VCF

SpotSD

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this isn't exactally on topic... but

I was wondering approximatly how long it will take to produce all of the CD's, manuals,maps, etc.

(That is once all of the programming is completed)

Thanks,

A production time frame can run from 10-14 days, depending on volume. There is usually a rush fee if you want something like 5-7 days turnaround, depending on company.

Production for BCM encompasses the following

1. Obtain ISBN number (can't do box without it)

2. Obtain ESRB rating (can't do box without it)

3. Macrovision Safedisc contract (can't replicate without it)

4. Keyboard document (can't do layout without it)

5. Manual document (can't do layout without it)

6. Keyboard template layout

7. Manual layout

8. Box art + layout

9. CDROM art

10. Manual art (front/back graphics)

11. Box production

12. Keyboard template production

13. Manual production

14. CDROM replication (w/ SafeDisc encoding)

15. Packaging (CDROM goes in Tyvex sleeve;CDROM+keyboard sheet go in manual;manual is shrinkwrapped;shrinkwrapped manual+cdrom+keyboard sheet go in box tray; box tray goes in box; box is sealed; next box

All of the above, excluding the actual Gold master CDROM, go into production at any time during a game's production phase. The only issue is that the manual needs to reflect the game or you end up with a manual that has incorrect text, resulting in a massive readme file which then goes on the CDROM.

It is not uncommon to have all production materials sitting in a warehouse and awaiting the Gold master CDROM.

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

The only thing I am worrying about is the safedisk. This damn program screws up many games. Personaly I have run into 3 games already where I had safedisk problems, went to the games forums and saw that they were flooded with safedisk problems, majority being people unable to start the game because safedisk logo would come on and then drop them to desktop. I just see it as a ridiculous and unneeded problem. Those who want to copy the game will get around it anyway and those who want to play it legit will just have problems starting the game with it. It's ridiculous.

Soback, most of the people with safedisk problems have cheap CD-ROMS. Thats what you get when you bargain anything (Or even if you buy some high-dollar mfrd computers). I buy only Creative and HP drives (Despite the fact that I have a major beef with HP over their piss-poor customer service and support)... never had any problems with safedisk. I've also had BTC, USDrives, Mitsumi, Hitachi, and various other brands who aren't so trustworthy. Not only did those drives have copy protection problems, but many of them had 2-6 month lifetimes. If you have problems with copy protection, you should seriously think about upgrading.

Before you go telling me to go upgrade my computer you need to know what my computer is, so for your information:

P3 533 MHz, 133bus

128 RDRam

Voodoo 3 16mb (this will be upgraded)

and HP CD-ROM

So don't tell me that HP CD-ROMs are good because obviously they have some kind of problems with safedisk or it's the coding for safedisk or the game. So guess what happened to those 3 games. Well, 2 of them went back to the store. I just don't think that I should pay for the game, only to find out that this safedisk will not let me play it even though I have the legit copy right in my drive, it just makes me want to call the guy who's idea it was to incorporate this safedisk into the game and yell at him SO MUCH. What makes it even worse is that some guy would just download a program that lets you bypass safedisk, burn the game and play it with no problems whatsoever while I have to struggle with the legit copy, and I know that you can bypass safedisk very easily because I researched into that area after getting wronged like this. It would be the bottom of my day and probably feel like it for couple of months if I install BCM only to find out that safedisk logo and then my desktop staring at me again. Also, don't tell me that it's my system as when I visit the games forums for support I see majority of posts complaining about the same problem that I have with safedisk it's just ridiculous. My latest example is Europa Universalis. It's virtually unplayable out of the box, latest patch is v1.09 but I can't play 1.09 because of safedisk, that leaves me with v1.07 (out of the box). What do you think is going to happen to this game? I am taking it back to the store by the end of this week. I guess if they don't want my money (the legit customer) but rather have some hacker bypass safedisk, upgrade to v1.09 and play it without bugs and no problems then it's their choice.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Obtain ESRB rating (can't do box without it)

I was curious as to how they assess this. Do you provide them with a details of the game content and they make a decision based on that, or does someone from ESRB actually play some of the game and make their own judgement (much like film censors)?

