BCM & the Immersion factor

Guest GZ

I also liked the bitmap cockpits and I know the immersion feeling you had, I felt it too. The only other game I had that feeling in was Aliens vs Predator and that was really just a simple FPS with not much gameplay, but the atmosphere was just wicked cool. Playing the marine, walking outside the complex into the rain and through the corridors, constantly looking over my shoulder, I felt like I was in the movie (Aliens is one of my alltime favorites btw) and gave me nightmares; and playing the Predator stalking the marines was so fun I wet myself. No, thats not a common problem....anymore But it did lose that feeling after a short time because it was just a simple FPS. I always felt immersed in BC2K.

I like the bridge chatter too, the only minor qualm I have about that is there is a part that you can clearly make out where a woman says "More power!". Not very loud, but loud enough to register, and its the only indication that its a repeated recording. It kinda takes away from the immersion feeling and I can't help wondering if that insatiable woman will ever have enough power! Man, you'd think she was your wife. "For the love of pete, I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE POWER WOMAN!!" I'd like the chatter back but it would be merciful if you could clip that part out.

As for the cockpits, one idea is you could take a 2D pic of a 3D image of the cockpit and have the view without having to render it in game. It's nice just having the view, I don't really need to look around. And then maybe full 3D cockpits could be added later, I don't mind taking small steps. I also wouldn't mind just using the old ones.

I think those things really played a major part in that immersion feeling. Well, thats just my $0.02 but I'm definitely for.

quote:

I like the bridge chatter too, the only minor qualm I have about that is there is a part that you can clearly make out where a woman says "More power!". Not very loud, but loud enough to register, and its the only indication that its a repeated recording. It kinda takes away from the immersion feeling and I can't help wondering if that insatiable woman will ever have enough power! Man, you'd think she was your wife. "For the love of pete, I DON'T HAVE ANY MORE POWER WOMAN!!" I'd like the chatter back but it would be merciful if you could clip that part out.

Hehe. I noticed that too. I found it annoying after a while (good thing SC turned down the volume in BCM), but that wasn't the only indication of a headache-inducing loop. Almost as annoying as the repeated requests for power was the repeated sound of someone saying "Aye."

I've never liked the voice acting in the BC games. In fact, some of it almost makes me laugh; the Tactical Officer sounds like Lisa Simpson with a blocked nose, and the Chief Engineer sounds like a cross between a robot and William Shatner: "Main Computer, IS damaged."

My 300th post. Yay!

[ 08-06-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive this dead thread. I was just thinking about the old bridge bitmap, and how much I liked it. I almost went and started a new thread, which would have been worse than reviving this one. I kinda wish I could just stick the old bridgeviewer bitmap into BCM.

Anyway, the real reason I revived this post was to ask the SC a question about the modeling of the ship interiors. There is a glitch in the E2 demo when you establish planetfall some of the ships graphics get messed up. The turrets apear raised above the ship, and part of the lower hull is shifted down a bit so there is a gap. Anyway, the result is that you can walk into that space in FP mode and look around what, guessing from the BC3000ad locations, would have been the troop deployment bad. It looks to me that they had actually begun to model some rooms, such as the one you can walk into because of the glitch in the demo. It had different skins than the rest of the ship, and part of it looked as if there was a door in the wall. I was wondering if I had guessed right, and this is the left over of a canned beginning to ship interior rendering, or if I was just insane.

This are some of the anomalies that are in the demos. They are just anomalies/bugs, whatever you want to call them, nothing more, and they don't appear in the game. Turrets go where they are supposed to go, same goes for the buildings.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

I think that you are referring to the docking bays (stations have them too, btw) that are holdovers from a time when SC planned to implement manual docking. The idea was nixed, but the ships and stations were already modeled, so the bays remained.

Guest fallengod

ok... if someone add the code in the game for the bitmap. i would do the cockpit art as a mod....how about adding "the code" it for the next patch so ppl can add what they want in your game.

and one more thing.

(hate to be a ass but.....)

space in bcm seam....nothing... if u look at a game like homeworld there space backgrond look colorful... i don't thing something like that is too hard to do and not take too much time.

and

i don't know why went in bcm went 10+ ship in the screen the game starting to lag... but in a game like homeworld u can have 100+ ship and it work fine on my 200mhz.

sorry for asking too much but hope u will look into those ideas

Space is nothing, don't you understand? In space there's about a maximum of one atom of matter per cubic meter, with the very very rare star/planet/moon/galaxy/nubula/whathaveyou thrown in. Have you seen those pictures of nubulae and such taken by the Hubble? In a lot of those, the different elements in them are given more color so you can actually see them...

quote:

Originally posted by fallengod:

ok... if someone add the code in the game for the bitmap. i would do the cockpit art as a mod....how about adding "the code" it for the next patch so ppl can add what they want in your game.

and one more thing.

(hate to be a ass but.....)

space in bcm seam....nothing... if u look at a game like homeworld there space backgrond look colorful... i don't thing something like that is too hard to do and not take too much time.

and

i don't know why went in bcm went 10+ ship in the screen the game starting to lag... but in a game like homeworld u can have 100+ ship and it work fine on my 200mhz.

sorry for asking too much but hope u will look into those ideas

Could it because HW doesn't even have AI to speak of? No wait!! Its probably because they are only updating a single space region. No wait!! Its probably because they're projected on a 3D iso plane. No wait!!!....arrrrrrrghhhh I give up. Damn noobs, you can't cuss 'em and you sure as hell can't shoot 'em.

Homeworld vs BCM. Pah! lay off the crack dude.

quote:

Typical noob. Doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. No. Siddown. You're not impressing anyone.

LOL, have you any idea what DYNAMIC UNIVERSE really is? IW2 universe is not even close to being dynamic. They can claim it is, but how many games claim they have the smartest and unpredictable AI. Don't even compare BCM to other space sims, BCM AI is trully dynamic that's why it takes a lot of resources to run it. Every single dot on your radar must decide what it will do on depending on the situation, and that's only what you see, what about the regions you don't see, you know how much things are going on there? You have no idea.

Guest fallengod

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Its probably because they're projected on a 3D iso plane.

i'm not saying BCM sux or anything...but it seem that most of the older space sim **LOOK** better than BCM if homeworld backgrond is just a 3D plane... why not add that to BCM

Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND? The background graphics in BCM rock. It actually looks like your IN SPACE. If you play any older, or even newer space sim games, most of the time it won't look like your in space. Even think of some relatively new space sim games (Freespace 2, Starlancer, Wing Commander Prophecy), their idea of a nebula is to give your screen a purple tint, cut your shields, and say "fight". In BCM, even flying to the first ACM mission in the first TOD, you notice the greatness of the immersion factor via graphics.

quote:

i'm not saying BCM sux or anything...but it seem that most of the older space sim **LOOK** better than BCM if homeworld backgrond is just a 3D plane... why not add that to BCM

I like it the way it is.

Besides, the BCM universe isn't sitting still. The planets are rotating around their suns, and the moons rotate around their planets. So why ruin a dynamic universe with a flat plane graphic?

This game is undefined, it is not a strategy game, not an action game, not an rpg, but a mix of all of them...SC is not trying to copy off of a game, homeworld, that in my opinion is MUCH worse than this...although I did have fun the 20 minutes it took me to get bored with it...

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Commander Blake ]