Everything you always wanted to ask...

Papi

quote:

Originally posted by Jase:

Here's a question I don't think was asked yet.

Is it possible to map the buttons of multifunction game controllers to perform standard functions within the game, or do you have to rely on the game controller's keymapping utilities???

As important, if the answer of the above question is the latter (having to use the keymapping utils) is BCM compatible with them (many games aren't)???

Some keys and controls are mappable, others are not.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

About realistic flight model, he said he would (try to) include it in the post-release patch.

I'm no longer planning on it, as I find it to be a pointless and time consuming venture. I have other pressing things to do.

I've not been here much lately answering the questions, but there's a reason for this.

The questions have been either:

1. about things that have not been on the beta

2. about future patches

My idea was, that we, betatesters could answer the questions considering the state of the game before game went gold, so that all BC fans could have a idea of the game.

Now it turned out that only SC can answer most of the questions in this thread (and it's maybe taking his time all too much)

So it's my suggestion that this thread:

a) will be closed

B) will answer only questions that all of us betatesters can answer too

c) will go on as it is (because I'm as keen to read SC's answers as you are )

Ok how about this:

What races/castes ought a newbie start playing in right away if they want to have as diverse of an experience as possible, without being completely overwhelmed. E.g. a full-fledged Battlecruiser commander would let you have the most diverse experience but could be overwhelming for newbies. I'm asking this: what races/castes with smaller (and hence simpler) roles to play would introduce the newbie to BCM with as diverse of an experience as possible?

Or another way of looking at it: if Joe Newbie wanted to sit down with BCM for two hours and play one type of game, and then sit through another two and have a totally different but just as interesting or challenging experience - what races/castes would you recommend he try out?

Why am I asking? Well - for one thing most of us are probably newbies to playing as other races/castes. And two - before I settle down into a meat-n-potatoes campaign, I want to goof around a little to see what's out there. Who knows, it may even influence my decision on how to play a longer-term game...

This is a tough one Joel, but I think that "easiest" for the commanders familiar with bc3k would be terran/military, because that's what they are familiar with.

I'd suggest that everyone who's not familiar with BC world should start with TA missions, they are missions where you can't get hurt, but can try all kinds of things.

Then maybe move to IA missions, one off missions, of which you have already tried a few if you've played the demo.

I think after getting the feel of the game one can make a choice of a race/caste/career.

I think it's up to your own "taste" which race you choose, I didn't experience one being "easier" than other (speak up if any betatester did)

And of course if you want missions, then you have only two choices: terran/military or insurgent/military (but not for long, I suppose that someones already working on extra missions, somewhere in galaxy not very far away... )

Have the ship complements for previously existing stations (ie those that existed in BC3K) changed at all? Does Genesis for example have the same complement of ships it did in BC3K? Or have they been changed in some way?

Ooooppsss

My dyslexia kicked in again. Thought you were refering to crew compliment of various CC types. To Wit: Genesis it took as Generis

But to answer your question Badgerius: Station ship compliment data was not tracked/added in the appendix (old or new version) as it was for BC3K. However, ye never know need to dwell on that for a while.

TTFN

quote:

I think it's up to your own "taste" which race you choose, I didn't experience one being "easier" than other (speak up if any betatester did)

What about Caste? I found that being a Terran/trader was a much friendlier environment than being an Insurgent/anything.

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Ooooppsss

My dyslexia kicked in again. Thought you were refering to crew compliment of various CC types. To Wit: Genesis it took as Generis

But to answer your question Badgerius: Station ship compliment data was not tracked/added in the appendix (old or new version) as it was for BC3K. However, ye never know need to dwell on that for a while.

TTFN

The compliment of assets at stations has changed in BCM but that info is not tracked in the appendix because (a) its not relevant (B) it is only available in the GBS objclass.scr file (which I have yet to release) and © I forgot to tell Gallion to do it.

Gallion, if you want to do it, contact me.

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

Thank you for the responses, but I'm confused, why is it not relevant? I would think it would be vital information when choosing a CC.

It is not relevant because it is not related to the asset choices you have when you create a new game.

Oh? I thought a player was limited to the assets available to a station when choosing a CC. And that the total number of assets in the BC Universe was fixed.

Does that mean every player can pick a BC mkIII? How does it work?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, just to resurrect this thread, I've got a question...

One of the main functions of the ISS is intelligence, and a lot of military intelligence is carried out at the single operative level. This is best portrayed in the game as first person mode. What I was wondering is - can a player in first person mode actually sneak into a base or compound? In space craft mode, you are detected by the enemy as soon as you breach a certain range, but is it possible in FP mode to not be detected or tracked if, say, you don;t carry a DIE or active radar?

Hoping, 'cause this would pave the way for some cool FP missions for the ISS's Intelligence Command...*grin*.

-GD

quote:

Originally posted by DeSylva:

Yeah, just to resurrect this thread, I've got a question...

One of the main functions of the ISS is intelligence, and a lot of military intelligence is carried out at the single operative level. This is best portrayed in the game as first person mode. What I was wondering is - can a player in first person mode actually sneak into a base or compound? In space craft mode, you are detected by the enemy as soon as you breach a certain range, but is it possible in FP mode to not be detected or tracked if, say, you don;t carry a DIE or active radar?

Hoping, 'cause this would pave the way for some cool FP missions for the ISS's Intelligence Command...*grin*.

-GD

It depends on how you go in. DIE has nothing to do with active radar. It works differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Mhm, Question:

Is it Possible to Control a Base from some sort of Control Center to use this Rocket Silo┬┤s to Defend a Planet from his Base?

Cause i read somewhere it is possible a carrer as a Base Commander.

How called this Silo┬┤s...i think Starflash Silo┬┤s? This STO Weaponplatform┬┤s. Would be to nice to see such a Rocket in Action...never seen before this STO rocket in Action..or the complete Vehicles, will there later Usable to fire missiles....etc... like this Vehicles that look┬┤s like SCUD lunchers with Big Rockets etc.... or will be there more Tank┬┤s with different weapons for the Ground War?

Or will more Ground Units come in the Galaxy Wide War Addon?

quote:

Originally posted by Ferigad:

Mhm, Question:

Is it Possible to Control a Base from some sort of Control Center to use this Rocket Silo┬┤s to Defend a Planet from his Base?

Cause i read somewhere it is possible a carrer as a Base Commander.

No. And that career is not and never will be in BCM. Only in the XP1 add-on.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]