BTW thanks for the continuing VCF updates, the WIP section just got slashed in the last one

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

What makes it even worse is that some guy would just download a program that lets you bypass safedisk, burn the game and play it with no problems whatsoever while I have to struggle with the legit copy.

I could be wrong, but isn't it legal to make backup media? So as long as you owned the full game you could make another copy for your own use that bypassed safedisk? Maybe that counts as changing the program and violates some other contract. I've been lucky so far - my unbranded CD reader hasn't had problems yet.

Kalniel

Soback, calm down, alright? He's RIGHT, most if not ALL problems with SafeDisc are either (1) legacy drive related or (2) program conflicts

Lets see..

1. If you can afford to buy a new processor, you can afford to buy a better CD-ROM drive. Most gamers upgrade their CPU and RAM in order to run some apps. Other devices, such as CDROM, floppies etc, are NOT exempt from this equation.

2. Same rules apply for ANY program. If you're going to run a program, ESPECIALLY a game, you MUST disable ALL other progams, INCLUDING virus checkers etc.

Macrovision have a support area which deals with all of this.

If you have a SafeDisc problem, you can either (a) report it or (B) investigate it.

This is NO different from ANY other computer related problem. e.g. uses with motherboards based on VIA 686B Southbridge chipsets, have problems with SB Live! boards. How many people do you think have access to this article?

Didn't you EVER have to tweak your machine in order for it to work with some piece of hardware or software? Didn't you ever have to troubleshoot said machine?

And the use of SafeDisc is NOT free. I have to pay PER UNIT royalties. You think I want to blow money away for no reason at all?

Better yet, why would I opt for a deterrent which would only aggravate my gamers? The average BC gamer is computer savvy. As such, if there IS a problem with SafeDisc, they can sure as hell troubleshoot it. I never envisioned my install base as being a bunch of whinning lazy ass babies. As such, the LAST thing on my mind was "...oh, those babies are going to b*tch". The thought NEVER crossed my mind and as such, I'm not going to lose ANY sleep over it.

Anyone who is pissed about the use of SafeDisc, has the following choices:

1. Don't buy the game

2. If you have pre-ordered it, return it

3. If you buy it and have a problem with SafeDisc, report it, as normal. To every issue, there is a solution. The game is only 300MB on the CDROM. If there are programs which allow you to LEGALLY make copies of SafeDisc encoded CDROMs, use it. If there is such a program that allows you to LEGALLY bypass it. Use it. Its your CDROM and as such, you can what the heck you like with it. As long as it is LEGAL and within the limits of the EULA.

4. If you order it, take it home, copy it and try to return it. You'll be shocked because you will ONLY be given another copy of it.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

I was curious as to how they assess this. Do you provide them with a details of the game content and they make a decision based on that, or does someone from ESRB actually play some of the game and make their own judgement (much like film censors)?

Both. There is a 20 page questionnaire and a 2 page contract. You fill it out, send to them along with a check for the fee, as well as the CDROM (Beta or Gold are acceptable).

SC, me returning BCM, are you crazy? If I have a safedisk problem I will be bugging you untill you help me solve it and I can play. No way will that stop me, I have waited way too long for that.

quote:

SC, me returning BCM,

Actually, I wasn't talking about you specifically.

quote:

are you crazy?

uhm, thats debatable. But I think you already have the answer to that one.

quote:

If I have a safedisk problem I will be bugging you untill you help me solve it and I can play. No way will that stop me, I have waited way too long for that.

....as if I figured any different. heh

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

I could be wrong, but isn't it legal to make backup media? So as long as you owned the full game you could make another copy for your own use that bypassed safedisk?

