VCF

SpotSD

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

The Sabre rifle target sight can be used to identify targets like the LR12. The ident range is 1000
k
m

Um... whoa? I would've thought planetary curvature would kinda limit that. Sure hope you can't shoot 1000 kilometers.

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

quote:

Um... whoa? I would've thought planetary curvature would kinda limit that. Sure hope you can't shoot 1000 kilometers.

It is for IDENTIFYING targets (just like the VCF says), since you do not have the benefit of a Tacscan radar system in fp mode. Just because you can point the crosshair at something and know what it is, does not mean that should fire at it. If you want to waste your ammo, go ahead.

And while you're at it, if you actually READ the appendix, you will see that even the LR12 rocket used by the Sabre and LR12 launcher, do not have that kind of range.

And since when did I have to model planetary curvature? Are you mad?

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Are you mad?

Heeheeheehee. Yea... er, what? Oh, no, of course not.

I just was wondering if that "km" was right and not a typo. 1000km struck me as a pretty huge distance. I mean, from Erie to Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania is probably ~160 km. I can't envision a rifle sight picking up a target even that far, let alone ~5x that distance. But hey, its the 31st century, who knows...

SC, thanks for continuing to update the VCF for it's avid readers like myself. (Though I seem to have missed the hit detection bit). About the packaging, I understand it, but I expected a jewel case. (BC2.0 had one) No biggy, though.

quote:

Well, I was using real life to try to get a mental image of its range that I could relate to. And somehow, I totally didn't notice the Sabre rifle was for space. Wasn't paying the best of attention this morning, it seems. Sorry.

And it ALL boils down to you not reading the vast resources that I have made available.

Next time you tell a newbie to RTFM, think TWICE about it.

Peace, SC, everyone. I'll try to keep my thoughts a little clearer next time around and (hopefully?) avoid a replay of this. It seems I was reading this morning without really reading/comprehending. Please chalk up my lapse to still-rattled nerves from yesterday's attack.

And, to echo Urza's sentiments, thanks for continuing to update the VCF for it's avid readers like myself who still manage to ask dumb questions anyway, and taking the time out to tell us so.

Oddball VCF question for SC: I like the VCF's structure and function. Is that being created by some application from a third-party vendor, and if so, whom? Or was it a home-grown application you cooked up for managing it? Or perhaps I'm mistaken and the management application is "ye old Windows Notepad" (I checked the HTML source and didn't see any "branding")?

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

I am the only person responsible for the VCF, FAQ etc and all similar docs. Its plain old HTML. But I don't use Notepad, I use Homesite.

Oh, if you checked the source, you'd see that its pure HTML. None of that nonsensical garbage that MS Frontpage stuffs in HTML files. I look at some of Gallion's appendix HTML files, and I whince. Don't take my word for it, take a look at one of them. Thank God I only have to make minor editions to those and/or send him the source material he uses or I'd just go stark raving nuts looking at the adulterous bloat.

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

tell me how you put a fixed width on the boards and cells

I may be able to assist you there. Look at the HTML source code for this page, for instance.

You will find, in the TABLE tags, TR (table row) and TD (table data, or cell) tags. One of the attributes you can attach to the TD tag (along with the TABLE tag itself) is the "width" attribute. You can give it an absolute width, which tells how many pixels wide the cell can be, or as a percentage of the table width, which means that the cell will try to occupy the given percentage of the overall table width. I think browsers are allowed to adjust these slightly for display purposes. Anyway, you will notice that the forum screen uses a percentage width on its TD tags of 18% for the first cell (our name & "rank"). This means that as you adjust the width of your browser window, the cell will adjust width too (it isn't "fixed") but will maintain a width approximately 18% of the total width of the table its in.

Examples (Epsilon 5, look in the HTML source for this page for the text "LOOK HERE E5", my table code begins shortly below it):

With TD width="25%":

25% cellfills up rest

With TD width="50%":

50% cellfills up rest

With TD width="75%":

75% cellfills up rest

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

That's interesting, but I can do that in the composers with cute menus

The thing is, I have nothing in particular against the tools I'm currently using, but Jaguar told me it was the best thing, and I thought I would give it a try, but I stop at the most basic elements of a good webpage...

Microsoft Frontpage 2002 works really well and doesn't butcher your HTML code.

By the way to stay on topic the VCF was updated again today, more minor bug fixes. Perhaps this could last a week longer at most...