Is there an overview available?

Guest ghostie

Guest ghostie

Sorry to bother you guys but I'm trying to get a feel for what this game is all about. I've been all over the website and looked through the forums but I'm still not clear on what the BC universe is all about. Does anyone know of a fan site that does a good job of summing it up? It seems that most of you guys have played various incarnations of the game and understand it but as a total newbie, I still don't know much more than what that big box at EB says.

Guest ghostie

I guess I was trying to shortcut having to actually play the game to see if it is suitable for our clan alliance to move into. The space sim we are playing is about dead and we have about 65 active members looking for something new. So, it has to be multiplayer and allow for space combat on a fighter to fighter basis instead of capital ship against capital ship. Thanks for responding, I'll download the demo so I can see the readme's.

65 players eh?

I don't+ want to insult any existing fleeter, but I think if that people want to join our world and play mp, they should form a fleet of another race, like the dreaded Ccredians, or Gammulans, or Valkerie. I think absorbing them in the current fleets would be greatly appreciated, but 65+ new players in a fleet would be unfare to the other fleets, and I do not think they would like to join many fleets (stick together).

If yes, then the current fleets will do anything to catch the most possible of them

...unless they think about making a raider squadron

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

The space sim we are playing is about dead...

Ok, just for our amusement, ... which superduped intense, mindblowing graphics, 'impossible AI', massive multiplayer online game are you playing that is going to bite the dust.

Hehe, I think you and your people can make it here. You should check the downloads page for BC3k. It has a link for the manual for the game.

Later this summer, BCM is coming out, but the limit on the public servers will be 16, and 64 players for the secure fleet access servers. We already have an intense RPG base here. It plays like a story, more like an epic. I think you should try looking into that in the meantime waiting for BCM, and it's MMOG sequal, GCO (Galactic Command Online). LINK: RPG DISCUSSION FORUM

For official use, if your 'clan' does decide to transfer here, you should decide on a caste, like military, mercenary, police, etc. And start refering to your group as either a 'guild', 'corporation', or something of the like.

It would be nice to have more users; I just can't wait for multiplayer! I hope to see you all out there. You made the right choice coming to Battlecruiser.

Also, about your last comments:

quote:

.....It has to be multiplayer and allow for space combat on a fighter to fighter basis instead of capital ship against capital ship.

Play the demo, and check the readme's and manual. This is much better than what you say. It isn't just capital ship vs. cap. ship. All your people can be fighter pilots if they wanted. But, there is so much more.

This IS more than a regular space sim. There are different 'job trees' like Commanders (cap ship, and [optionally] can control fighters, shuttles, ATV's, First Person), Elite Force Pilots (Space Fighters), Planetary Support Pilots (Planet Based Fighters, and Gunships), Marines (FPS [First Person Shooter] Style Action, and Tank/ATV's, and Spacewalking in Spacesuits), and possibly more.....

Much more is to come, and GCO is even planned to have naval combat in addition! I hope your people like the massiveness of this, the BC universe! There will be hundreds of 'planetary zones' (term used for each (1 million?)x(1 million?) Kilometer space in the game), and many more planets in BCM's full version.

You'll definitely need to read up on everything. Also, all your members will probably need to make sure they're systems are up to speed (SC says that the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS, are not to be ignored, and it really has become serious, with the amount of graphics invloved). This is a good choice, because the fanbase of BC is great, and this is one game that won't die out anytime soon.

Is AZ dead yet (no more stats)? And are there any people still playing Tachyon on-line? Those two games made me lose my social life a year ago.

Can't wait for BCM or especially GCO to come out so I can be a hermit again!!

Guest ghostie

Man, SC has a pretty good grip on what's going on in the gaming world, doesn't he? I was referring to Tachyon. Novalogic is doing their best to kill it by randomly shutting off the servers for a week at a time. lol The players I spoke of comprise 5 squads who would prefer to be independent of one other. Some of the guys formed an alliance to play in the beta of another mmog, so if necessary, we could probably do the same here. I appreciate your comments and I see my other pc just finished the episode 1 download so I better get busy

What clan are you in? the UFO clan? Is Firestorm still active in it? In the beginning Tachyon was fun but then people caught on that a)you can outrun swarms B) latteral thrusts was the best way to fly. In the end only those with good reflexes and low ping will win....hmmmmm how I miss that game.

p.s. toldja guys that I'm a space sim addict

5 squads eh?

They should join 5 existing fleets, if ever you definitely want to stay in BCM.

Look around, especially in this topic, and find the most appropriate fleet for each squadron.

May I be first to say...

JOIN THE ORION FLEET!!!

The Orion fleet is the best fleet around. The most powerful. The most organised. The most ressourceful. The one with the biggest potential. The most active. The one to choose to add victories to your list. the one to choose to have fun. The one to choose to be respected as part of the ELITE!!