Can be wrong, or not. Read Nintendo's policy on that. I'm sure the rest of the software (I'm talking any platform), should agree. Of course, it's up to the individual company to choose so, and they'd put it in their EULA if they did. And from there, it's the End User who's supposed to read the Agreement before they install the game (or play it at all; console games).

Let's see what the BCM End User License Agreement has to say:

quote:

........YOU CANNOT DUPLICATE, SELL, RENT, LEASE, SUB-LICENSE, TRANSLATE, COMMERCIALLY EXPLOIT, DISTRIBUTE THE SOFTWARE BY ANY MEANS, INCLUDING ON THE INTERNET, DISASSEMBLE, REVERSE ENGINEER, DECOMPILE, MODIFY, ALTER OR USE THIS SOFTWARE FOR ANY COMMERCIAL PURPOSE WHATSOEVER. YOU MAY ONLY COPY THE SOFTWARE FROM YOUR PURCHASED CD-ROM ONTO YOUR COMPUTER STORAGE DEVICE.........

Now, I'm not a legal advisor or anything, but it does say only copy to your computer storage device (hard drive)......

Safedisk is a popularly used (by software makers), to prevent games from being copied. It works with a CD-Key system, and if you burn the disc and try to play, it won't work.

Of course, I've learned that you can install those games with the burned extra. (As in, run the Install program, put in the correct CD-Key, and get it installed successfully. I've done it with Heavy Gear 2, The Sims, and other games, FYI.) You obviously can't play them with the burned copy (unless you hack it, and then you're breakin' the law...), so it's pretty useless to burn 'locked' CD's.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Actually, I've had a lot of luck using CloneCD 3 to make copies of stuff for LAN parties (I bought the game, and I want to be able to play it at my own house on my own computers... I have 5 of them on a network, btw). The downside is, you have to BUY it =(

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Scrivener ]

snipped from the vcf

code:

WORK IN PROGRESS AND DESIGN ISSUES

Misc WIP issues:

Craft eject, CTRL+E, testing and clean-up

WIP content issues:

Environmental combat soundfx

WIP graphics issues:

Temporarily disabled debris fields in planetary rings due to optimization issues that are pending

Temporarily disabled lens flares on planets

Debris field generation needs to use the newly optimized method of generating them, for about a 75% speed improvement

WIP new PTE2 terrain issues:

Creation of terrain craters by OTS weapon impact

Total planet destruction (alters topology) by RANDOM weapon impact

Terrain vegetation can now be enabled (tree models completed) and tested

WIP Tacops issues:

Team waypoint setting on planets

OTS missile launch support on new terrain

From what I can tell here, a majority of the work is basically tweaking a few items here and there and enabling certain things.

Will there be any further updates or will

BCM GOLD!!!

Be a complete surprise?

It does seem like there are not that many things to do.. however we aren't programmers (most of us) nor software developers (most of us) and these things could be very hard to do...

I think it would be best if the SC kept it a surprise

The last bugs and wip issues are generally the hardest to close.

It's like radioactivity... if it takes a 100 years for disintegrate half of 1kg of radioactive material, it will still take a 100 years to disintegrate the half of the remaining... the "half-life" factor...

Of course, I could be wrong.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Take a look at Ebgames

They still say 09-03-01 as release date!

Right now we are 6 days away from that.

Usually SC has the Ebgames update the release date by pushing it back 2 weeks or so when we get this close.

Is it going to get pushed back, tonight, tomorrow, Friday!

Maybe all of a sudden a BCM goes Gold notification!

Only the SC knows! Or is the SC going to give us all a big surprise!

Just gives me more time to practice killing Insurgents and the like!

...it'll be a surprise. Even to me, if it ships on 09-03-01. Maybe EB knows something that I don't.

Anyway, I'm deliberately not going to update the VCF once BCM goes Gold internally. So, once you read about it in on GNN, it will be a surprise.