far as I can tell about the big surprise on the 16th. My guess is a single player mission to be realeased after BCM ships. I know, my deductive powers are freaky. What can I say, it's a gift.

quote:

It's so nice to see the remaining issues are so few and far between. You seem to be nailing them as fast as they pop up.

Yep. The wrap-up stage of any game development is the most horrendous. Thats usually when things seamingly pop up out of nowhere. Don't take my word for it. Just take a look at the FIXED entries in the VCF for updates since 2.3.06, and you'll see what I mean.

The testers are the best. No question about it. Sure, we have some harrowing moments, but believe me when I tell you this, if BCM ships with any bug, it won't be because we weren't looking. I mean, these guys find the most obscure things. And remember, NONE of them are professional testers - just avid gamers with a penchant for pain (BCM is painfully complex). e.g. just today, Pugwash reported that the cargo bay space entry for the shuttles, was incorrectly displayed in Tactical, while in fact, I had the correct entry in the INI file. I mean, who would even have thought of checking that?

Gameplay tweaking is also a critical factor and which can cause notorious problems such as feature creep. e.g it occured to me that a marine was going to die tired, just going from his base to attack a hostile one. So, I had to put in the IDP feature from GCO, in order to alleviate this problem.

Another eg. it became necessary to treat naval carriers as valid launch/dock platforms or it would be difficult to prosecute land/sea targets from land bases that are far away. And of course, you need to dock with the carriers to arm/repair as if it were a base/station. So, I implemented that too.

Then there's this business with realistic gravity effects. Those NPCs get their crafts into a stall state and crash into the ground frequently, especially when prosecuting low altitude ground targets. So, a revised ground avoidance and the concept of a hard deck, had to be implemented - along with higher stall speeds. Now dynamic waypoints have to be implemented (currently in progress) so that they don't stray too far from their mzones, run out of power and ditch the craft...thereby littering the game world and impacting performance.

...and the list goes one. Now you know why I started a Beta program back in 10/00. Can you imagine if I had started it two months prior to shipping, like most companies?!?!

quote:

I know this next question is about as annoying as asking 'Are We There YET?!' But I'm gonna try anyhooo, how close do you feel? Don't give me a date! I don't want to hear a number or a month, but do you feel on top of things? Do things look good. Just the general feel. That's all I want.

Its ready when its ready; and right now, it ain't ready

quote:

And I'm astonished that no one has uttered a peep as far as I can tell about the big surprise on the 16th.

heh, I noticed that too. But you may want to check GNN again.

quote:

My guess is a single player mission to be realeased after BCM ships. I know, my deductive powers are freaky. What can I say, it's a gift.

Wrongo!

quote:

And I'm astonished that no one has uttered a peep as far as I can tell about the big surprise on the 16th.

Well, I had thought about saying something, but didn't want to blow any surprise the SC has cooking, but since people are taking pot shots at guessing, I guess it is open game. What I am thinking has something to do with the interview that the Supreme Commander had with Electronics Boutique.

Here is an excerpt I found most intriguing.

quote:

We expect to promote that project to full-blown dev status once BCM ships this summer. There may be a side project, a spin-off of BCM for the casual gamer, in the interim, but this has yet to be finalized and will have no impact on either BCM or GCO.

And here is the excerpt from the Galcom News Network

quote:

On BCM's Gold announcement, expect another announcement, related to

...a pair of trigger happy Elite Force Command operatives

....a team of renegade Insurgents

.....a military outpost under siege

......a misplaced experimental craft

.......one major nightmare

I did happen to notice this after reading the interview-but chose not to mention anything about what I believe is cooking.

SC,

I believe that you are going to begin a single player "simple" version of Battlecruiser, as a spin-off for the casual gamer. That is my theory. And I don't blame you one bit, it would open up to a wider market as well.

I didn't mean to blow any surprise, but you did kind of give it away if that is what it is. If that's not it then I don't know what the hell you have up your sleeve...

Well that's my pot-shot at the prize.

Actually $ilk, I think I figured it out.

BCM.... THE MOVIE.

Brad Pitt stars as a trigger happy Elite Force Command operative up against the odds. He travels to a far off Military outpost, only to find Kirsten Dunst under siege trying to protect an experimental craft.

John Lithgow plays the evil Doctor Curtis who has joined the rebel force and wants the craft for himself

Man... I should work for Hollywood.

Guys guys you are all going about it the wrong way!!! You guys certainly don't expect SC to divulge any information to you all right?

I've got an idea.... Why don't we all buy him a pint each of Tennants Extra (9% alc content, u know the stuff we hardcore drinkers drink. I betcha after the tenth pint he will even tell you all his life story!!!

p.s. if each and every one of you buy him that drink and he doesn't finnish it please send all the unopen cans to my house and i'll deal with the 'disposal'

Hey, did anyone notice this:

quote:

On
BCM's Gold announcement
, expect another announcement, related to

...a pair of trigger happy Elite Force Command operatives

....a team of renegade Insurgents

.....a military outpost under siege

......a misplaced experimental craft

.......one major nightmare

IIRC, that bold section used to be "July 16".

So, I read into it either one of two things:

1. SC is hinting he expects it to go gold by July 16
  2. SC knows the gold date is going to overshoot July 16 and has ambiguified (new word!) the date

Gee, that sort of covers the whole calendar, doesn't it?

A FPS BC shooter would be cool. Particularly if it meant I could finally wander round a cruiser (on one occassion I and some other commanders semi-eloquently ranted on the need to walk our own decks before SC told us to go walk our decks to the nearest airlock, but that's another story... ) But who knows? 'Nuff speculation.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

Kush you gave me an idea, maybe it is just an announcement of a really cool movie he rented over the weekend and is going to describe it in detail?

I think my theory is pretty close, he has told us what it's not... what other possibilities could there be?

And keeping on topic with the title of the thread. Thank you Derek for keeping us in freaking suspense...

Well $ilk, so far SC hasn't said you're wrong. I still like my idea better.

And in keeping with the topic, I have to say thank you Derek for taking so much time to get it right. My heart wants you to release it now, but my head knows it helps everyone that you work out all the bugs you can before release. I actually really do appreciate this. I wish more developers did what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

A FPS BC shooter would be cool. Particularly if it meant I could finally wander round a cruiser (on one occassion I and some other commanders semi-eloquently ranted on the need to walk our own decks before SC told us to go walk our decks to the nearest airlock, but that's another story... ) But who knows? 'Nuff speculation.

Thal would be the absolute COOLEST if we could physically roam the decks!