LOL, well, here comes the fleet propaganda, associated with newbies coming into the system. (And me fighting it, almost all by myself....... )

I love the idea of fleets, because you'll have someone on your back, but if you're such a small set of groups, I don't think you'd all be used to getting orders from the command chain.

It comes down to personal preference, and you should stay active (as in, not go missing for a couple months, without notice) if you're going to join a fleet. Depends on how strict and 'elite' the fleet is, because some (most? all?) of the fleets are sorta strict, in the sense that they just might need their troops one day in multiplayer, and wouldn't like it when everyone seems to have disappeared, without notice. :P

Even though Orion Fleet is the "most organized, most powerful, etc." fleet, they need active members, and that's where they get their power from. Like I said, it's your personal preference; hell, to tell you the truth, when I was a newb, Orion fleet was the one I was going to join, but I decided to be the indie I am today.......

---

You can be mercenaries, assassins, and raiders, keeping completely independent from everyone else, and still keep your group(s).

Me and a few indies (that's what we call everyone who isn't in GalCom, EarthCom, or The Insurgency) have been trying to form 'guilds'/'corporations' that would be just like a clan in a sense. If you want to be independents, you can go ask us in the Misc. Race/Caste forum.

Well, good luck. Multiplayer is coming out soon after BCM comes out (est. End Of Summer). I really hope to see you there.

You should start reading the manual, too. It has the main history of the game, but like I said, you also might like the RPG's. A lot of "Unofficial" history has happened there, and some major battles, we've been planning to re-enact in multiplayer. See the RPG Discussion Fourm.

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Guest ghostie

Fendi, you must have played in the early days. Your name sounds familar, too. Did you post on the old Myk boards? Firestorm was slagged out of existence but UFO just reformed, almost like a class reunion. Other than the occasional visit all the old squads are in other games now. Show them a space combat sim where they can climb into fighters and go at it and the grizzled vets will be coming out of the woodwork.

Heh, if your clan does decide to join, i would consider you guys to be an indie, cause like you said, you have 5 squads but they all act independently

another thing, if you like to be big an powerful and the whole bc universe shudders at you... join the gam military...

lol anyhow, good luck at finding a space sim for your clan...

General Fendi (FS)(UFO) at your service. Yup I still remember the Myk/Firestorm wars and boy the flame war was fun (lol).

I then moved to Allegience with some other people from Tachyon cause we got bored with the same thing over and over again.

BCM (or GCO) should be fun though cause if I ever get bored with being a commander I can always change into fps or something else. This game should kick a$$ especially when the multiplayer addon comes out so check it out.

p.s. I almost forgot my trademark "Kill me....I'm a Newbie"

So ghostie, are you the spokesperson for your entire group, or just one of several influential members? Either way, let me know and we'll talk.

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: Blades ]

Vultures. If you want a real fleet with real comraderie, take a look at the four available Insurgent fleets.

That is, only if you and your buddies can handle being the underdogs. The Insurgency is not for the faint of heart.

If you can't handle that, I suggest Orion Fleet. They're great for newbies that like to talk tough but never face a real challenge. Not to mention a JUST challenge.

my, my, my, what is this talk ? reminds me of the situation in Mankind (by cryo). i have a clan... sorry, a federal republic ( ) in this game, which i consider to "transplant" into GCO. we┬┤re just some 15 citizens, but i very much doubt that we will join any of the existing fleets, such vultures that you are

Sweet. Aramike, the mouthpiece of the Insurgency calls vultures. Well, better that than poachers, which is one of the things the Insurgency is most notorious for. Still, thats an entirely different discussion (And one we tend to have at least once a month ) to whats going on here.

You potential newbies have a choice. It's with an existing fleet, or you go the indie way. If you're gonna go with the fleets, make sure you pick the right one to go for. For instance, dont join any of the Insurgent Fleets if you dont take to humiliation too well. Dont go with Orion if you have a problem taking orders and grinning smugly as you devestate all your enemies. Dont be an indie unless you enjoy looking over your shoulder all the time, wondering if that 'contractor' of yours is here to pay your fee, or stick a vagrant up your tailpipe.

But in all seriousness, you really need to work out by yourselves exactly where you want to fit into this universe. I get the impression that if a lot of you are used to working together and have some sort of chain of command established, which would make the transition from being 'Top Dog' to a lowly cadet (At least initially) a bit hard to stomach. If thats the case, go indie. If not, well, look around gents, theres a lot of material for you to sift through. Just make sure that at the end of the day, you go where you feel you can be most effective.

And in case you havent already noticed, Orion and the Insurgency enjoy a special relationship that we are going to take full advantage of as soon as MP is here.

Cant wait.