BCM Solar Systems

modarken

Curiousity brought this up more than anything. I was just wondering wether or not the planets in the solar systems actually rotate around the sun. This probably wont make a difference to gameplay so I'm guessing they dont rotate, but maybe for some planets closer to the sun they would make a difference. Either way I'm sure there are day/night cycles.

This brings up another question. Is there a time difference between realworld and gametime. Say I want to attack a military base at night, how long do I have to wait till night approaches?

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: mO ]

- Orbits around the stars are useless... much too slow, and it wouldn't change change anything.

- The planets do rotate on themselves

- The gametime goes as fast as realtime, and no "cheats" this time. If you find a base at 3pm VRT and want to wait until 9pm, you'll have to wait 6 hours of RT.

The planets do not revolve around the sun, for 2 reasons.

1, the sun is a static graphic in space.

2, the "planet" spacial zone is just that, a cube-shaped zone with a planet and some other stuff in it.

I think this issue was addressed in the thread titled "Travel to stars?" or something similar

In BCM the planets do orbit the Sun (now a 3D spatial object).

They also rotate (which is what gives the day/night cycles) in an orbital plane. If you look in the VCF, you will a description of how to check this using debug mode.

You're just not going to see this orbital plane or rotation, by sitting there staring at it.

Because in REAL TIME - like BCM is, you would have to play the game nonstop for 365 days to see Earth rotate the sun... lol

I suppose you could just as well say that it's not moving...

hey would'nt that be cool if the orbit in the game was the same orbit in realife....umm if BCM took the system computer clock and went by that time you could wake up in the morning before you go to work, start BCM and find that on your part of the world it's morning.

yes oh well just an idea............

quote:

Originally posted by mO:

hey would'nt that be cool if the orbit in the game was the same orbit in realife....umm if BCM took the system computer clock and went by that time you could wake up in the morning before you go to work, start BCM and find that on your part of the world it's morning.

yes oh well just an idea............

YES! YES! SC I WANT THAT!

quote:

...umm if BCM took the system computer clock ...

AND!! add 3010 years to it before doing position calculations. So you would know what time of day it is 3010+ year into the future.

Usefull!!

Now it would be cool if we could really go stargazing. With some sort of telescope zoom thing. Perhaps that FP binoculars thing works good enough for looking at space things too. Max 16x zoom if I read it correctly. Not much, but perhaps if we ask the S... (gagged). Hey, never heard of BCM amateur astronomy?

[ 09-07-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

Yeah, for those of you you didn't play the demo episode 2, there are seperate temperate zones on planets, tropical, desert, snow, etc. Depending on how far you are from the equator (and the atmosphere of the planet)

It's too late probably to worry about ordering a cd from fileplanet since the full game will be out before too long.

• 1 year later...

I'm going to venture to guess that the SC is one of the most detail oriented people we will ever know.

two things of interest.

First, it would be pretty nifty if there was some way to assign meaningful names to the bases and such, or even the areas. Even if just on earth.

Second, and here's me being anal.

Why are all the planets on a 24 hour rotation? I'm 90% positive that accurate rotation data is available for as many planets as possible, and perhaps one could guesstimate the rest.

For instance, it would be neat to see, say, a 7 day cycle on Ganymede. It appears that one side of Ganymede always faces Jupiter, as the rotation and orbit are the same. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Anyhow, just some points to ponder.

quote:

Originally posted by Phreddo:

First, it would be pretty nifty if there was some way to assign meaningful names to the bases and such, or even the areas. Even if just on earth.

Ain't gonna happen. Ever

quote:

Second, and here's me being anal.

Why are all the planets on a 24 hour rotation?

Wrong. They are not

quote:

Anyhow, just some points to ponder.

How about you ponder on them and we call it even?

quote:

Originally posted by Phreddo:

but every planet i have seen is divided up into 24 longitudinal sections. guess i just equated those to 1 hour divisions.

Then next time, make sure you know what you're talking about before posting about it.

And no, not all planets have 24 longitudinal divisors.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about that Computer clock to RT in the game its not a godd idea cause one morning you might wake up to your ship floating lifeless. Heres why

COMLINK Computer

During the night while you were sleeping, computer off, and hopelessly unaware. I decided to spawn some GAM/MIL near your position and they happily picked at you for the 8 hours you were asleep.

HA HA!!!!Game Over

Next you guys will want a AP that launches Shuttles, Fighters,Turns on PTA, and changes your diaper for you.